Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wing Extensions & other stuff to boost useful load

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> MurphyMoose-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Loray

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:47 am    Post subject: Wing Extensions & other stuff to boost useful load Reply with quote

Dear All,

I see that the Murphy website has pictures of Gerry Halsall's completed, nice-looking Moose. In the description, it mentions that it has the "Murphy extended wing tips."

Can anyone tell me if these extended wing tips increase the gross weight, like the ART Wing-X extensions do for the Cessnas?

I'm not yet a Moose owner. I'm seriously interested, but there are 2 things holding me back.

One is the useful load. I have a Cessna 185 now. On wheels, its useful load is 1,573 lbs. On amphib floats, its useful load is 926 lbs. I could increases those weights (legally) with the ART wing extensions by another 175 lbs.

But realistically, my 300 hp engine is going to struggle to get off the water at a 3,525 lb gross. Hence my very keen interest in the Moose.

But from what I'm hearing ... most Moose builders are getting empty weights on wheels in excess of 2,000 lbs. Although my understanding is that the builder can set the gross weight higher than what Murphy recommends. The M14 certainly has enough power to handle heavier weights, but I'm worried that the wing area isn't big enough. Hence the interest in the wing extensions.

The other big concern that's holding me back is the prop clearance on floats. My 185 has a seaplane prop that appears to have much more clearance than either of the MT props on the Moose. If I'm already picking up a lot of spray in the prop on my 185, I worry that it would be real issue with the Moose. (I fly off of open ocean in the Philippines).

If anyone could address these concerns, I sure would be appreciative.

Thanks,
Loray Greiner

- The Matronics MurphyMoose-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?MurphyMoose-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> MurphyMoose-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: