Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rudder trim inside the cockpit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV4-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
esmith6(at)satx.rr.com

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:18 pm    Post subject: Rudder trim inside the cockpit Reply with quote

OK, for you out there that have rear seat rudder pedals, it is an easy task to install a rudder trim...Get a turn buckle and a medium strength spring, and (you determine the size of each to fit your situation) hook the turn buckle to the right rear pedal, and the spring where the rear pedal PUSH ROD goes through the bulkhead.

To operate, push the right rudder pedal with your size 12 until you get the "ball" in the center, or where ever you want it, then start cranking the turn buckle to tighten the spring (this PULLS the rear pedal forward, and the right rudder forward) until you can remove your size 12 from the front rudder pedal, and maybe tweak it if necessary.

I know your thought now is, "suppose I forget it all in the traffic pattern," no problem, the spring might cause a little more pressure to be applied to the right rudder, but it works fine...If you think of it in time, you can reach down and disconnect the spring without even looking.

So you don't have rear rudder pedals?..No problem, get a aluminum rod, attach one end to the right rudder pedal right flange, drill a hole in your right side bulk head and install the rod through it, allowing enough length to work back and forth...For a long flight, get the "ball" where you want it, and IN THE FRONT OF THE BULK HEAD, attach a small pair of locking pliers to hold the rudder in place...LAUGH IF YOU WANT, but I used this for years to go to OSH and LCL before installing the rear seat rudder pedals (and never had right leg limp after arriving)...If you forget about it in the traffic pattern, KICK THE "DOG POO" out of the rudders and the pliers will fall off...(provided you didn't crank them too tight!)................Hope this helps someone out there, good luck and ....................CHEERS!!!!...............................Gene Smith.
[quote][b]

- The Matronics RV4-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV4-List
esmith6(at)satx.rr.com

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: Rudder trim inside the cockpit Reply with quote

OK, for you out there that have rear seat rudder pedals, it is an easy task to install a rudder trim...Get a turn buckle and a medium strength spring, and (you determine the size of each to fit your situation) hook the turn buckle to the right rear pedal, and the spring where the rear pedal PUSH ROD goes through the bulkhead.

To operate, push the right rudder pedal with your size 12 until you get the "ball" in the center, or where ever you want it, then start cranking the turn buckle to tighten the spring (this PULLS the rear pedal forward, and the right rudder forward) until you can remove your size 12 from the front rudder pedal, and maybe tweak it if necessary.

I know your thought now is, "suppose I forget it all in the traffic pattern," no problem, the spring might cause a little more pressure to be applied to the right rudder, but it works fine...If you think of it in time, you can reach down and disconnect the spring without even looking.

So you don't have rear rudder pedals?..No problem, get a aluminum rod, attach one end to the right rudder pedal right flange, drill a hole in your right side bulk head and install the rod through it, allowing enough length to work back and forth...For a long flight, get the "ball" where you want it, and IN THE FRONT OF THE BULK HEAD, attach a small pair of locking pliers to hold the rudder in place...LAUGH IF YOU WANT, but I used this for years to go to OSH and LCL before installing the rear seat rudder pedals (and never had right leg limp after arriving)...If you forget about it in the traffic pattern, KICK THE "DOG POO" out of the rudders and the pliers will fall off...(provided you didn't crank them too tight!)................Hope this helps someone out there, good luck and ....................CHEERS!!!!...............................Gene Smith.
[quote]

href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV4-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV4-List
href="http://forums.matronics.com">http://forums.matronics.com

[b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Jerry Grimmonpre'

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:57 am    Post subject: Rudder trim inside the cockpit Reply with quote

Gene ... your write-up sounds good, can you please send a picture or sketch of the rear rudder pedals and trim direct and off line? My 4 is all opened up right now so putting in rudder pedals is my next project ... I just need to know what works.
Jerry
jerry(at)mc.net (jerry(at)mc.net)
do not archive
[quote] ---

smokyray(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:24 am    Post subject: Rudder trim inside the cockpit Reply with quote

Jerry,

Gene's idea is great but is alot easier than that. All you need is a simple horseshoe shaped piece of .040 aluminum 3" wide. Drill a hole in one side and attach a small piece of mini bungee cord with a hook on one end and attach the cord to the horseshoe. You simply place the "U" in the Horseshoe over the rudder cable (next to your right thigh) with pressure on the rudder inflight with the hook over the edge of the fwd fuselage bulkhead. Release the pressure and voila' the cable pressure over-center moves the U to one side thus holding the cable where you put it. Same principal as a strap for climbing palm trees...Smile

Very simple, cheap and works. I'll take a picture for you and post it...

Rob Ray

Jerry Grimmonpre <jerry(at)mc.net> wrote:[quote] Gene ... your write-up sounds good, can you please send a picture or sketch of the rear rudder pedals and trim direct and off line? My 4 is all opened up right now so putting in rudder pedals is my next project ... I just need to know what works.
Jerry
jerry(at)mc.net (jerry(at)mc.net)
do not archive
[quote] ---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV4-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: