Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SV: Re: PDA Gps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:07 am    Post subject: SV: Re: PDA Gps Reply with quote

Quote:
Wow.. You took off with zero visibility? I guess if I where going to bet my life on it,
I'd go for the best hardware I can buy as well. Smile

Those situations often happen without warning, Luis. Although I can only fly VFR with my Kitfox, I installed a TruTrak Pictorial Turn and Bank coordinator.

http://www.trutrakflightsystems.com/ttfsinstruments.html

Solid state, quick response, cheap. I am very pleased with it. Of course, it's worth nothing without training. I have an accurate replica of my Kitfox in the X-Plane flight simulator and ... I train a lot. I will also train with a pilot passenger and a hood.

Cheers,
Michel

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List

Michel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:45 am    Post subject: SV: Re: PDA Gps Reply with quote

Quote:
Didn't mean to be rude, but read your post again. To the uninitiated, it
sounds as though you knew the conditions were marginal, and because of your
having such a useful instrument, you chose to make the flight

Now I am confused, Brad, because you answer not Gary's post but mine.
In any case, everybody AGREE with you and I am sure Gary reacted not to WHAT you said but HOW you said it - as Lowell pointed out.

Cheers,
Michel

do not archive

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Michel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:59 am    Post subject: SV: Re: PDA Gps Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm using an X3 with the same processor as that X5 running Pocket FMS. It is just
fast enough. With all the nifty options turned on, I can't zoom out to show more than
20 miles without panning getting too slow.

Ah, please let me explain something, Luis and all wannabe PDA navigators. I met the creators of PocketFMS in The Netherlands and computer graphic is my profession.

Worldwide maps, on navigation instruments, or flight simulator - for the matter, are all created from vector database we owe the American tax-payers and the USGS with their NIMA, DEM and DAFIF databases.

The problem is that the processors used today in PDAs cannot handle such a large amount of vector graphic. On your PC, it is handled by your graphic card, which a PDA doesn't have. Therefore maps for PDA applications have to be transformed to bitmap format. The drawback is that bitmap files are large. Hence the slow update of the maps and - in the case of PocketFMS - the inability to zoom close in.

Luis, for PocketFMS, I know that the team is currently working at a new display model that should increase the refreshing time of the moving map. Next version is planned for April.

Cheers,
Michel

wingnut

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: SV: Re: PDA Gps Reply with quote

Actually, the problem I have is the inability to zoom way out. The closer I zoom in the better things work. PocketFMS uses different size bitmaps for different zoom levels so panning the map should be the same no matter what level you're at. The problem I think is that the terrain is the only thing that's a bitmap. Things like airspace boundaries, text, airports, etc, are still drawn with vector graphics. If I turn all that stuff off, I can zoom to any level. It's just not very usefull.

It's good to hear that they're working on improving performance. Although, it's worth noting that some of the newer PDAs on the market now come with some kind of graphic acceleration hardware. Some of them even have hardware support for advanced graphics libraries like DirectX.

smokey_bear_40220(at)yaho

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:24 pm    Post subject: SV: Re: PDA Gps Reply with quote

Louis, aka Wingnut,

You see what you get into here? Michel is no innocent
bystander but one of our Gurus! This list is full of
them! Stay tuned.

Kurt S.
Do not archive

--- Michel Verheughe <michel(at)online.no> wrote:

Quote:
> From: wingnut [wingnut(at)spamarrest.com]
> I'm using an X3 with the same processor as that X5
running Pocket FMS. It is just
> fast enough. With all the nifty options turned on,
I can't zoom out to show more than
> 20 miles without panning getting too slow.

Ah, please let me explain something, Luis and all
wannabe PDA navigators. I met the creators of
PocketFMS in The Netherlands and computer graphic is
my profession.

Worldwide maps, on navigation instruments, or flight
simulator - for the matter, are all created from
vector database we owe the American tax-payers and
the USGS with their NIMA, DEM and DAFIF databases.

The problem is that the processors used today in
PDAs cannot handle such a large amount of vector
graphic. On your PC, it is handled by your graphic
card, which a PDA doesn't have. Therefore maps for
PDA applications have to be transformed to bitmap
format. The drawback is that bitmap files are large.
Hence the slow update of the maps and - in the case
of PocketFMS - the inability to zoom close in.

Luis, for PocketFMS, I know that the team is
currently working at a new display model that should
increase the refreshing time of the moving map. Next
version is planned for April.

Cheers,
Michel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: