Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Coils

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> JabiruEngine-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TELEDYNMCS(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:54 am    Post subject: Coils Reply with quote

In a message dated 9/11/2007 2:58:42 AM Eastern Daylight Time, jabiruengine-list(at)matronics.com writes:
Quote:
Its very likely the coil, this problem had been occuring to earlier coils, have
not heard much trouble since the 'leading GX' coils were replaced with the 'TEK'
ones some time ago. Also there should be fitted or retrofitted some heat insulating
washers under the coils and air cooling tubes to cool the coils, details
in the installation instructions on dealers websites, or in the series of
articles called 'jaba chat' off the jabiru website. The 'transistorised' parts
are inside the coil packs, just bolt in a replacement coil.

Greetings team,

FWIW, both the coils that came on my 3300 failed. My engine is 33A756, purchased in January 05. One of the coils was dysfunctional at the first start up, and the other failed within about the first 20 hours or so. Both were way out of spec when measuring the secondary side with an ohm meter. Clearly, they were bad and it wasn't a gap issue. Both came from the factory installed with the phenolic washers installed behind them.

I replaced both of the failed coils at my expense, at roughly $160 each, and returned the failed coils to the dealer for warranty replacement. That was well over a year ago and although I've mentioned it several times to the dealer, Jabiru hasn't made good on either of the coils. In fact, they've made no effort to respond whatsoever. I also had a bad oil pressure sender which failied at about 30 hours, and that, too, was replaced at my expense. I also returned the OP sender to Jabiru for warranty replacement, but haven't heard a peep out of them. I had expected more from Jabiru, but they seem to be following the "Rotaxian" model of customer service.

Interestingly, the replacement coils, although appearing to be manufactured by the same vendor, were considerably different from the ones that came on the engine. The new coils, obtained from two different Jab dealers, were larger and had a different orientation of the coil wire where it exits the body of the coil. I took pictures of the differences between the old and new coils and showed them to the dealer from whom I purchased my engine, but it didn't seem to help my case one iota. IOW, I'm convinced that Jabiru knew they had a problem with the original coils that came on the engine. Otherwise, they wouldn't have changed to the larger size. The replacement coils have operated flawlessly for about 80 hours now, but I still keep a spare on the shelf just in case.

Regards,

John Lawton
Whitwell, TN (TN89)
Europa N245E - Flying -107 hours

See what's new at AOL.com and Make AOL Your Homepage.
[quote][b]

- The Matronics JabiruEngine-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List
Andy Silvester

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: Coils Reply with quote

Hi John and Listers,

Here's the situation with coils and Jabiru: warranty replacements were available for the 'Leading GX' types which were know to have a batch problem, some 3-4 years ago, and we as dealers made sure we replaced them as soon as the new ones were available. Since then, Jabiru haven't recognized any subsequent failures and refer to the following facts:
1. Engines are dyno-tested at the factory and leave in fully working order.
2. Coils break-down in over heating conditions so they recommend in their manuals for additional air cooling to the coils from the ram-air ducts.

OK, that's the 'Jabiru' line. Of course as dealers we try to manage the interface between the factory and customers, but if Jabiru refuse to honor a warranty claim, the issue is with us to either resolve or not. In John's case, I did my best to get the two coils changed under warranty, but Jabiru insisted it must have been an installation issue. My mistake was not to keep John fully informed of the situation and eventual decision, but it's often tricky to keep track of these things when they drag-on for months while we wait for a factory response.

John, I will try to 'make-good' by offering you a $200 store - credit for parts, but bear in mind this is a 'Suncoast' gesture and not from Jabiru

Andy Silvester
Suncoast Sportplanes, Inc.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

japhillipsga(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject: Coils Reply with quote

Andy, I knew you wee a standup guy when I first met you. Hurah for Andy and Suncoast! A man and company worthy of our business. Best regards, Bill of Georgia

--

mefriesen(at)mts.net

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:52 pm    Post subject: Coils Reply with quote

I'm impressed! Thanks Andy for the care you give to Jabiru engine owners.

Mervin Friesen
--

jimlc

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject: Coils Reply with quote

"Jabiru haven't recognized any subsequent failures
and refer to the following facts:
2. Coils break-down in over heating conditions so they recommend in their
manuals for additional air cooling to the coils from the ram-air ducts."

And if they fail with the additional cooling? So much for honoring their warranty! I'm not impressed.

Jim Crowder

[quote] --

Kayberg(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:55 am    Post subject: Coils Reply with quote

In a message dated 9/12/2007 12:27:04 AM Eastern Daylight Time, jimlc(at)att.net writes:
Quote:
"Jabiru haven't recognized any subsequent failures
and refer to the following facts:
2. Coils break-down in over heating conditions so they recommend in their
manuals for additional air cooling to the coils from the ram-air ducts."

And if they fail with the additional cooling? So much for honoring their warranty! I'm not impressed.

Jim Crowder

As one who is in the warrantee service business in an unrelated product field, I want to stick up for the manufacturer. I frequently see installations that are well outside the factory perameters but the owners are quick to blame the manufacturer. That is also happening in the Experimental Aircraft world.

Airflow through a Jab engine is the key issue, from my experience. Do it right one time and life is good. Use the recomended prop, shrouds, cooling tubes, oil cooler and cowling exits and be rewarded. If you dont, I suggest you be prepared to spend your own money on new parts.

People like to criticise manufacturers like Rotax and Jabiru when there are problems, as tho the engines come with perpetual care. But much of the complaining is undeserved, IMHO. The Jab importers bend over backwards to deal with problems, it seems to me.

Doug

See what's new a_blank">Make AOL Your Homepage.
[quote][b]

jimlc

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:44 am    Post subject: Coils Reply with quote

Doug wrote:
People like to criticize manufacturers like Rotax and Jabiru when there are problems, as tho the engines come with perpetual care. But much of the complaining is undeserved, IMHO. The Jab importers bend over backwards to deal with problems, it seems to me."

I have no complaint personally, but selling a product with a warranty and then saying we tested it when produced and since it will fail if not properly installed, then we consider any failure to be the fault of the installation, is to say we do not warrant it. Parts can fail for other reasons. In practice we may just need to show that we did install it properly, or if we are lucky we may not ever need to test their interpretation. However, what they are saying is not impressive.

For my part, I am forewarned and I plan to take extensive pictures of my installation before even starting it up and of course I will take great pains to do it right following to the best of my ability factory instructions, as I am now doing.

Jim Crowder

[quote] --

TELEDYNMCS(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:49 am    Post subject: Coils Reply with quote

In a message dated 9/12/2007 2:58:52 AM Eastern Daylight Time, jabiruengine-list(at)matronics.com writes:
Quote:
OK, that's the 'Jabiru' line.

Hi Andy and all,

Just so everybody will know, I'm not in any way trying to slam you or Suncoast. My previous comments were directed at Jabiru. Your support has been excellent. Jabiru, on the other hand, leaves a bit to be desired. Thanks for your generous offer of the $200 credit, but I won't be taking you up on that because I don't think it's right for you to have to dig into your own pocket to make up for a shortcoming of the factory. This issue is between me and Jabiru, but I don't hold out much hope that they will make good on it and that will certainly factor in to whether or not I purchase another Jabiru in the future should the need arise.

I am surprised that Jabiru refuses to warranty my coils for two reasons. One, the left coil was failed at the first start up. It was way out of spec on the secondary side when measured with an ohm meter (Fluke 87) per Jabiru instructions. This clearly wasn't my fault since I'd never run the engine before the discovery of the failed coil. If this coil failed due to heat, it failed when the factory did the initial run-in. My engine was installed per Jabiru guidelines and the cooling tubes were installed from the head intake ducts to the coils per Jabiru instructions. I have not noted any discoloration, checking or any other signs that the coils were overheated.

Secondly, the second coil failed at about 30 hours. While this one could have indeed failed due to engine heat, I don't think that is the case because nothing has changed in my set up and the coils currently installed on the engine have been there since 0 hours and 30 hours respectively. If there was a heat issue in my setup these other coils would have also probably failed. One has 107+ hours on it and the other has 77+ hours on it and the engine runs like a top.

When I got the replacement coils, two from you and the other from Pete, (I keep a spare on the shelf now just in case) they were considerably different from the coils that came on the engine. The new coils were not only larger, but had a different orientation of the coil wire where it exits the body of the coil. They did appear to be from the same vendor, though. It seems clear to me that Jabiru knew they had a problem with the original, smaller coils and that prompted the change to the new, larger coil. I don't understand their Rotaxian attitude, though. All I'm asking is for them to make good on the warranty agreement they provided when I purchased my engine.

FWIW, I pretty much have my cooling issues under control on all but the hottest days, and then I only see elevated temps in CHT's in climb on the left side. I am sourcing a manometer and I'll do some measuring and see where I'm at. My guess is I have adequate cooling flow, per Jabiru parameters already. The real question is if I do indeed have adequate cooling flow, and I'm able to prove it, will Jabiru make good on the failed coils?
I won't be a holdin' my breath on that one.....

Regards,

John Lawton
Whitwell, TN (TN89)
Europa N245E - Flying - 107 hours

See what's new="_blank">Make AOL Your Homepage.
[quote][b]

Kayberg(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:48 am    Post subject: Coils Reply with quote

In a message dated 9/12/2007 10:45:44 AM Eastern Daylight Time, jimlc(at)att.net writes:
Quote:

I have no complaint personally, but selling a product with a warranty and then saying we tested it when produced and since it will fail if not properly installed, then we consider any failure to be the fault of the installation, is to say we do not warrant it. Parts can fail for other reasons. In practice we may just need to show that we did install it properly, or if we are lucky we may not ever need to test their interpretation. However, what they are saying is not impressive.

For my part, I am forewarned and I plan to take extensive pictures of my installation before even starting it up and of course I will take great pains to do it right following to the best of my ability factory instructions, as I am now doing.

I think some distinction needs to be made between individual part defects and damage caused by installation. In the case of the coils, if it can be demonstrated that high temps fail the coils and at correct temps they last for ever, then there is some probablility that if TWO coils fail immediatly on the same engine, and the failure rate on that particular batch was very low; then one should conclude that installation had something to do with it; ie high temps.

It would then be up to the owner to justify how his installation DID NOT cause high temps.

But another problem has to do with the age of the engine. Homebuilders often buy their engines too early in the build and aging on the shelf causes damage. That is why the warrantees to not start when the engine is first run. That and other situations can cause failures that ARE NOT the factory's problem.

I would just add that a good relationship with the dealer is essential for good warrantee support. Some folks will try to save a few bucks by internet shopping but lose the advantage of a friendly dealer. I know all the Jab dealers in the USA and they are extremely helpful.   They all seem to go the extra mile to help a customer who asks for help.

Just an observation from experience: People in the service business cannot resist someone who ASKS for their help , perhaps even begs. But customers who try to dump all their emotions on a dealer and "DEMAND SATISFACTION" can find themselves in a real pickle. Wether a passive-aggressive response or a "pissed aggressive" response from a dealer, the result is biting the hand that feeds you.

I think it is more important to have a dealer on your side than to do exactly what a manual says. Manuals simply cannot contain all necessary wisdom.

Just a thought or two.

doug koenigsberg

Make AOL Your Homepage.
[quote][b]

Andy Silvester

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Coils Reply with quote

All you guys are making sensible and valid points - thanks. I re-read my original response about John's two coil failures and perhaps should clarify. There really is no 'Jabiru Policy' about what, and what isn't agreed as a warranty replacement. Yes, there is a warranty document which says that parts and labor are warranted - and I think Jabiru's warranty which DOES start from first-run and not the date of purchase is fairer than most. 'Obvious' mechanical failures and breakages are of course warranted where there can be no question about the way the failure occurred. However, people do overheat coils, which fail and they claim under warranty. Similarly with overheating heads. Jabiru have seen all these before and tend to be ready with a less than favorable answer, so for us dealers, the onus is with us to go against the flow and 'prove' the operator or installation wasn't at fault. In John's case I obviously didn't do a good enough job providing the proof, because of course his were genuine warranty issues. It was a while ago and I can't remember specifically, but I probably caught the Jabiru factory guy on an off day or just after he's rejected someone else's claim for free replacements - who knows?
What I'm saying is that ultimately, the decision on the replacement of parts which could have been mis-used is both subjective and somewhat inconsistent. People are involved in the decision process and so it's fallible. I'm not defending or criticising necessarily - it's just the way it is. I'd be interested to learn how any small company (Jabiru isn't Lycoming) can do it differently and stay in business. They obviously can't honor every claim which is presented, because a good number are due to abuse of the engine through poor installation.
John's claim is reasonable so I'll have another go at Jabiru with the hope of success this time.

Andy Silvester
Suncoast Sportplanes Inc.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> JabiruEngine-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: