Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RV4 Flap/Speed Brake

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV4-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
esmith6(at)satx.rr.com

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject: RV4 Flap/Speed Brake Reply with quote

Hey gang.............Educate me, and discuss this situation I would like to do to my RV-4...I would like to fly a normal Fighter Pilot traffic pattern, but my fixed pitch prop still provides some thrust even at idle, so I have to be almost out of sight on final to ever get it to slow down...To install a speed brake somewhere is too much for me, (and where?) sooooooo how about this: Modify my flap system to allow the flaps to go down to 90 degrees so I can get the proper airspeed on final and still be able to see the airpatch...LET ME HEAR FROM YOU...Be kind!

CHEERS,
Gene Smith
RV-4 flying 13 years
[quote][b]

- The Matronics RV4-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV4-List
Lee Logan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject: RV4 Flap/Speed Brake Reply with quote

Gene: Fly your normal "fighter" pattern: High, tight, and coming down steeply all the way by slipping it in. Is easily controlled and looks way cool too. Watch Patty Wagstaff or any of the other Extra/CAP/Edge etc. pilots landing and you'll know just what I mean (they do some serious slipping). You can slip an RV-4 big time and it will come down quickly and under complete control. I turn off the 180 just past my intended touchdown point and slip it all the way to the ground, commonly from 700' - 800' AGL but close aboard, beginning if necessary, right off the 180. I figure if I ever lose the engine, I just ease off the top rudder, level the wings a bit and enjoy (hopefully) enough leftover energy to readily make the runway engine out... If I lose it high enough (you might want to experiment on this with a good engine), I plan to raise the flaps slowly giving up altitude at first but ultimately extending my glide ratio. If too low to take the initial flaps up altitude loss, just fly on with what you have, slow it to right above stall to lower your total energy package and then no matter what, fly it all the way to the ground.

That's my plan, anyway...Hey! At least I have one!!

Ciao!

Shiloh...
[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

splitess(at)suscom-maine.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:26 pm    Post subject: RV4 Flap/Speed Brake Reply with quote

Gene,
Wouldn't change a thing except for me--changing my manual lever for the electric kit---would be an improvement. I HATE that damned manual flap lever. A speed brake or 90 degrees of flap seems excessive. I would think that swapping to a constant speed set up would be the preferable solution. Slowing the RV4 down is certainly a trick. I start well before the "standard" a-beam the numbers approach and pull the throttle back to about 1100 rpm (0-360, fixed pitch), dump all the flaps at once at 100 mph and hit a somewhat shorter turn to base then final. I use a touch of throttle to adjust descent rate and I am usually successful in crossing the fence between 65 and 70 without having to fly a long and risky final. It took me a while to get it right. My goal is a constant speed set up sometime in the future.

D. Steven Schlieper
8 Homeplace
Topsham, Maine 04086

[quote] ---

PGLong

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:49 am    Post subject: RV4 Flap/Speed Brake Reply with quote

Hi Gene

Just a thought. I had lots of trouble slowing my RV-4 down also. Found I had the idle speed too high. Got it idled down real slow and that helps immensely to get things slowed down and uses much less runway to get stopped.

Pat Long
PGLong(at)aol.com
N120PL
RV4
Bay City, Michigan
3CM

Do Not Archive

See whatarget="_blank">Make AOL Your Homepage.
[quote][b]

smokyray(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:42 am    Post subject: RV4 Flap/Speed Brake Reply with quote

Gene,
I actually like the manual flap lever better.I modified mine to fit better next to my leg. I have flown my RV4 for 1500 hours and never burned up a flap motor...Smile STOL ops are way improved with "instant" flaps. You can deploy them during the takeoff roll for a hop into ground effect on a very soft field, and retract them instantly on landing to get better brake effectiveness. I also like to extend them during slow speed dogfighting.
Much better turn circle below 100 knots...Smile Your mileage may vary...

Rob Ray

Steve Schlieper <splitess(at)suscom-maine.net> wrote:
[quote] Gene,
Wouldn't change a thing except for me--changing my manual lever for the electric kit---would be an improvement. I HATE that damned manual flap lever. A speed brake or 90 degrees of flap seems excessive. I would think that swapping to a constant speed set up would be the preferable solution. Slowing the RV4 down is certainly a trick. I start well before the "standard" a-beam the numbers approach and pull the throttle back to about 1100 rpm (0-360, fixed pitch), dump all the flaps at once at 100 mph and hit a somewhat shorter turn to base then final. I use a touch of throttle to adjust descent rate and I am usually successful in crossing the fence between 65 and 70 without having to fly a long and risky final. It took me a while to get it right. My goal is a constant speed set up sometime in the future.

D. Steven Schlieper
8 Homeplace
Topsham, Maine 04086

[quote] ---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV4-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: