Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Glasair fuel selector valve

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Glasair-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Craymondw(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:15 am    Post subject: Glasair fuel selector valve Reply with quote

Had a problem with the fuel selector valve. The handle became loose and I worried that I might strip the shaft indent not allowing me to switch tanks. Tony Bengalis warned about switching fuel tanks and recommended leaving the handle on main and only using the header for emergency. After that, I resorted to using Lock Tite. That really worked well but I had to use a Butane torch when it was time to get the handle off. My next fix was using a counter sunk star washer to lock the handle in place and found that worked. Don't allow the handle to wear that selector valve extension shaft out. That little three inch shaft Glasair charges $47.00 for. The whole 3 port valve assembly is $23.00 at Aircraft Spruce (P/N 05-02672). You can extend the new shaft by cutting it in half and using bronze stock tubing and sweating both ends on then drill small holes and hammer pins in. Or buy rod material, cut it out yourself, drill the two small holes, tap the top one and file in the indent. I watched a friend with a small machine shop make one in a few minutes.

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Glasair-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Glasair-List
klwerner(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:36 am    Post subject: Glasair fuel selector valve Reply with quote

Why wouldn't you just replace that old valve if it is only $23 and be done with it? After all, how much is your own bacon worth. Mine is priceless to me...
Perhaps the Andair Line of valves would be the best choice, although they are a bit pricier. But then, in the big scheme of things, it is really nothing compared to crash landing after running dry with fuel still there but not readily accessible. Just my two pennies worth...
[quote] ---

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Craymondw(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:43 am    Post subject: Glasair fuel selector valve Reply with quote

After you buy the valve, you have to use an extended shaft. It is not the valve that fails, but the shaft. I replace my valve every five hundred hours.

[quote][b]

klwerner(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:03 am    Post subject: Glasair fuel selector valve Reply with quote

I would buy the Andair Valve incl. their extension !!! I am pretty sure they'll custom make it to your exact length if neither of their existing length's would cover your need.

www.andair.co.uk

[quote] ---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Glasair-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: