Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Eliminate Fuel Pumps on High Wing??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> JabiruEngine-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
donmorrisey

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:24 am    Post subject: Eliminate Fuel Pumps on High Wing?? Reply with quote

Hello,

Myself and another BushCaddy builder will be installing our 3300's very soon on our high wing taildraggers. I am curious how many high wing airplanes (or others) have been able to eliminate the engine driven fuel pump and therefore the backup and run on gravity? This would be with the standard Bing Carb. Thanks.

Don...
www.donsbushcaddy.com
Don Morrisey's Skunkworks

Windows Live Hotmail and Microsoft Office Outlook – together at last. Get it now! [quote][b]

- The Matronics JabiruEngine-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List

notsew_evets(at)frontiern

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:36 am    Post subject: Eliminate Fuel Pumps on High Wing?? Reply with quote

Don

I had an Avid Flyer with the 2200A engine. I also had a forward facing fuel tank vent that gave the tank positive air pressure. The Avid factory ( now out of business ) stated that they tried flying without the fuel pump and just the air pressure worked ok. Thats what they said........
I installed an electric backup anyway but never needed it.....

SW
[quote] ---

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Peter H

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:36 pm    Post subject: Eliminate Fuel Pumps on High Wing?? Reply with quote

Don,
In the tests that I conducted with the 33000 I found that the carb as supplied is fitted with the float needle seat 2.25mm diam which is meant for gravity feed and at the anything above 2700rpm the seat leaks additional fuel into the bowl and makes the mixture excessively rich. The pump fed carb should be fitted with a smaller needle seat.
If you run the carb as supplied with gravity feed alone it will run leaner that the others above 2700 but I found it still within EGT limits.
Peter H

From: owner-jabiruengine-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-jabiruengine-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Don Morrisey
Sent: Sunday, 21 October 2007 3:24 AM
To: jabiruengine-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: JabiruEngine-List: Eliminate Fuel Pumps on High Wing??

Hello,

Myself and another BushCaddy builder will be installing our 3300's very soon on our high wing taildraggers. I am curious how many high wing airplanes (or others) have been able to eliminate the engine driven fuel pump and therefore the backup and run on gravity? This would be with the standard Bing Carb. Thanks.

Don...
www.donsbushcaddy.com

Windows Live Hotmail and Microsoft Office Outlook – together at last. Get it now!
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

agbeyer(at)sbcglobal.net

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:39 am    Post subject: Eliminate Fuel Pumps on High Wing?? Reply with quote

Don,
I have an older 3300 (S/N 431) with 340 Hrs. in an HDS. Most of its life I flew it with the stock float needle seat that came with my engine (2.5 MM). With-in the last few weeks I removed the carb and installed a new seat (1.5MM) which is ment for a system with a fuel pump. What this did is what Peter H. was talking about. It leaned out the the mixture at the higher RPM settings due to fuel not leaking past the needle and also made for a more consistant fuel flow. The EGT,s went up, so in my case a little larger Needle Jet might be in order such as a 2.86 or a 2.87.  I also have a 265 Main Jet installed. As Andy S. has explaned the fuel pump will sort of self regulate the fuel pressure depending on the spring rate of the spring in the fuel pump. That is why if you have a boost pump turned on the pressure will stay the same as with-out it on. With the 2.5 seat I would see about 2 GPH increase in fuel flow, and just a few tenths with the 1.5 seat at idle when I turned on the boost pump. I don't know what size seat the newer engines come with. You can get all the parts you need from http://www.bingcarburetor.com/. If you are installing your engine in a high wing and don't have enough fuel flow (The seat could act as the main jet) there are larger seats available from Bing. The seats they have are 1.5, 2.5, 3.7,and 4.0. I think as in my case with the larger seat the engine came set-up for the Jabiru Aircraft (High wing). It worked O.K. with the larger seat, but a lot better with the smaller one.
Some people have posted in the past about having a proplem with cold starting. When I did my first start up 3 years ago I also had a problem with cold starts. My engine would start and then stop five or six times before it woud keep running. By this time the battery was almost dead. I made a modification to the small jet in the bottom of the float bowl that supplies the Starting Carb (Choke). The size of the jet in my carb was .029". I drilled mine out to .035" which fixed the starting issue for me.

AL from Oshkosh

Original Message ----
Sent: Saturday, October 20, 2007 4:36:23 PM
Subject: RE: Eliminate Fuel Pumps on High Wing??

Don,
In the tests that I conducted with the 33000 I found that the carb as supplied is fitted with the float needle seat 2.25mm diam which is meant for gravity feed and at the anything above 2700rpm the seat leaks additional fuel into the bowl and makes the mixture excessively rich. The pump fed carb should be fitted with a smaller needle seat.
If you run the carb as supplied with gravity feed alone it will run leaner that the others above 2700 but I found it still within EGT limits.
Peter H

From: owner-jabiruengine-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-jabiruengine-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Don Morrisey
Sent: Sunday, 21 October 2007 3:24 AM
Subject: Eliminate Fuel Pumps on High Wing??

Hello,

Don...
www.donsbushcaddy.com

Windows Live Hotmail and Microsoft Office Outlook – together at last. Get it now!
Quote:
http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEng=======

[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> JabiruEngine-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: