Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ch 29 Construction angles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rvbuilder(at)sausen.net

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:33 am    Post subject: Ch 29 Construction angles Reply with quote

What angle did everyone use to create the F1070A/B construction angles for bending the fuse skin?  I don't see a callout for the actual angle size other than 3/4 and I don't want to chop a piece that will be needed later.

This has been one of the little annoyances as they don't really tell you which length angle to chop up to make various parts.  I guess they just assume that you will use which every piece that will cause the least waste but I'm sure that someone has chopped the wrong angle before.  It wouldn't be difficult to comment what length they expect you to use.

Michael Sausen
-10 #352 Fuselage
Do not archive

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
jesse(at)itecusa.org

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:52 am    Post subject: Ch 29 Construction angles Reply with quote

If I am not wrong there is an extra piece of 125 angle that is used for this.  I think there are 3 6’ pieces included in the kit and only 2 are needed for the plane, so the other 6’ piece we cut to make these parts.  What is everybody doing with their scrap parts like this?  I don’t know how much that angle stock costs, but passing around an already used set of these angles would save a lot of builders a 6’ piece for repairs or mods.

Do not archive

Jesse Saint
I-TEC, Inc.
jesse(at)itecusa.org (jesse(at)itecusa.org)
www.itecusa.org
Fax: 815-377-3694

I am in Ecuador until May, 2006.  If you have questions regarding I-TEC, please call the office at 352-465-4545.  If you would like to talk to me, please call me at 352-505-1899.  This number won't always be on, but it has voicemail that will get to me in Ecuador.

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of RV Builder (Michael Sausen)
Sent: Thursday, February 23, 2006 8:26 AM
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Ch 29 Construction angles

What angle did everyone use to create the F1070A/B construction angles for bending the fuse skin?  I don't see a callout for the actual angle size other than 3/4 and I don't want to chop a piece that will be needed later.

This has been one of the little annoyances as they don't really tell you which length angle to chop up to make various parts.  I guess they just assume that you will use which every piece that will cause the least waste but I'm sure that someone has chopped the wrong angle before.  It wouldn't be difficult to comment what length they expect you to use.

Michael Sausen
-10 #352 Fuselage

[i]Do not archive[/i]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

bob.kaufmann(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:01 am    Post subject: Ch 29 Construction angles Reply with quote

The Las Vegas group has been passing tools and parts like this the whole time.  We passed the wood block, the angles and the bucking bars as needed.  Nice part is that the holes are already predrilled.  God is good. 

Bob K
N104BK
Baggage door
Do not archive,

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Jesse Saint
Sent: Thursday, February 23, 2006 5:51 AM
Subject: RE: Ch 29 Construction angles

If I am not wrong there is an extra piece of 125 angle that is used for this.  I think there are 3 6’ pieces included in the kit and only 2 are needed for the plane, so the other 6’ piece we cut to make these parts.  What is everybody doing with their scrap parts like this?  I don’t know how much that angle stock costs, but passing around an already used set of these angles would save a lot of builders a 6’ piece for repairs or mods.

Do not archive

Jesse Saint
I-TEC, Inc.
jesse(at)itecusa.org (jesse(at)itecusa.org)
www.itecusa.org
Fax: 815-377-3694

I am in Ecuador until May, 2006.  If you have questions regarding I-TEC, please call the office at 352-465-4545.  If you would like to talk to me, please call me at 352-505-1899.  This number won't always be on, but it has voicemail that will get to me in Ecuador.

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of RV Builder (Michael Sausen)

Michael Sausen
-10 #352 Fuselage

[i]Do not archive[/i]

tgesele(at)optonline.net

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:13 am    Post subject: Ch 29 Construction angles Reply with quote

Mike,

I purchased 2 3' sections of 3/4x3/4x1/8 angle from Home Depot. Like you, didn't want to chop up the wrong angle and find I'm short later on.

One word of caution on the bends - be careful that you don't use too much force while forming the sharp bend on the opposite side of the cone, you can end up with a small crease in the skin (guess how I know that..)

Good luck with those bends.

Tom Gesele #473

Do Not Archive
[quote] --

indigoonlatigo(at)msn.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:44 am    Post subject: Ch 29 Construction angles Reply with quote

The cost of this material through AS&S is about 0.80 a foot. Of course
there is the shipping charge. I am not sure that the Home Depot material is
made of the same aluminum. I think the kit material is 6061 and notice that
the inner curve has a nice radius which imparts greater strength at this
junction.

Food for thought.

JG.

Do Not Archive
[quote]From: Tom Gesele <tgesele(at)optonline.net>
Reply-To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 09:16:56 -0500

Mike,

I purchased 2 3' sections of 3/4x3/4x1/8 angle from Home Depot. Like
you,
didn't want to chop up the wrong angle and find I'm short later on.

One word of caution on the bends - be careful that you don't use too
much
force while forming the sharp bend on the opposite side of the cone, you
can
end up with a small crease in the skin (guess how I know that..)

Tom Gesele #473

Do Not Archive
--

Tim(at)MyRV10.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:44 am    Post subject: Ch 29 Construction angles Reply with quote

I would caution builders...I know that at least where I can buy aluminum
from locally at hardware stores, there isn't anything that's the same
type and quality as what you can get from Van's or ACS. I did buy
a bit early on to try to make a bracket for something, but it was
much more brittle and less strong. Also, the hardware store angle
didn't have the fillet between the edges, it was a square inside corner.
I know this won't be as strong as one with the fillet. I resigned
myself to using it for vice jaws protectors and to make jigs with for
things. Then, I just remembered to order a few 6' lengths of various
aluminum angle from Van's. Every builder should consider at least
buying extra lengths of 3/4"x3/4"x.063 and 3/4x3/4x.125", and I'd
include 1" widths and a short piece of 1x2 also. You'll find lots
of use for it as time goes on.
Tim
Tim Olson - RV-10 N104CD - Flying
do not archive
John Gonzalez wrote:
[quote]

The cost of this material through AS&S is about 0.80 a foot. Of course
there is the shipping charge. I am not sure that the Home Depot
material is made of the same aluminum. I think the kit material is 6061
and notice that the inner curve has a nice radius which imparts greater
strength at this junction.

Food for thought.

JG.

Do Not Archive

> From: Tom Gesele <tgesele(at)optonline.net>
> Reply-To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com
> To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com
> Subject: RE: Ch 29 Construction angles
> Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 09:16:56 -0500
>
> Mike,
>
> I purchased 2 3' sections of 3/4x3/4x1/8 angle from Home Depot. Like
> you,
> didn't want to chop up the wrong angle and find I'm short later on.
>
> One word of caution on the bends - be careful that you don't use too
> much
> force while forming the sharp bend on the opposite side of the cone,
> you can
> end up with a small crease in the skin (guess how I know that..)
>
> Good luck with those bends.
>
> Tom Gesele #473
>
> Do Not Archive
> --

johnwcox(at)pacificnw.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: Ch 29 Construction angles Reply with quote

Tom, I bought a bunch of aluminum from the Aviation Department of HD to weld an angle bracket style dolly for my aviation tool chest.  While TIG welding, we got lots of out-gassing, foreign deposits and a really poor final weld.  Some pieces were marginally Okay others were S#%T.  Turns out there are lots of impurities with the scrap products.

I recommend you purchase only aviation grade aluminum stock from a reputable supplier, if it is going into an aircraft.

John $00.02
Do Not Archive

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Tom Gesele
Sent: Thursday, February 23, 2006 6:17 AM

Mike,

I purchased 2 3' sections of 3/4x3/4x1/8 angle from Home Depot. Like you, didn't want to chop up the wrong angle and find I'm short later on.

One word of caution on the bends - be careful that you don't use too much force while forming the sharp bend on the opposite side of the cone, you can end up with a small crease in the skin (guess how I know that..)

Tom Gesele #473

Do Not Archive
Quote:

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com]On Behalf Of RV Builder (Michael Sausen)

Michael Sausen
-10 #352 Fuselage

[i]Do not archive[/i]

ron.mcgann(at)baesystems.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject: Ch 29 Construction angles Reply with quote

I also bought some 3/4x3/4x1/8 from the hardware store.  Not a problem since they are not installed on the aircraft.  I did find that I bent the heck out of them with the vise grips.  The hardware store stuff seems to be much softer than the aircraft grade material, and after forming both skins, these items were throw away.  It was a cheap solution, and did the job well.

Another word of caution - when completing the tight radii, don't over strike with the mallet, you will crack the skins.

cheers,
Ron
[quote] --

rvbuilder(at)sausen.net

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject: Ch 29 Construction angles Reply with quote

Completely agree.  I have used some HD stuff before for non-aircraft use and it's crap.  Probably only T3.  I have tried to find someplace in DFW area that carries aluminum stock with no luck.  Must be someplace, just can't find it.

For anyone else that has to replace aluminum parts, and doesn't want to wait for Van's speedy shipping dept, I highly recommend Airparts.  I have used them a couple times to replace angle, and for sheet for my hat shelf, and they are always speedy.  I just ordered some oversized stuff on Monday and it was on my door today.  You can also use Aircraft Spruce but they are a bit on and off with shipping speeds.

www.airpartsinc.com

Michael Sausen
-10 #352 Fuselage

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of John W. Cox
Sent: Thursday, February 23, 2006 5:24 PM

Tom, I bought a bunch of aluminum from the Aviation Department of HD to weld an angle bracket style dolly for my aviation tool chest.  While TIG welding, we got lots of out-gassing, foreign deposits and a really poor final weld.  Some pieces were marginally Okay others were S#%T.  Turns out there are lots of impurities with the scrap products.

I recommend you purchase only aviation grade aluminum stock from a reputable supplier, if it is going into an aircraft.

John $00.02
Do Not Archive

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Tom Gesele
Sent: Thursday, February 23, 2006 6:17 AM

Mike,

Tom Gesele #473

Do Not Archive
Quote:

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com]On Behalf Of RV Builder (Michael Sausen)

Michael Sausen
-10 #352 Fuselage

[i]Do not archive[/i]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: