Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chelton Recall

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LIKE2LOOP(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:49 pm    Post subject: Chelton Recall Reply with quote

I just read this on AvWeb, not sure if it applies to any of the end stage builder or flyers....Steve
D2A RECALLS CHELTON EFIS COMPONENT
Direct-To Avionics (D2A) announced Tuesday a full recall of the Crossbow 425EX AHRS used in experimental Chelton Electronic Flight Instrumentation Systems (EFIS), saying the AHRS has been "plagued by performance and reliability problems" and will not be used in future units. The component will be replaced by the Pinpoint Inertial GADAHRS (GPS / Air Data / Attitude and Heading Reference System), which D2A said has proven to exceed all of its performance and reliability parameters. D2A is the exclusive distributor of Chelton's experimental EFIS line, and also participates in the development and evaluation of future Chelton systems for both certified and experimental aircraft. More...

DO NOT ARCHIVE

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
GenGrumpy(at)AOL.COM

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:14 pm    Post subject: Chelton Recall Reply with quote

For all with Cheltons.

The recall is for the AHRS units (not made by Chelton).  I was at my avionics shop on Monday and we discussed the issue.  The manufacturer of the prior units had significant quality control issues they could not resolve, so Chelton has gone elsewhere.

The units already installed are being recalled (at no cost to the owners).  Others, like me, will have a little more delay in getting the new AHRS units.  Latest estimate is mid to latter part of March. 

According to my avionics guy, these new units have a great track record and should not give any problems.

By the way, the displays of my Cheltons was phenomenal (in the shop).  I have not had the chance to check them out in bright sunlight.  Hopefully someone else in the -10 bunch has them flying now and can provide assessment on readability in bright sunlight??

grumpy

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Tim(at)MyRV10.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:03 pm    Post subject: Chelton Recall Reply with quote

Hey Grumpy,

I just wrote a long-winded post on the recall myself. To answer
your question though, yes, the screens are absolutely beautiful
in the sunlight. Once I can bring some passengers (probably
Saturday) I'll try to get some photos in the cockpit. I've been
flying most every day after work until sundown. The sun has been
low in the sky, causing blinding light. I have that small 25nm
circle, so I've had to basically do a steep turn around the whole
thing for 25 hours....so I hit all sun angles. No problems
at all reading the screen. You won't be disappointed.

Tim

Tim Olson - RV-10 N104CD - Flying
do not archive
GenGrumpy(at)aol.com wrote:
Quote:
For all with Cheltons.

The recall is for the AHRS units (not made by Chelton). I was at my
avionics shop on Monday and we discussed the issue. The manufacturer of
the prior units had significant quality control issues they could not
resolve, so Chelton has gone elsewhere.

The units already installed are being recalled (at no cost to the
owners). Others, like me, will have a little more delay in getting the
new AHRS units. Latest estimate is mid to latter part of March.

According to my avionics guy, these new units have a great track record
and should not give any problems.

By the way, the displays of my Cheltons was phenomenal (in the shop). I
have not had the chance to check them out in bright sunlight. Hopefully
someone else in the -10 bunch has them flying now and can provide
assessment on readability in bright sunlight??

grumpy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: