Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

oil thermostat installation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Allegro-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thom Riddle

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject: oil thermostat installation Reply with quote

A few days ago, Hugh McKay emailed to remind me that I had not posted photos of the oil thermostat we installed on our Allegro. I apologize for this oversight. After receiving Hugh's gentle reminder, I went to the hangar to take photos of the oil thermostat. Unfortunately, I only got two photos of questionable quality, before my batteries died. I did not even have enough battery juice to see if they came out okay until I got back home.

I hope the attached photos will help those of you who have not figured a good location for the oil thermostat. If you download the photos you should be able to zoom in to see pretty good detail because they are 2 megapixel photos if Matt's software does not reduce them. If more or better photos are needed I'll take some more. Notice that you don't see the gearbox. We have it off doing the required periodic inspection.

This may not be the only location possible but it works well. Be sure to make certain that you don't have any kinks in the hoses. The hose arrangement appears a bit convoluted but the flow directions required it. It was a bit of a hassle to get it located just right so there were no hose kinks and it cleared all potential interference points but was worth the effort.

- The Matronics Allegro-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Allegro-List

DSC00427.JPG
 Description:
Oil thermostat installation lft. frnt.
 Filesize:  832.84 KB
 Viewed:  933 Time(s)

DSC00427.JPG

DSC00426.JPG
 Description:
Oil thermostat installation Rt. Frnt
 Filesize:  850.63 KB
 Viewed:  894 Time(s)

DSC00426.JPG

Don't worry about old age... it doesn't last very long.
- Anonymous
hgmckay

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject: oil thermostat installation Reply with quote

Thom:

The photos were fine. However, from the pictures it was hard to determine
the schematic of the whole interconnected oil system (i.e. which hose is
"flow in", "flow out", and which hose is connected to the "in" and "out" of
the oil cooler. Could you post a one line schematic of the oil system
showing the thermostat and which hose connects to what?

Hugh

--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Thom Riddle

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: oil thermostat installation Reply with quote

The primary purpose of the photos I took was to show where it will fit on an Allegro. There is no way to get photos showing schematically how it is hooked up.

The oil thermostat has the ports marked and if my memory is correct, the installation instructions included with the part were pretty clear. Also, I think there is some Rotax documentation that shows where schematically where to install the oil thermostat. If you don't find what you are looking for in this regard, let me know and I'll dig it out from my archives.

I know that the C1 and C2 ports are connected to the two oil cooler ports. What I don't remember and can't tell from the photo is where the E ports connect into the system. I'm sure I knew the correct location schematically when we installed it two winters ago but would have to look again at our installation to be sure of how we did. I won't be going back to the hangar until next week. When I do I'll make notes of the connection schematic and post it afterwards.

- Anonymous
hgmckay

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:10 pm    Post subject: oil thermostat installation Reply with quote

Thom:

Many thanks for your assistance!

Hugh

--

Thom Riddle

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: oil thermostat installation Reply with quote

Upon finishing the gearbox inspection yesterday, I checked the connections to the Perma-Coll oil thermostat. The connections are thus:

C1 and C2 connect to the oil cooler, flow direction irrelevant.
E1 connects to "OUT" port on the oil sump(tank).
E2 connects to the inlet side of the oil pump.

So, the oil flows from the sump(tank) to the E1 port on the oil thermostat, and then through the thermostat and oil cooler at variying ratios depending upon temperature, then to the suction side of the oil pump via port E2 on the Perma-Cool.

- Anonymous
hgmckay

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:16 am    Post subject: oil thermostat installation Reply with quote

Thom:

Thanks again for the clarification.

Hugh

--

hgmckay

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:24 am    Post subject: oil thermostat installation Reply with quote

Thom:

When installing the oil thermostat on the 912 UL engine in a location
similar to the installation on your Allegro, does one have to vent the oil
system per the Rotax instructions since the hoses have been cut and
rearranged (i.e. has air now gotten into the oil system flow path requiring
venting the system)?

Hugh

--

Thom Riddle

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: oil thermostat installation Reply with quote

Hugh,

When we installed our oil thermostat, we removed the oil hoses from the cooler end and elevated and tied off the end from the sump (tank) to keep from draining out the oil. We turned the 90 degree fitting on the oil pump inlet up for the same reason. The oil cooler inlet and outlet are at the top so oil loss from the cooler was not an issue. With the new hoses connected to the oil thermostat and oil cooler inlet and outlet, we filled the oil thermostat and hoses and then made the final hose connections with them full. Doing it this way, we were able to prevent introduction of excess air into the oil system which precluded the need to purge the oil system. Our efforts paid off as we had normal oil pressure within 3 seconds of initial startup after installation was completed.

Note that since the Perma-Cool oil thermostat never closes off the oil cooler part of the circuit completely there need be no "air pocket" in the thermostat. When filling it SLOWLY with the hoses attached and the ends at high points allowing air to escape, the system should not have any air in it when making the final connections.

If you do introduce air into the system then you should definitely purge the system per Rotax instructions.

- Anonymous
hgmckay

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:53 am    Post subject: oil thermostat installation Reply with quote

Thom:

This term "introducing air into the system" relative to the oil system has
always bothered me. Do you not introduce air into the system every time you
change oil (i.e when you drain the oil tank and change the filter)?

Hugh

--

Thom Riddle

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: oil thermostat installation Reply with quote

Hugh,

Not really because draining the oil from the sump empties only that oil. The oil that is still in the oil passageways and the cooler and hoses (and now the thermostat) remains in place, unless you break the hose connections. That is why after you change your oil and run the engine, you see that the oil is not perfectly clear. Some old oil stays in the system.

It is a good idea to fill the new oil filter to just below half way when installing it to reduce the amount of air to a minimum. Anymore than half full and a lot will spill out when screwing it in. The air that goes in there is downstream of the pump (so the pump does not cavitate) and it finds its way out very quickly in the space under the valve covers after passing the rocker arms.

It is also a good idea when changing the oil to "burp" the system before draining in order to get as much of the oil as possible into the sump before draining. If you don't know how to "burp" the oil system, let me know and I'll explain it. Pretty simple process which should be done before checking the oil level too, to make sure your reading is correct.

- Anonymous
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Allegro-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: