Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Flight Suits -The dead horse RISES

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
viperdoc(at)mindspring.co

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: Flight Suits -The dead horse RISES Reply with quote

Gang,
Personally, I wear a flight suit some of the time and don't other times. Just depends on do I plan on getting crazy or not. Not worried about getting lucky in the bar. After 32 years with the same bride, I don't need the heartaches associated with infidelity! I got LUCKY!
I look at the flight suit as a way to minimize the risk of something getting free from my pockets and end up the bellcrank on the backside of a loop, Cuban 8, Split S ect.. I also hate sitting on my wallet on that parachute for an hour also.  I know I could just dump my pockets before I go fly. In the summer down here in LA, I fly with shorts that have zippered cargo pockets. Now that is a lot of exposed skin to Bar-B-Q if something torches. Now, how many inflight YAK / ChiJAK fires have occured here in the Colonies anyway? I can not recall any in my limited association with the RPA community. Key word Brian, limited association!
As Stitch has said in the past, myself included, cotton offers more protection from polonged exposure to fire than Nomex. All Nomex offers if flash fire protection when the bang seat ,as some call it, launches your little pink ass rudely out into that 00 to 600+ kts slipstream! We are not talking about roasting the duck in the cockpit just sitting there in a flaming pit. If that happens, well it was just your unlucky day! Just hope you do not take to many deep breaths frying your lungs and were not wearing your nylon/banlon party suit! It'll be along time on the ventilator and hours spent in the OR/ Burn unit getting a new skin attached! That's if you are worried about getting burned.
It all boils down to choices. It could be your chesnuts roasting in the fire. Maybe mine if I have a bad day. When that day comes, I may or may not have a flight suit on. Just depends ...just depends...just keep beat'n that horse...As for the bar...Well some of the members need not need to worry about getting lucky wearing a flight suit...A TRENCH COAT and a TENT would be more fitting!

Viperdoc

Roger "Doc" Kemp
viperdoc(at)mindspring.com (viperdoc(at)mindspring.com)
Aint no sound like a Radial

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
brian

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject: Flight Suits -The dead horse RISES Reply with quote

Roger Kemp wrote:

Quote:
It all boils down to choices. It could be your chesnuts roasting in the
fire. Maybe mine if I have a bad day. When that day comes, I may or may
not have a flight suit on. Just depends ...just depends...just keep
beat'n that horse...As for the bar...Well some of the members need not
need to worry about getting lucky wearing a flight suit...A TRENCH COAT
and a TENT would be more fitting!

With you 100% on this one doc.

--
Brian Lloyd 361 Catterline Way
brian-yak at lloyd dot com Folsom, CA 95630
+1.916.367.2131 (voice) +1.270.912.0788 (fax)

I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things . . .
- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things . . .
- Antoine de Saint-Exupery
gus.fraser(at)gs.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:01 am    Post subject: Flight Suits -The dead horse RISES Reply with quote

Doc I agree,
The reason I started taking this risk more seriously is that my tail wheel long legged, bubble canopied baby poses risks that did not exist as much in the Yak. There are too many stories of RV owners tipping over only to get trapped.

Gus

Quote:
From: owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Roger Kemp
Sent: Monday, February 13, 2006 9:36 PM
To: yak-list
Subject: Flight Suits -The dead horse RISES

Gang,
Personally, I wear a flight suit some of the time and don't other times. Just depends on do I plan on getting crazy or not. Not worried about getting lucky in the bar. After 32 years with the same bride, I don't need the heartaches associated with infidelity! I got LUCKY!
I look at the flight suit as a way to minimize the risk of something getting free from my pockets and end up the bellcrank on the backside of a loop, Cuban 8, Split S ect.. I also hate sitting on my wallet on that parachute for an hour also.  I know I could just dump my pockets before I go fly. In the summer down here in LA, I fly with shorts that have zippered cargo pockets. Now that is a lot of exposed skin to Bar-B-Q if something torches. Now, how many inflight YAK / ChiJAK fires have occured here in the Colonies anyway? I can not recall any in my limited association with the RPA community. Key word Brian, limited association!
As Stitch has said in the past, myself included, cotton offers more protection from polonged exposure to fire than Nomex. All Nomex offers if flash fire protection when the bang seat ,as some call it, launches your little pink ass rudely out into that 00 to 600+ kts slipstream! We are not talking about roasting the duck in the cockpit just sitting there in a flaming pit. If that happens, well it was just your unlucky day! Just hope you do not take to many deep breaths frying your lungs and were not wearing your nylon/banlon party suit! It'll be along time on the ventilator and hours spent in the OR/ Burn unit getting a new skin attached! That's if you are worried about getting burned.
It all boils down to choices. It could be your chesnuts roasting in the fire. Maybe mine if I have a bad day. When that day comes, I may or may not have a flight suit on. Just depends ...just depends...just keep beat'n that horse...As for the bar...Well some of the members need not need to worry about getting lucky wearing a flight suit...A TRENCH COAT and a TENT would be more fitting!

Viperdoc

Roger "Doc" Kemp
viperdoc(at)mindspring.com (viperdoc(at)mindspring.com)
Aint no sound like a Radial

aerobaticgirl(at)yahoo.co

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: Flight Suits -The dead horse RISES Reply with quote

Doc, you know as well as I do that *post crash* fire is the main culprit of burns, not in-flight!  Oh, and as far as wearing shorts....stick your hand out so I can slap it!  Have you read the bailout procedures lately?  Kneel down on one knee in the foot pan and propel yourself out the appropriate side...ugh!  Shorts...ouch!  And let Ricky B tell you about the time he was pushing 5 and pulling 9 in shorts.  The giblets were not happy with that chute on!  Don't envy you pilots with a kickstand!

Smash

Roger Kemp <viperdoc(at)mindspring.com> wrote:
Quote:
Now, how many inflight YAK / ChiJAK fires have occured here in the Colonies anyway? I can not recall any in my limited association with the RPA community.

Brings words and photos together (easily) with
[url=http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail_us/taglines/PMall/*http://photomail.mail.yahoo.com]PhotoMail [/url] - it's free and works with Yahoo! Mail.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: