Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RV8 Canopy Gluing procedure

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV8-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
japhillipsga(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:15 am    Post subject: RV8 Canopy Gluing procedure Reply with quote

Dear RV builders, I down loaded the Eric Wolf procedure for gluing the canopy to the frame for RV-8 using Sikaflex. Looks like it may be a good option to rivets and screws. Question is if you not riveting through the canopy to the steel frame behind it how do you mount the fiberglass canopy side skins? Do you glue them on as well ? Hope to hear from you all, Best regards, Bill of Georgia

[/quote]
Email and AIM finally together. You've gotta check out free AOL Mail!
[quote][b]

- The Matronics RV8-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV8-List
DONKEYVET(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject: RV8 Canopy Gluing procedure Reply with quote

Bill of Georgia,

After cracking one canopy I decided against pop-rivets. If just one pulls out of the frame and expands in the canopy it cracks. What we did on our second one, which I don't know if it is right, is to drill the canopy to the frame, fit and drill the skirt to the canopy holes (marked by a reference line on tape to match drill them), expand the holes in the canopy to allow for thermal expansion, apply the canopy with sikaflex and clecos holding it in place until it dries and then screw the skirt on (thru the canopy and into the frame) with flathead screws. We put the screws in a little countersunk to the skirt and then put a thin layer of very fine fiberglass over the screws so they will not show cracks in the paint later as many do. Also, if you use a little excess sikaflex and then drag over it with a popsicle stick on the edges it make for a beautiful finish. The excess that pushes to the side pulls off easily once it dries a little since it has a rubbery texture. Does that make sense? Ours turned out nice. Also, for cutting the canopy, I used one of the dremel diamond disks from Lowe's (the one with holes in it like swiss cheese). It was expensive but worth it...much better and more controlable than the original large disk I used on the first canopy.I've used it for awhile now on other things like the cowling and it has not worn out.

Dennis of Texas

See what's new [quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

rice737(at)msn.com

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:37 pm    Post subject: RV8 Canopy Gluing procedure Reply with quote

Hey Bill,

I glued my skirts to the frame and the canopy. I used small pieces of garden hose for spacers; use the thinnest hose you can find. I then clamped the canopy in place and tack glued it to the frame. I then taped out the area I didn't want the glue to go and finsih glued the rest.  I didi the same with the skirts clamping and taping them in place.  I did the canopy all in one piece after it was clamped, by climbing thru the fwd. baggage compartment. It came out very nice and I have no fear of cracking like my friend who riveted his.  Write me back at rice737(at)msn.com (rice737(at)msn.com) if you would like more info. If you would like to speak we can exchange numbers then.

Paul Rice
RV8
N64PR
40 hours and loving it

[quote] To: rv8-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: RV8 Canopy Gluing procedure
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2007 14:14:26 -0400
Dear RV builders, I down loaded the Eric Wolf procedure for gluing the canopy to the frame for RV-8 using Sikaflex. Looks like it may be a good option to rivets and screws. Question is if you not riveting through the canopy to the steel frame behind it how do you mount the fiberglass canopy side skins? Do you glue them on as well ? Hope to hear from you all, Best regards, Bill of Georgia

Quote:
[b]

JAPhillipsGA(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:24 am    Post subject: RV8 Canopy Gluing procedure Reply with quote

Dennis, so if I understand, you drill holes for the skirt through the canopy, enlarged them so there would be no chance for expansion cracks, then used screws to attach the skirts to the steel frame under the canopy? Could you have used pull rivets to attach them without effecting the canopy ? You wouldn't by any chance have a photo or two just laying about you could send ? And this saw blade, did you use it on a Drimmal or air tool? Got any idea the part number ? Lastly, I'm still trying to figure out exactly where the brake lines are supposed to exit the fuselage for a 8A. You wouldn't be building an 8A and have a photo of that as well ? I know I'm an info sponge, but I promise if I ever learn anything or know anything about this plane I'll pass it on to the next info sponge. Best regards, Bill
PS: Sorry for you and your first canopy.
***************** [quote][b]

JAPhillipsGA(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:34 am    Post subject: RV8 Canopy Gluing procedure Reply with quote

Paul, thanks for the info. I'm about to start the frame mounting and scared blue about the canopy. I really appreciate the offer and I will get back to you soon, Best regards, Bill
do not archive
[quote][b]

DONKEYVET(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:22 am    Post subject: RV8 Canopy Gluing procedure Reply with quote

Hi Bill,

No...our canopy skirt is on the outside of the canopy like everyone elses. What we did was to place a piece of tape (masking...electrical can stain it) coming up from the hole drilled in the canopy. A line is drawn on the tape leading to the hole. A mark is made on the line exactly 2 inches from the hole (or one inch, as long as you know the distance). You can then mark it on the skirt as you're hold it on the canopy by projecting the now partially covered line 2 inches to mark the skirt where the hole would lie under it. Hard to describe unless you see it but it works great. We started with small holes and then expanded them. The problem we had originally was a rivet expanded in the plexiglass after it was unable to get a grip in the hole we drilled in the frame.

I don't know the drimmel part number (discarded box) but it is about a 1 1/4 inch diam disk that comes already attached to a mandrel. It has holes in it around the perimeter of the disk. It was very expensive ($20 ish) but is very durable. It was made by drimmel.

Hope that helps!

Dennis

See what's new [quote][b]

japhillipsga(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:03 am    Post subject: RV8 Canopy Gluing procedure Reply with quote

Dennis, I'm sorry I just can't picture what you did. I thought with the glue you did not drill any holes in the canopy? But you can certainly drill and screw or pull rivet the bottom of the skirt to the frame. Did you just glue the top edge of the skirt to the outside of the canopy ? I'm a bit confused. Maybe I could visualize it with a photo. Thanks, Bill

--

DONKEYVET(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:07 pm    Post subject: RV8 Canopy Gluing procedure Reply with quote

I'll send you a private message with my phone number. There's lots of ways to do this and mind isn't the only way.

[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV8-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: