Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help...Yak Stuck at Out Lying Field.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MajorGoofinoff(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Help...Yak Stuck at Out Lying Field. Reply with quote

Hey Guy,

Need some ideas.  Flew out for a burger today.  Climbed back into the old Yak 52 and when I hit the start button, nothing happened.  Now Pop of the Electro pneumatic start valve AND no buzz from the Shower of sparks.  Battery seems good and strong.  Checked the ignition switch with a multi meter which showed the switch as good, even jumped the switch with no luck.  Check continuity of the two round 30 AMP fuses in the fuse box under the dash. 

Anyone have past expericenc with this problem.  If the shower of sparks is back will that also keep the start valve from opening.  The start valve works with the foot switch, but I cannot get an advance spark from the shower of sparks.

Scott.
Cell 940-453-5256.

I plan on changing out the shower of sparks tomorrow at lunch.  Any idea please call or email.

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
brian

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject: Help...Yak Stuck at Out Lying Field. Reply with quote

MajorGoofinoff(at)aol.com wrote:
Quote:
I hit the start button, nothing happened. Now

I am guessing this was supposed to be "No" instead of "Now".

Quote:
Pop of the Electro pneumatic start valve AND no buzz from the Shower of
sparks. Battery seems good and strong. Checked the ignition switch
with a multi meter which showed the switch as good, even jumped the
switch with no luck. Check continuity of the two round 30 AMP fuses in
the fuse box under the dash.

Don't rush to change the boost coil. Since the problem affects both the
boost coil and the air solenoid, I would look at the components that are
common to both first.

--
Brian Lloyd 361 Catterline Way
brian-yak at lloyd dot com Folsom, CA 95630
+1.916.367.2131 (voice) +1.270.912.0788 (fax)

I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things . . .
- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things . . .
- Antoine de Saint-Exupery
dsavarese(at)elmore.rr.co

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:21 am    Post subject: Help...Yak Stuck at Out Lying Field. Reply with quote

Check the position of the switch in the rear cockpit to make sure it is in
the UP position, giving start control to the front cockpit. It's the one
next to the flap lights.
Dennis

---

Rob Rowe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:13 am    Post subject: Re: Help...Yak Stuck at Out Lying Field. Reply with quote

Scott,

Presume, as you've got power at the master "battery" breaker switch, that you can hear the battery relay operating & the "battery on" green warning light illuminates in the rear cockpit annunciator panel (far left side, second up from bottom) - correct? As without this battery relay working nothing else will get powered.

Believe the switch Dennis alluded to is in fact for magneto isolation (isolates front cockpit) & should not be a factor here ... apologies to Dennis if I'm wrong!

The starter push buttons in both cockpits are wired in parallel ... so may be worth trying to start from the rear cockpit in case your front button is u/s.

The starter push button(s) operates a relay whose contacts energise both the shower of sparks unit and the air solenoid ... the power to the button / contacts is from the "ignition" switch on the front bank (#3). So worth checking that this 10A breaker switch has 28V ... fyi this also powers the oil dilution switch / solenoid.

If nil power at the ignition breaker switch then possibly the 30A DC fuse may have blown ... but this will have taken a lot of other kit out too so easy to check (pitot heat / u/c & flap lights / radio / intercom / PAG1 inverter & G meter!).

I can email you a simplified electrical schematic if this helps visualise the layout ... let us know how you get on.

Cheers, Rob R
G-YAKX

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:11 am    Post subject: Help...Yak Stuck at Out Lying Field. Reply with quote

In a message dated 2/9/2006 12:45:06 AM Central Standard Time, brian-yak(at)lloyd.com writes:
Quote:
I am guessing this was supposed to be "No" instead of "Now".

Quote:
Pop of the Electro pneumatic start valve AND no buzz from the Shower of
sparks.  Battery seems good and strong.  Checked the ignition switch
with a multi meter which showed the switch as good, even jumped the
switch with no luck.  Check continuity of the two round 30 AMP fuses in
the fuse box under the dash.

Don't rush to change the boost coil. Since the problem affects both the
boost coil and the air solenoid, I would look at the components that are
common to both first

Yes,  That is what I am thinking, its an electron problem that affects both the boost coil and the start valve.  BUT, does or have anyone seen this problem before.  Is there fuse somewhere?  Broken wire maybe?  I am off to work on it today.  Timing of course sucks.  I am out of town on Sunday for three weeks of Military duty with my reserve unit.  If I can't get it fix today or tomorrow it will have to sit at the out laying field.

Tried to get it to start with just the mags and no boost coil.  It just kicks backwards when the mags fire.  I do have two spare boost coils and some wire with me today.  The M14P maintenance manual list two reasons for the motor not to start as a bad boost coil and a bad battery. 

Now I have had a bad battery before, and it did affect the start valve, but the foot switch on the start valve worked like a champ.  I don't think its the battery.  However I do have my 24V charger with me today along with my APU plug.

I think there is a broken wire or fuse as I said above, so maybe I can wire juice right to the boost coil and get her lit off.

Will advise later what I found out.

Scott.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:16 am    Post subject: Help...Yak Stuck at Out Lying Field. Reply with quote

In a message dated 2/9/2006 5:22:09 AM Central Standard Time, dsavarese(at)elmore.rr.com writes:
Quote:

Check the position of the switch in the rear cockpit to make sure it is in
the UP position, giving start control to the front cockpit.  It's the one
next to the flap lights.
Dennis

Yep,  Done that.  Even tried to start from the back.  Its dead too.  I ask all of you to dig in the books today, while I work on the problem.  See if you can find a COMMON point in wiring of the start circuit.  I know I have power leaving the ignition switch on the lower right hand side of the cockpit.  You know,  Battery, Gen, Ignition.  I have not put a multi meter on the start buttons yet.  Plan to do that today. Also plan to look for broken or loose wires.

Scott.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:25 am    Post subject: Help...Yak Stuck at Out Lying Field. Reply with quote

In a message dated 2/9/2006 6:15:53 AM Central Standard Time, yak-list(at)robrowe.plus.com writes:
Quote:
The starter push buttons in both cockpits are wired in parallel ... so may be worth trying to start from the rear cockpit in case your front button is u/s.

The starter push button(s) operates a relay whose contacts energise both the shower of sparks unit and the air solenoid ... the power to the button / contacts is from the "ignition" switch on the front bank (#3). So worth checking that this 10A breaker switch has 28V ... fyi this also powers the oil dilution switch / solenoid.
Where is this magical relay?  This fits my problem..  Checked the continuity of these two 30A DC fuses and they made a nice tone on the multi meter.   Yes, the 10A ignition switch shows power flowing out when turned on.

Quote:

If nil power at the ignition breaker switch then possibly the 30A DC fuse may have blown ... but this will have taken a lot of other kit out too so easy to check (pitot heat / u/c & flap lights / radio / intercom / PAG1 inverter & G meter!).

I can email you a simplified electrical schematic if this helps visualise the layout .. let us know how you get on.

Cheers, Rob R
G-YAKX

Rod,
    Please email the schematic.   You can send it to Teal38 or MajorGoofinoff  both at AOL.com

Thanks Scott.

pilling.k(at)btconnect.co

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:15 am    Post subject: Help...Yak Stuck at Out Lying Field. Reply with quote

I trust you have actually tested the available battery voltage ?

kp
[quote] ---

dsavarese(at)elmore.rr.co

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject: Help...Yak Stuck at Out Lying Field. Reply with quote

If you don't get the "click" when you turn on the battery switch, the big red/orange relay in the gray box inside the inspection panel on the right has probably gone T.U.
Dennis

[quote] ---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: