Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just Highlander 3300

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> JabiruEngine-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dredmoody(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:31 am    Post subject: Just Highlander 3300 Reply with quote

Those V-shaped deflectors are necessary to force the airflow through the cylinder wall fins rather than letting more of the air simply flow through the gap between the cylinders. They should be on the incoming side of your airflow route. If the cooling air comes in from the top, put them on top. If your cooling air comes in from the bottom, put them on the bottom. If you do the opposite, the effect of forcing the air through the fins will occur much later in the airstream with reduced effectiveness.

Dred
[quote] ---

- The Matronics JabiruEngine-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List
vettin74(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:34 am    Post subject: Just Highlander 3300 Reply with quote

Not sure who has been talking about the 3300 over heating, certianly not anyone who has installed the engine and baffling correctly. Have been building and installing jabs for several years and in dozens of different types for 100mph RANS S7s to 170mph Lightnings all with success. The older solid lifter engines had a lower Mx temp however with the proper installation are not an issue. The new engines are very nice to install and have a much higher CHT max making installation a little more fool proof.

Nick
Arion aircraft LLC

Gary Weaver <gweaver(at)nctv.com> wrote:
[quote]--> JabiruEngine-List message posted by: "Gary Weaver"

GEE, after reading all the posts about the 3300 overheating I was wondering if I made a good decision buying the 3300. I was thinking Be a better friend, newshound, and [quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

japhillipsga(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:06 am    Post subject: Just Highlander 3300 Reply with quote

Gary, you know your probably correct about that Jab 3300 engine overheating. It probably will overheat and ruin and you'll lose everything. I might be able to help you out with your problem and I was thinking about building an airboat and it might work on it. I'll help you and buy your 3300 from you if your really concerned. Can't really pay you much for an engine that's probably a dud. I'll offer you $2,000. U.S. cash dollars and I'll come pick it up. Just let me know, Best regards, Bill of Georgia

--

donmorrisey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:05 pm    Post subject: Just Highlander 3300 Reply with quote

Gary, if you go to the yahoo jabiru engine email list and search for Fisher Dakota Hawk. There are several builders of that airplane using a standard lyc/conti cowl pressurization baffle system. One builder/pilot in Australia swears by it after having heating issues with an early 3300.

However, you shouldn't have an issue if you install the engine and ram air ducts properly.

Don.

www.donsbushcaddy.com
Don Morrisey's Skunkworks

Quote:
Quote:
Get the power of Windows + Web with the new Windows Live. Get it now!

matronics(at)rtist.nl

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:39 pm    Post subject: Just Highlander 3300 Reply with quote

Glad to see I'm not the only one suspecting this to be a troll..
Wink

Rob
---

matronics(at)rtist.nl

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:57 pm    Post subject: Just Highlander 3300 Reply with quote

Whoops! Responded to the wrong message, sorry... I meant to say that Bill
sees what I'm seeing as well. This Gary guy is deliberately telling us he
will do things entirely against everything we have learned in the past years
about using a Jabiru engine, and deliberately mentioning options that are
soooo wrong it's not even funny. Gary must be trolling. If not, I'm bidding
$2100...

Rob

---

Lynn Matteson

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:15 pm    Post subject: Just Highlander 3300 Reply with quote

I'll bid $2150, permit him to deliver it, and for his trouble, I'll
give him a tour of all the depressed areas of Michigan, including all
the shut-down industrial centers of the State. : )

Lynn
On Jan 16, 2008, at 3:54 PM, Rob Turk wrote:

[quote]
<matronics(at)rtist.nl>

Whoops! Responded to the wrong message, sorry... I meant to say
that Bill sees what I'm seeing as well. This Gary guy is
deliberately telling us he will do things entirely against
everything we have learned in the past years about using a Jabiru
engine, and deliberately mentioning options that are soooo wrong
it's not even funny. Gary must be trolling. If not, I'm bidding
$2100...

Rob

---

N1BZRich(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:05 pm    Post subject: Just Highlander 3300 Reply with quote

In a message dated 1/16/2008 1:08:52 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, japhillipsga(at)aol.com writes:
Quote:
Gary, you know your probably correct about that Jab 3300 engine overheating. It probably will overheat and ruin and you'll lose everything. I might be able to help you out with your problem and I was thinking about building an airboat and it might work on it. I'll help you and buy your 3300 from you if your really concerned. Can't really pay you much for an engine that's probably a dud. I'll offer you $2,000.

What a bunch of crock. If the Jabiru 3300 is installed correctly using the supplied parts as specified, then you should be able to get the CHTs into the correct range. You can do some adjusting on individual CHTs by placing small deflectors over individual cylinders and by slightly changing the baffle height in front of #1 and #3 which will change the amount of air that goes through the fiber-glass air ducts.  Remember, you want high pressure on top of the cylinders and low pressure under them. You can also help the situation by installing a small air dam to help air exit at the aft end of the lower cowling. This of course lowers air pressure under the cylinders and increases the air flow through the cylinders.
I have flown seven different Jabiru powered aircraft (six with the 3300 and one with the 2200) and with these adjustments as mentioned above, all have been well within the CHT ranges. The slowest was a Rans S7 and with the 3300 it was a real Super Cub beater. Fun airplane. Next slowest was a Zodiac 601XL which my EAA chapter built with me being the lead technical advisor and once again the air duct adjustments with small deflectors over the cylinders needing more cooling air did the trick. All the other Jabiru powered airplanes that I have flown have been the speedier homebuilts like the Esqual and Lightning. Again, no problems if you install the engine and air ducts as specified. If you continue to have problems, call the folks at Jabiru USA in Tennessee. In my mind, they are the experts. In fact, if you have not been to their Jabiur engine school, you have short changed yourself in your quest for knowledge.
Blue Skies,
Buz Rich
Highly modified Esqual with lots of Lightning stuff and a 3300 Jab that has 416 hours on it in the last 2 years. No problems on it and I run it hard.

Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year.
[quote][b]

tjs22t(at)verizon.net

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:05 pm    Post subject: Just Highlander 3300 Reply with quote

When you comedians do this nonsense could you at least add DO NOT ARCHIVE
like civilized folk??? Auditions for Last Comic Standing will be in April.
---

Lynn Matteson

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject: Just Highlander 3300 Reply with quote

Oops, I forgot. My "do not archive" is usually in the sig that I use,
but I didn't use it this time. I get used to not using it on Yahoo,
and missed the fact that this was on Matronics.

But to be perfectly honest, Thomas, this list is so seldom used that
a few that get by w/o DNA certainly won't clog up the system too badly.
However, you are absolutely right, and I for one, apologize.

Lynn Matteson
Grass Lake, Michigan
Kitfox IV Speedster w/Jabiru 2200
flying w/460+ hrs
do not archive
On Jan 16, 2008, at 5:00 PM, THOMAS SMALL wrote:

[quote]
<tjs22t(at)verizon.net>

When you comedians do this nonsense could you at least add DO NOT
ARCHIVE like civilized folk??? Auditions for Last Comic Standing
will be in April.
---

Gary Weaver

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Just Highlander 3300 Reply with quote

Well, thanks for all your advice. I've never flown a plane with a Jabiru. I have only flown super cubs and 180's.
What a swell bunch of guys!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> JabiruEngine-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: