Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fuel Injected 914...Any thoughts?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RotaxEngines-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darinh

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:50 pm    Post subject: Fuel Injected 914...Any thoughts? Reply with quote

I came across a guy who rebuilds 914's from the Predator drones (General Dynamics) to Rotax standards. Actually is what he does is send the bottom end to Lockwood for them to rebuild and (new bearins, crank dialed, etc.). He then rebuilds the top end to Rotax standards using his own pistons. Here is where it gets interesting...he has designed a fuel-injection system (with redundancy on the injectors and computer none the less) that replaces the carbs and intake box. He has done this and has been able to keep the footprint the same as a stock 914. The claim is that he is producing 145 hp and the weight is virtually the same as stock (I think he said it was actually 7 lbs. lighter). I have seen the worksmanship and it is really quite impressive to say the least.

I am going to be installing a 914 on my Kitfox Series 7 within the next year and have given this option a lot of serious thought.

By the way, this setup is about $9k cheaper than a factory new motor. It doesn't come with the radiator, oil cooler or exhaust can (silencer?) but everything else is there including the upgraded external 55 amp alternator.

Does anyone have any thoughts, comment, etc on this??

- The Matronics RotaxEngines-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RotaxEngines-List

Kaysville, Utah
jack.kuehn(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Fuel Injected 914...Any thoughts? Reply with quote

WOW! How many of these modified engines are out there and how many hours are on them? This is critical! Imagine putting one of these on a Sonex or other clean airplane!

Jack

On 10/12/07, darinh <gerns25(at)netscape.net (gerns25(at)netscape.net)> wrote:[quote] --> RotaxEngines-List message posted by: "darinh" <gerns25(at)netscape.net (gerns25(at)netscape.net)>

I came across a guy who rebuilds 914's from the Predator drones (General Dynamics) to Rotax standards. Actually is what he does is send the bottom end to Lockwood for them to rebuild and (new bearins, crank dialed, etc.). He then rebuilds the top end to Rotax standards using his own pistons. Here is where it gets interesting...he has designed a fuel-injection system (with redundancy on the injectors and computer none the less) that replaces the carbs and intake box. He has done this and has been able to keep the footprint the same as a stock 914. The claim is that he is producing 145 hp and the weight is virtually the same as stock (I think he said it was actually 7 lbs. lighter). I have seen the worksmanship and it is really quite impressive to say the least.

I am going to be installing a 914 on my Kitfox Series 7 within the next year and have given this option a lot of serious thought.

By the way, this setup is about $9k cheaper than a factory new motor. It doesn't come with the radiator, oil cooler or exhaust can (silencer?) but everything else is there including the upgraded external 55 amp alternator.

Does anyone have any thoughts, comment, etc on this??

--------
Darin Hawkes
Series 7 (under Construction)
914 Turbo
Ogden, Utah

Read this topic online here:

5565 Brady Ln
Lolo, MT USA 59847

(406)273-6801
(406)546-1086 cell
jack.kuehn(at)gmail.com (jack.kuehn(at)gmail.com)
(406)273-2563 fax [quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

bearup(at)ida.net

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:52 pm    Post subject: Fuel Injected 914...Any thoughts? Reply with quote

Darin,

I looked into that engine, and spoke with the guy as well. If I recall
correctly, the guys name is Jason Parker and lives in Bakersfield, CA. His
engines do look nice, but I would like to speak with someone who has one of
them flying before making the decision.

FYI, I have a low time 100HP 912 ULS-3 for sale that I just had a Rotax
repair station go through for me, and gave it a clean bill of health. I had
planned to install it on a Just Aircraft Highlander, but do to a pending
divorce, I think I had better try to sell it. This is the engine that can
run a constant speed propeller, and includes a governor, exhaust and oil
tank. I would let it go for $11,000.

Stan Bearup
bearup(at)ida.net
American Falls, Idaho

---

darinh

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Injected 914...Any thoughts? Reply with quote

Stan,

Yes, they guys name is Jason. He seems to be incredibly knowledgeable about the engine and all components that go into it. He is a mechanical engineer with an extensive background in car racing and all things performance related. By the way, sounds like a great price on the 912s I'm sure it will go fast.

Jack,

I know he has one that is about finished and 5 others that are about ready for the initial rebuild. As far as engines out, he did give me a number for a guy who is installing this engine in his Kitfox. I gave him a call to discuss it with him and he has nothing but good to say about it. However, he has yet to finish his airplane and fly it so I don't have any info on a flying model although the company claims they have some flying. I really like the idea of the fuel-injection but am like the rest, it would be nice to see what kind of reliability the engine has. I will keep trying to gather information.

Kaysville, Utah
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RotaxEngines-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: