Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yak 52 Fabric

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Bell

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: Yak 52 Fabric Reply with quote

I am about to recover my Yak 52 control surfaces and have a couple of questions. I removed the rudder fabric and discovered the unusual way they do their rib-stitching. The ribs are drilled and the stiches go chord-wise instead of around the rib span-wise like most aircraft. Is this how others are doing the stitching?

The yellow Russian primer is almost immune to MEK. That's supposed to mean it's OK to use Stits products without re-priming everything. Anybody had trouble with Stits being imcompatible with Russian primer?

I have read of several fixes for cracked paint on the rudder. One thing that looks like it would help is to use 2 inch finishing tapes. The Russians use one inch, and that leaves the fabric directly touching the forward edge of the trailing edge metal with no reinforcement. My cracks seem to come from that area and radiate forward. Two-inch tapes on the ribs would stiffen the fabric too.

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List

Frank

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject: Yak 52 Fabric Reply with quote

Mike
The Russian primer is impervious to even paint stripper. I had to remove
some from a few parts and I found a witches brew of MEK, 100LL, paint
stripper, JET A and a few other things I can't remember did the job.....but
not without allot of scrubbing Smile

Don't worry about the Russian primer...it's some of the best in the
business. Your covering process won't touch it.

As viewed from the rear, the upper left part of the rudder is prone to
cracking on all YAKs due to pounding from the prop blast. Some people have
put hard foam formers under this area to stiffen the fabric and help keep
the paint from cracking due to the prop blast.

Frank

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Frank

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:42 am    Post subject: Yak 52 Fabric Reply with quote

OH, Mike

Forgot to mention that instead of rib stitching you can use the fabric
rivets from Aircraft Spruce PN 09-18900.

I've had them on my ailerons and elevator for 4 years now and no problems.

Regards
Frank

cdustercc

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: Yak 52 Fabric Reply with quote

I recently un-covered a bunch of control surfaces with the hard foam treatment inside. They all had moisture damage. It was apparent that they had been primed and painted before covering, but the foam held enough moisture to rust the tubing severly. These were all in ag service so they were treated roughly and they had been sealed up for an estimated twenty years. The foam was heavier than you would think so ballancing would be a concern. I have read that on some severe applications, instead of using tape, people have double covered surfaces with success. I think they used a heavy grade to cover, followed by the medium weight fabric all over instead of just where you overlap metal. A gentleman at sun-n-fun told me that is how they used to cover the Howard DGA.

dsavarese(at)elmore.rr.co

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:15 am    Post subject: Yak 52 Fabric Reply with quote

The best fix I've seen so far, (I have no knowledge of using the Styrofoam
technique), is to put two round "button patches" about 1.5" in diameter,
sewn between the surfaces of the rudder. One about 3-4" in front of the
trailing edge of the rudder midway between the ribs and the second one about
8-10" forward of that. This pulls the fabric taunt and helps eliminate the
resonant vibrations we experience from the prop and so much left rudder. If
I'm not mistaken, the first Yak 52W's which did not have the metalized
control surfaces, had these button patches from the Aerostar factory.
Dennis

---

george(at)gesoco.com

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:47 am    Post subject: Yak 52 Fabric Reply with quote

Mike,
We use the Russian way of stitching. We also add a few "dollar" patches in
the middle of the span on the rudder and a few stitches between the sides at
the "dollar" patches. This helps keep the fabric from "drumming" and
cracking paints.

George Coy
President
Gesoco Industries Inc.
629 Airport Rd.
Swanton, VT 05488
TEL 802-868-5633
FAX 802-868-4465
Web Site www.gesoco.com
e-mail George(at)gesoco.com
Franklin County Airport (KFSO)

--

Mike Bell

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Yak 52 Fabric Reply with quote

Thanks to all for the on and off-line fabric advice. The "dollar" patches with a stitch over to the other side of the rudder seems to be a good fix for paint cracking. FWIW I recently attended the EAA weekend fabric class and asked the very experienced instructor if he had any suggestions and his was the same. The triangle patch sounds like a good idea too. Frank, the rivets instead of rib-stitching has a lot of appeal, and it's used on some certified aircraft. Do they stick up above the rib? I would hate to have something on a Yak-52 that's not totally flush with the airflow....

dsavarese(at)elmore.rr.co

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:46 am    Post subject: Yak 52 Fabric Reply with quote

Yeah....it might increase the drag and slow it down.....or cause adverse yaw
or something........not!!! -)
Dennis

---

Frank

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:10 am    Post subject: Yak 52 Fabric Reply with quote

Mike
The rivets are low profile. The amount they stick up is hardly noticeable as
you tape over them just like you would with stitching. Any aerodynamic
affects I think are minimal.
Frank
--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: