Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oil change

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> JabiruEngine-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
n282rs(at)satx.rr.com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject: Oil change Reply with quote

This is mostly a question for one of the dealers that are on this list, but comments will be appreciated from all.

I now have 12 hours on my 3300. I've been running with Aeroshell mineral oil. In a couple of weeks I'm planning flying to the Copperstate Fly in. That's about an 8 hour flight, one way for me.

I know I need to switch oil at 25 hours. If I try hard, I might find time to fly 5 more hours before the trip. That would put me at 17 hours. I expect to have over 30 hours on the engine by the time I get back. Maybe even more if I feel up to flying to Las Vegas for a couple of days.

I really don't want to change oil while on the trip, so I plan on changing it just before leaving. The question is which oil? Should I use mineral oil and just leave it in until I get back? Or switch to the Aeroshell 100W a few hours early? How big of a deal is it to go a complete 25 hours on the mineral oil? Would it be a problem if I were to go 30-35 hours on mineral oil?

Randy Stout
San Antonio TX
www.geocities.com/n282rs
n282rs(at)satx.rr.com

- The Matronics JabiruEngine-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List
n1bzrich(at)AOL.COM

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:27 am    Post subject: Oil change Reply with quote

Randy,
I am sure Pete or Andy will jump in here and answer your question, but here are a few thoughts before they do. For my way of thinking the answer to your question really depends on how hard you are running your engine and of course that will depend on the airframe you have it in. A clean, slick go fast airplane will allow the engine to not work as hard at some specific airspeed as it would on a dirty airframe. And of course, how hard you run the engine in general will also be a consideration. The bottom line is you want to use the mineral oil at least until the rings are set (broken in) and how long that takes depends on the above thoughts. In most installations you will see a drop in operating oil temperature when the rings are finally all set. Normally 25 hours would be long enough to run the mineral oil for most installations but there should be no problem to run it longer. Don't forget you need to do the head torques (and valve adjustments if you have a solid lifter engine). Those things are important as well. On my 3300 (which now has 370 hours in the last 22 months) I didn't change to Aeroshell W100 plus until about the 30 hour point, but I had already done one oil change (mineral oil) at about the 15 hour point. As far as oil changes go, I believe that "more is better", and keeping clean, fresh oil in the engine (and running it on a regular basis) is how you get long engine life. I normally change oil and filter every 25 hours.
Blue Skies,
Buz Rich

--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

andy(at)suncoastjabiru.co

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:13 am    Post subject: Oil change Reply with quote

Randy,

Buz has done a good job of answering but I'll jump in and add that there's
really no pressing need to change the oil at exactly 25 hours for the
multigrade or non-mineral oil. We usually find that oil temperatures are a
little higher with the straight mineral oil, so after 25 hours some owners
want to change to get slightly better temps - particularly in summer. I have
run mineral oil for 50 hours (changing at 25) to perhaps better ensure
ring-seal but (then again) I have also used W100 right from the start too;
the directions confirm it's suitable for running-in. Neither of these
engines exhibited any appreciable difference in compressions or leak-down
results during their lives.

Oils these days are pretty good at both lubrication and heat transfer, so
for me, there's little proof that in the Jabiru, the oil type makes much
difference to the break-in. It's just that tradition tells us to use mineral
oil for the break-in, and no-doubt there will be others who can point to
conclusive research for Lycomings or Continentals to prove it. For the
Jabiru, I doubt with the tolerances involved, it matters much what oil you
use or when you change it from one type to the other. However, it DOES
matter that you use an aviation-grade oil and I agree that more frequent oil
changes are a good thing. Hope this helps.

Andy Silvester
Suncoast Sportplanes, Inc.
39248 South Ave, Zephyrhills, FL 33542
Tel: (813) 779 2324 Fax: (813) 779 2246
www.suncoastjabiru.com

--

n282rs(at)satx.rr.com

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:23 am    Post subject: Oil change Reply with quote

Thanks Andy and Buzz

I don't have any complaints with the oil temps. In the first 5 hours, they got a bit high. Now they are usually around 190 F on a hot day. In the winter, I may have to block off the oil cooler.

The CHTs seemed to have settled in around 290 F except for the front 2 which normally run about 310 F. I'm hoping they come down a little more.

I know that frequent oil changes are a good thing. I did my first at 5 hours, putting mineral oil back in. So I think I'm going to go ahead and change it again next weekend to AeroShell 100W along with checking the head torque and valves. That will make me take an extra look at the engine before the trip.

Randy Stout
San Antonio TX
www.geocities.com/n282rs
n282rs(at)satx.rr.com

--

punchy(at)frontiernet.net

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:34 am    Post subject: Oil change Reply with quote

Randy, on your way to and from Copper State stop at KSJN, St. Johns, AZ
for fuel. They have the best price, currently $3.45 for 100LL. I have my
Jabiru hangered there. They also offer a courtsey car.

Rob

n282rs(at)satx.rr.com wrote:
[quote]

Thanks Andy and Buzz

I don't have any complaints with the oil temps. In the first 5 hours, they got a bit high. Now they are usually around 190 F on a hot day. In the winter, I may have to block off the oil cooler.

The CHTs seemed to have settled in around 290 F except for the front 2 which normally run about 310 F. I'm hoping they come down a little more.

I know that frequent oil changes are a good thing. I did my first at 5 hours, putting mineral oil back in. So I think I'm going to go ahead and change it again next weekend to AeroShell 100W along with checking the head torque and valves. That will make me take an extra look at the engine before the trip.

Randy Stout
San Antonio TX
www.geocities.com/n282rs
n282rs(at)satx.rr.com

--

BobsV35B(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:20 pm    Post subject: Oil change Reply with quote

Good Afternoon Andy,
For What It Is Worth, my last four engines have been broken in using Phillips XC multi grade oil. I use as high a power as I can get and still be in the cruise range. All of them had the rings well seated in less than ten hours, Usually less than five.

While these were all flat continentals, they have given me excellent service and one was just removed at the factory recommended TBO time. No cylinders have been pulled on any of the four.

I formerly used Shell W oils, but switched to Phillips because of their support of the Young Eagles Program. I definitely agree that all oils are good today and I do not believe there is any advantage at all to using mineral oil for break in.

I am also a firm believer in running the engine hard during the break in period.

Happy Skies,

Old Bob
AKA
Bob Siegfried
Ancient Aviator
Stearman N3977A
Brookeridge Air Park LL22
Downers Grove, IL 60516
630 985-8503

In a message dated 10/6/2007 9:14:58 A.M. Central Daylight Time, andy(at)suncoastjabiru.com writes:
Quote:
Oils these days are pretty good at both lubrication and heat transfer, so
for me, there's little proof that in the Jabiru, the oil type makes much
difference to the break-in. It's just that tradition tells us to use mineral
oil for the break-in, and no-doubt there will be others who can point to
conclusive research for Lycomings or Continentals to prove it. For the
Jabiru, I doubt with the tolerances involved, it matters much what oil you
use or when you change it from one type to the other. However, it DOES
matter that you use an aviation-grade oil and I agree that more frequent oil
changes are a good thing. Hope this helps.

Andy Silvester

See what's new [quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> JabiruEngine-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: