Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DDRT-2 Dimpler arrived

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdalton77(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject: DDRT-2 Dimpler arrived Reply with quote

My DDRT-2 arrived last week and all I can say it that Paul at Experimental Aero does and awesome job building and shipping this tool.

If you're using a typical C-Frame tool you may not realize how much easier (and quieter) your work could be.

It's worth every penny.

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
merems(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject: DDRT-2 Dimpler arrived Reply with quote

Jeff,

Thanks for the feedback.  Enjoy the tool.

Build on....

Paul
[quote] ---

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

bbreckenridge(at)gmail.co

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject: DDRT-2 Dimpler arrived Reply with quote

do not archive

I've got a fellow RV(9) builder that loves his DDRT-2.  My only problem with switching over is that if you take away our C-frame, then we've got nothing else to smack during the building process.  I agree, the construction is top-notch and the temptation is very strong to become a convert.

For those that have spent some real time using both...what are your thoughts? 

Bruce
elevators

gommone7(at)bellsouth.net

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:09 pm    Post subject: DDRT-2 Dimpler arrived Reply with quote

The DDRT-2( I thinks if he named R2-D2) will sound cool,is a clever and nice machine ,if I have a possibility to improve ,I will made the bottom set much closet to the border ,and instead of square front,only a V shape,that will give a versatility hard to beat.
In my opinion I own to his guy and the cogsdill company a nice couple of hundred. hours save from the project,my opinion only.
Hugo
do not archive
Quote:

Date: 2006/02/17 Fri PM 08:29:57 EST
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: DDRT-2 Dimpler arrived

do not archive

I've got a fellow RV(9) builder that loves his DDRT-2. My only problem with
switching over is that if you take away our C-frame, then we've got nothing
else to smack during the building process. I agree, the construction is
top-notch and the temptation is very strong to become a convert.

For those that have spent some real time using both...what are your
thoughts?

Bruce
elevators

bpattonsoa(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject: DDRT-2 Dimpler arrived Reply with quote

I welded up a dimpler with angle iron from an old bedframe.  Finished my RV-6A,  loaned the thing to another builder.  It is on its third airframe, and still works well (loudly).  Much more in the RV frame of mind.

Bruce Patton
Waiting on retirement for the 10

gommone7(at)bellsouth.net wrote:
[quote]--> RV10-List message posted by:

The DDRT-2( I thinks if he named R2-D2) will sound cool,is a clever and nice machine ,if I have a possibility to improve ,I will made the bottom set much closet to the border ,and instead of square front,only a V shape,that will give a versatility hard to beat.
In my opinion I own to his guy and the cogsdill company a nice couple of hundred. hours save from the project,my opinion only.
Hugo
do not archive
[quote] > d, 7-Day

Sean Blair

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:28 pm    Post subject: DDRT-2 Dimpler arrived Reply with quote

The DRDT-2 is so much better than a regular C-frame.  It allows you to use you other hand to guide your part through instead of holding a mallet.  Just make sure you put the handle in the up position when you’re done using it.  It can really hurt the ribs when you walk into it.  Maybe a bright colored handle would be good instead of black.  Glad to have it.

Sean B

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of bruce breckenridge
Sent: Friday, February 17, 2006 6:30 PM

do not archive

I've got a fellow RV(9) builder that loves his DDRT-2.  My only problem with switching over is that if you take away our C-frame, then we've got nothing else to smack during the building process.  I agree, the construction is top-notch and the temptation is very strong to become a convert.

Bruce

elevators

N967SB (reserved)
Neal George

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject: DDRT-2 Dimpler arrived Reply with quote

I have both.
C-Frame dimpling sucks. 
DRDT-2 ROCKS! 
Thanks again Paul.

[b]Neal E. George[/b]
244 Andrews Street
Maxwell AFB, AL  36113
Home - 334-262-8993
Cell - 334-546-2033

do not archive

Bruce

elevators

tgesele(at)optonline.net

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:46 am    Post subject: DDRT-2 Dimpler arrived Reply with quote

I built a -6 with the Avery C-Frame and am now using the DRDT-2 to build a -10 so hopefully I can shed some light on this.

First, my general impression is that the DRDT-2 is superior to the C-Frame once you get used to it. The dimples are consistent - rivets sit perfectly flush every time and you never get the ring around the dimples that sometimes show up with the C-Frame (a by-product of hitting the plunger slightly too hard). It is very easy to use - effortless enough that my 6 year old daughter helped dimple some of the larger skins. It is silent meaning you can work late into the night without aggravating the neighbors, waking sleeping children, etc.

To clarify the "once you get used to it", I have two recommendations for this tool. First, make sure it is aligned perfectly. This is easy to do, just loosen the adjustment screws, install a dimple die into the plunger, tape its mate and adjust until the shank slide perfectly into the bottom receptacle. Tighten everything down and double check that the dies slide together with no binding when in their normal positions. For the depth, set it so that you the dies just bind, meaning you can't spin them with everything fully extended.

Second, on the heavier skins (like to fuse bottom skins some of the spar material, etc) - you need to double pump the level to get a good dimple. Any skin that is 025 or less can be dimpled in one shot, 032+ needs a double pump and you should check that the rivets sit flush. There may be other ways to dimple the heavier skins but this is what worked for me.

To summarize, you can build a perfectly good plane with either tool. For me, the investment in the DRDT-2 was well worth it.

Hope this helps and I should add that I have no affiliation with Experimental Aero - I'm just a very satisfied customer.

Tom Gesele #473

[quote] --

merems(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:49 am    Post subject: DDRT-2 Dimpler arrived Reply with quote

Fellow DRDT-2 owners or perspective owners,

Tom was very kind in his assessment of the DRDT-2. 

If you set the ram height so that the dies slightly interfere (vertically) with each other you will not have to "double pump" the tool.  I can assure you that you can dimple all the thicknesses if you set the ram height correctly with out ever having to "double pump".  Just set the height and dimple, if you get a "witness ring" around the dimple then you have a perfect dimple.  The witness ring is not a dent but a surface mark left by the dimple die flat face contacting the alclad surface. 

I provide instructions for setting the tool up and adjusting the die height.  It only takes a few minutes of setup to achieve great results.  If anyone has any questions about the tool or the setup, please email me at info(at)experimentalaero.com (info(at)experimentalaero.com).  I would be glad to help in any way.

Sincerely,

Paul Merems
ExperimentalAero 

[quote] ---

LloydDR(at)wernerco.com

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject: DDRT-2 Dimpler arrived Reply with quote

I have both, and have done part of a 7A and am working my way through a 10, and you could not pry my dead fingers off of the DDRT-2, this tool set into my workbench is as much a time saver as a pneumatic squeezer. This tool falls into the category of don't use it or you will buy it. It is smooth, quiet, and gives a better dimple in my opinion, the reason I say this, is that it greatly reduces the risk of creating an extra hole, because it is a smoother action to dimple, rather that a smack with a mallet. You get the same fish eye, without the risk.
my .02 worth
Dan
40269 wings

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of bruce breckenridge
Sent: Friday, February 17, 2006 8:30 PM

do not archive

Bruce
elevators

effectus(at)rogers.com

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject: DDRT-2 Dimpler arrived Reply with quote

I took the idea of the DDRT-2 a little further. I fashioned a C-frame that approximated the DDRT-2 design with one major difference. I had a special adaptor plate fabricated that would allow me to insert my pneumatic squeezer. I had a hardened extended length shaft made to account for the extra thickness of the adapter plate. When put together and using a pneumatic foot switch I am able to easily dimple a 4' x 8' sheet as the throat depth is 25". It takes me about 5 minutes to attach the squeezer to the adapter plate.

I am able to use both hands to guide the panel in place and I can produce dimples at the rate of 30 - 45 per minute. This thing has worked beautifully for me and has cut down on the time and noise associated with this process.

If anyone is interested in seeing some photos they can contact me off-line at: effectus(at)rogers(dot)com

Dave Hertner
[quote] ---

michael(at)wellenzohn.net

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject: DDRT-2 Dimpler arrived Reply with quote

I bought just the frontend of the dimpler while I was in the U.S. and my
uncle constructed the frame.
The plans are great and the Dimpler works perfectly fine.

Check it out some construction pictures in the tools section in the
builder log menu

http://www.wellenzohn.net

Michael Wellenzohn
#40511 (VS)
Switzerland

merems(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject: DDRT-2 Dimpler arrived Reply with quote

Michael,

Thank you for the update and the kind words.

Sincerely,

Paul Merems
ExperimentalAero
[quote] ---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: