Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

dynamic balance

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> JabiruEngine-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peter H

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject: dynamic balance Reply with quote

Buzz,
My J3300 has only 30 hrs in the Quickie and is a buzz combination, but there is one issue that I think is very important. During flight occasionally I found a slight low frequency vibration. Grounded during extended bad weather I spent 3 days at home static balancing the prop/spinner/backing plate combo. Very tedious but I made it perfect. Soon after in flight and when decelerating and turning left I got massive scary low frequency vibration enough to shake the cowl and it did not disappear as I cut throttle. I got the setup dynamic balanced a 3/4hr job. From the first weight attachment the engine was totally different and silky smooth. It took a ¼”bolt ¾” long with nut and washer mounted in the backing plate 4” from centre and NO WAY is the prop combination now in static balance. The dynamic balance has cured an engine imbalance. I would recommend it to all J3300 operators because I think this kind of engine imbalance contributes to the problem of flywheel bolts breaking. (My engine was updated and factory rebuilt to zero hours last year)
Peter H

From: owner-jabiruengine-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-jabiruengine-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of N1BZRich(at)aol.com
Sent: Saturday, 29 September 2007 1:34 AM
To: jabiruengine-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: JabiruEngine-List: 3300 OP sensor

All,

My 3300 engine is serial # 843 and has 366 hours in the last 21 months in my highly modified Esqual LS (Lightning Stuff). During the first 50 hours or so the oil pressure sender was replaces twice under warranty by my dealer - USA Jabiru in Tennessee. They are absolutely great people. The symptoms were oil pressure fluctuations as was previously mentioned and the VDO sender has been problem free. If any of you have not been to their engine seminar, I highly recommend it. By the way, during the 366 hours the engine has been outstanding, requiring only routine maintenance. I change oil and filter every 25 to 30 hours, re-torque the heads and adjust the valves on schedule, and change plugs every 100 hours.

Blue Skies,

Buz Rich

See what's n="_blank">Make AOL Your Homepage.
Quote:
http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

- The Matronics JabiruEngine-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

N1BZRich(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:26 am    Post subject: dynamic balance Reply with quote

Peter,
Good information. Do you have the equipment to do the dynamic balance or did you have it commercially done? So far, any prop/spinner vibration that I have felt on several different 3300 powered airplanes has turned out to be the fiberglass spinner or back plate that was way out of balance. I feel sure that aluminum spinners will turn out to be much better balanced from the source.
Blue Skies,
Buz

See what's new atblank">Make AOL Your Homepage.
[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

N1BZRich(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:28 am    Post subject: dynamic balance Reply with quote

Peter, I forgot to ask what prop you are using?
Buz

[quote][b]

Peter H

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:24 pm    Post subject: dynamic balance Reply with quote

Buz,
It was the local maintenance shop that did the job. We did it in the hangar as they wanted no wind factor and ran it up to 2700RPM static with the tail wheel tied to a post. The equipment cost over $6000. A vibration sensor was bolted to the crank case near centre top and a laser read rpm and position from a reflector on the prop. A very accurate electronic scale was used to weigh the washers which were intitially attached to a spinner attach screw. Finally we computed a larger equivalent weight to attach out of sight on the backing plate. iWe ran it up three times with minor adjustments to the weight but from the first weight attachment the engine ran remarkably smoother.
I think Pete has got the equipment, not sure where you both are. I am in Queensland OZ.
Regards
Peter

From: owner-jabiruengine-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-jabiruengine-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of N1BZRich(at)aol.com
Sent: Sunday, 30 September 2007 12:26 AM
Subject: Re: JabiruEngine-List: dynamic balance

Peter,

Good information. Do you have the equipment to do the dynamic balance or did you have it commercially done? So far, any prop/spinner vibration that I have felt on several different 3300 powered airplanes has turned out to be the fiberglass spinner or back plate that was way out of balance. I feel sure that aluminum spinners will turn out to be much better balanced from the source.

Blue Skies,

Buz

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

Peter H

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:26 pm    Post subject: dynamic balance Reply with quote

Buz
It is made by Ed Sterba, a 55X 72” pitch.
Peter

Sent: Sunday, 30 September 2007 12:26 AM
Subject: Re: JabiruEngine-List: dynamic balance

Peter, I forgot to ask what prop you are using?

Buz

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> JabiruEngine-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: