Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do You Need All 6 EGT's??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> JabiruEngine-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaveG601XL

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:31 pm    Post subject: Do You Need All 6 EGT's?? Reply with quote

I am still working on my Jabiru 3300/Zenith 601XL FWF and have this to throw out to you all for opinions?

Do you really need to drill all six exhaust pipes and read six EGT's if using the Bing carb??

I understand that you cannot tune individual cylinders with this carb set-up. You can only change jet sizes to modify overall mixture or tilt the carb to favor one side or another. This said, Pete's recommendation from Jabiru USA is to still go ahead and drill all six.

I do not mind the work of drilling the extra four holes. My concern is of creating four more potential sources of undercowl heat and carbon monoxide from possible leaks. Maybe this is a non-issue, I don't know. Also I know that more thermocouples increases the chances of a bad sensor making you think there is a problem where none exists.

Can anybody with real world experience of reading all six cylinders chime in with:

1. Have you found any evidence where these probes leaked and caused issues.
2. Did reading all six EGT's tell you something that you would not have found out by reading only two.

Pete, these are the follow-up questions that I did not think to ask when I first asked you about this at the FWF seminar last fall.

Thanks,

- The Matronics JabiruEngine-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?JabiruEngine-List

Wayne Lenox

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:05 pm    Post subject: Do You Need All 6 EGT's?? Reply with quote

Dave
Yes you need all six EGT'S. If you have one bad plug, it is easy to find with mag check. One cylinder will go cold. You cannot tune individual cylinders with this carb set-up, but sure can tell if one is leaner then the others and need attention.
I have run six cylinder EGT'S on my C-182 for years and would not do with out them. I have found they seal up very well, no leaks.  I do check that the clamps on the EGT censers are tight at each oil change. You need all six!!
Wayne

-- "DaveG601XL" <david.m.gallagher(at)ge.com> wrote:
--> JabiruEngine-List message posted by: "DaveG601XL" <david.m.gallagher(at)ge.com>

I am still working on my Jabiru 3300/Zenith 601XL FWF and have this to throw out to you all for opinions?

Do you really need to drill all six exhaust pipes and read six EGT's if using the Bing carb??

I understand that you cannot tune individual cylinders with this carb set-up. You can only change jet sizes to modify overall mixture or tilt the carb to favor one side or another. This said, Pete's recommendation from Jabiru USA is to still go ahead and drill all six.

I do not mind the work of drilling the extra four holes. My concern is of creating four more potential sources of undercowl heat and carbon monoxide from possible leaks. Maybe this is a non-issue, I don't know. Also I know that more thermocouples increases the chances of a bad sensor making you think there is a problem where none exists.

Can anybody with real world experience of reading all six cylinders chime in with:

1. Have you found any evidence where these probes leaked and caused issues.
2. Did reading all six EGT's tell you something that you would not have found out by reading only two.

Pete, these are the follow-up questions that I did not think to ask when I first asked you about this at the FWF seminar last fall.

Thanks,

--------
David Gallagher
601 XL, tail and wings completed,
fueslage almost done. Working engine and electrical systems.

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p================================================================================================; - MATRONICS WEB F================================================nbsp;   &================================================

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

lbmathias(at)verizon.net

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Do You Need All 6 EGT's?? Reply with quote

Dave,

I have all 6 EGT's and CHT's on my 3300 in a Lightning; the
comparisons for all 6 have been invaluable in troubleshooting and resolving
some CHT overheating problems through the past summer. I am still having
some fairly large discrepancies between the EGT's on the left and right
sides of the engine during climbout; still working to resolve those. Both
rejetting and twisting the carb helped a little but I was unable to twist it
far enough to resolve the problem because the second twist caused a blockage
of the throttle linkage. I may have to rejet again but having the #s for
all cylinders helps JabiruUSA/Arion know how to advise me.

Linda Mathias

---

Peter H

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: Do You Need All 6 EGT's?? Reply with quote

Dave
Good questions I think Dave. I went through the same logic, but also each of
my probes cost AUD60 and the leads are AUD50. I worked with two probes and
the Bing and confirmed that #5 (RHS) was a good deal hotter than #6 (LHS)
which can be cured by tilting the carb. I also found the mixture excessively
rich above 2800rpm and this tends to lessen the heat differential at the
expense of power. The needle valve seat leaks from about 2800RPM up.
I have since fitted EFI using a single throttle body with two injectors,
which mounts into the Bing spigot hose.
The additional airflow has made the problem worse and the difference in T
becomes very high above 2800RPM. I can cure the T differential problem only
by running excessively rich at the cost of power.
I believe the cause of the problem is due to the fact that the intake
headers are fed from a collector of less than 1/2L capacity. The carb feeds
the collector. A very neat and economical manufacturing design at the
expense of uniform distribution of the fuel air mix.
Good design (for EFI) demands a manifold of at least 3L capacity and I am
starting a project to make it happen for my installation.
Peter H

--

info(at)usjabiru.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject: Do You Need All 6 EGT's?? Reply with quote

We don't find any issues with the probes leaking. Once in a while we see an
oddly lean cylinder which may indicate an intake leak.

Pete
--

Peter H

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject: Do You Need All 6 EGT's?? Reply with quote

Linda,
Can you advise please, what is a typical pattern of EGT ie are the RHS
hotter but even or do they also vary , and by how much. Are the LHS even and
cooler?
Thanks
Peter H

--

imap8ntr(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject: Do You Need All 6 EGT's?? Reply with quote

Please update my profile to change my email address. I tried to do it
online but I forgot my name and/or password. My new email address is
IMAP8NTR(at)COX.NET

Thanks
Ivan

---

Kayberg(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject: Do You Need All 6 EGT's?? Reply with quote

In a message dated 1/22/2008 4:35:38 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, david.m.gallagher(at)ge.com writes:
Quote:

No you dont.

but it also depends on what you are using to monitor them. If you are looking at 6 numbers, I find that distracting. If you have a graphic representation, that is better.

If you notice one exhaust is higher than the others, can you do anything about it? Not really. But it will give you something to worry about on long cross countries. You can try flying along sideways to see if you can even the flow through the carb!!!

CHTs are a different matter. You need all 6.

Just my opinion.

Doug Koenigsberg

Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year.
[quote][b]

lbmathias(at)verizon.net

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject: Do You Need All 6 EGT's?? Reply with quote

Peter,

The biggest discrepancy occurs during climbout at full power; #3 and
#5 cylinder are generally in the high 1300's or even sometimes in the 1400's
while #4 and #6 are registering about 1130-1150. Nos. 1 and 2 are usually
in the low 1300's.

Linda

---

Peter H

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: Do You Need All 6 EGT's?? Reply with quote

Linda,Thanks
I have seen similar EGT variance and up to 145degC difference above 2800rpm.
I get different results depending on RPM and I believe it is due to
turbulence in the collector I referred earlier.
Peter

--

Lynn Matteson

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:12 am    Post subject: Do You Need All 6 EGT's?? Reply with quote

I'll jump in here with couple of numbers from my 2200....At about
2750 rpm, the left front would read 1390 and the LR 1330. When I went
to 2850, they would almost swap readings to within a few degrees of
the original readings. The right side would do something similar, but
I didn't take real good mental notes of that side. All temps are of
course F, and this was flown during an OAT of about 20 F.
I'm real glad I have all four cylinders monitored, and if I had the
3300, I'd want them all monitored as well.

Lynn Matteson
Grass Lake, Michigan
Kitfox IV Speedster w/Jabiru 2200
flying w/460+ hrs
On Jan 22, 2008, at 11:48 PM, Peter Harris wrote:

[quote]
<peterjfharris(at)bigpond.com>

Linda,Thanks
I have seen similar EGT variance and up to 145degC difference above
2800rpm.
I get different results depending on RPM and I believe it is due to
turbulence in the collector I referred earlier.
Peter

--

DaveG601XL

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: Do You Need All 6 EGT's?? Reply with quote

OK, you convinced me. I was leaning towards reading all six anyway. My background is in production aircraft where I do not have every EGT and CHT looking me in the face. In the case of the 1946 Champ I rent out, there are none. As Doug said, why not have something else to worry about during cross country trips.

I will use the latest Jabiru recommendation of 120mm down from the face of the exhaust port.

Thanks,

dredmoody(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:30 am    Post subject: Do You Need All 6 EGT's?? Reply with quote

The key word on the 1946 Champ was "rent".

Dred

---- DaveG601XL <david.m.gallagher(at)ge.com> wrote:
Quote:

OK, you convinced me. I was leaning towards reading all six anyway. My background is in production aircraft where I do not have every EGT and CHT looking me in the face. In the case of the 1946 Champ I rent out, there are none.

Float Flyr

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:50 am    Post subject: Do You Need All 6 EGT's?? Reply with quote

If you have one cylinder start to run lean, for whatever reason, and you
have an electronic engine monitor then you may as well take advantage of it.
It could save you blowing a hole in a piston of a hot cylinder.

Noel

--

Lynn Matteson

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:00 am    Post subject: Do You Need All 6 EGT's?? Reply with quote

Nice to see a familiar name over here, Noel...thinking of making the
switch? : )

Lynn Matteson
Grass Lake, Michigan
Kitfox IV Speedster w/Jabiru 2200
flying w/460+ hrs
do not archive
On Jan 23, 2008, at 11:47 AM, Noel Loveys wrote:

Quote:

<noelloveys(at)yahoo.ca>

If you have one cylinder start to run lean, for whatever reason,
and you
have an electronic engine monitor then you may as well take
advantage of it.

Noel

Kayberg(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject: Do You Need All 6 EGT's?? Reply with quote

In a message dated 1/23/2008 11:51:26 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, noelloveys(at)yahoo.ca writes:
Quote:

If you have one cylinder start to run lean, for whatever reason, and you
have an electronic engine monitor then you may as well take advantage of it.

Noel

And do what?

Most likely if you have a cylinder that shows a high EGT, the probe has gone bad, If the manifold has no leaks. AND if you drilled the hole in the exhaust EXACTLY the same distance as all the others.

You could then swap the probe with another one to see if it is the probe. Other than that, it just gives you something to fret about.

Keep the mixtures rich rather than lean (remember aircooled engines are also fuel-cooled) and spend the extra $.50 an hour it costs for a slightly rich mixture for peace of mind.

I deal with electronic sensors most every day. They are capable of offering more information than can be processed and are difficult to check for accuracy. Particularly digital readouts are difficult to asses. EGT probes suffer a lot of temperature changes.

Again, I advocate worrying about the Cylinder Head Temps on individual cylinders more than the EGTs on each.

Doug Koenigsberg

[quote][b]

BobsV35B(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:35 pm    Post subject: Do You Need All 6 EGT's?? Reply with quote

Good Afternoon Doug,

You ask: "And do what?"

What to do is not something that can be answered with a single flip statement.

Operating an engine monitor properly requires a considerable amount of study of the combustion process. The existence of a high EGT is, as you infer, relatively insignificant, but by looking for the peak EGT points, the adequacy of mixture distribution can be evaluated. The peak point can be determined accurately even when the gauge is very inaccurate!

That knowledge will allow an operator to search for an answer that may provide better operating conditions. It would be nice to be able to adjust the fuel flow to each individual cylinder, but there are a multitude of other conditions that can lead to an uneven fuel mixture. Burning up a little extra fuel may or may not be a financial disadvantage for some folks, but extra fuel is almost l always a detriment to long life in any engine.

I do take strong exception to your statement that "aircooled engines are also fuel-cooled"

Extra fuel is often used to aid in placing the peak combustion event at a point where peak cylinder pressures and peak cylinder temperatures can be held within reason, but that effect can be used for engines that are cooled in any manner, not just aircooled engines.

Most aircraft engines use a very rich mixture at high powers. Those same engines will run cleaner and cooler at cruise powers if they are operated at mixtures that are more lean than the stoichiometric mixture.

Not only is the engine cooler and less expensive to operate when on the "lean" side, but it also produces much less carbon monoxide. While none of us ever expect to have an exhaust leak that will find it's way into our cabin heater, running lean could save your life if a leak does occur.

I think there are at least two questions here.

1. Is it a good idea to find out what IS happening in each cylinder?

2. Is it a good ideas to operate on the Green (lean) side of best power?

I believe the answer to both questions is a strong and resounding YES!!

Happy Skies,

Old Bob
AKA
Bob Siegfried
Stearman N3977A
Downers Grove, IL

In a message dated 1/23/2008 1:58:28 PM Central Standard Time, Kayberg(at)aol.com writes:
Quote:
And do what?

Most likely if you have a cylinder that shows a high EGT, the probe has gone bad, If the manifold has no leaks. AND if you drilled the hole in the exhaust EXACTLY the same distance as all the others.

You could then swap the probe with another one to see if it is the probe. Other than that, it just gives you something to fret about.

Keep the mixtures rich rather than lean (remember aircooled engines are also fuel-cooled) and spend the extra $.50 an hour it costs for a slightly rich mixture for peace of mind.

I deal with electronic sensors most every day. They are capable of offering more information than can be processed and are difficult to check for accuracy. Particularly digital readouts are difficult to asses. EGT probes suffer a lot of temperature changes.

Again, I advocate worrying about the Cylinder Head Temps on individual cylinders more than the EGTs on each.

Doug Koenigsberg

[quote][b]

N1BZRich(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:34 pm    Post subject: Do You Need All 6 EGT's?? Reply with quote

Hey Bob,
What's the latest news and progress on your granddaughter's Legend Cub? Do she still plan on using a Jabiru 3300. I think she will like the performance that it will provide.  See you at SNF?
Blue Skies,
Buz

[quote][b]

BobsV35B(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:52 pm    Post subject: Do You Need All 6 EGT's?? Reply with quote

Good Afternoon Buz,

They have it covered and assembled, but the engine (it is a 3300) has not yet been hung and the wiring has yet to be started. They hope to have it flying by spring break, but you know the old saying: Ninety percent finished and ninety percent to go!

Happy Skies,

Old Bob

In a message dated 1/23/2008 3:36:38 PM Central Standard Time, N1BZRich(at)aol.com writes:
Quote:
Hey Bob,
What's the latest news and progress on your granddaughter's Legend Cub? Do she still plan on using a Jabiru 3300.  I think she will like the performance that it will provide. See you at SNF?
Blue Skies,
Buz

[quote][b]

Kayberg(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject: Do You Need All 6 EGT's?? Reply with quote

In a message dated 1/23/2008 3:38:05 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, BobsV35B(at)aol.com writes:
Quote:
Good Afternoon Doug,

You ask: "And do what?"

What to do is not something that can be answered with a single flip statement.

Operating an engine monitor properly requires a considerable amount of study of the combustion process. The existence of a high EGT is, as you infer, relatively insignificant, but by looking for the peak EGT points, the adequacy of mixture distribution can be evaluated. The peak point can be determined accurately even when the gauge is very inaccurate!

That knowledge will allow an operator to search for an answer that may provide better operating conditions. It would be nice to be able to adjust the fuel flow to each individual cylinder, but there are a multitude of other conditions that can lead to an uneven fuel mixture. Burning up a little extra fuel may or may not be a financial disadvantage for some folks, but extra fuel is almost l always a detriment to long life in any engine.

I do take strong exception to your statement that "aircooled engines are also fuel-cooled"

Extra fuel is often used to aid in placing the peak combustion event at a point where peak cylinder pressures and peak cylinder temperatures can be held within reason, but that effect can be used for engines that are cooled in any manner, not just aircooled engines.

Most aircraft engines use a very rich mixture at high powers. Those same engines will run cleaner and cooler at cruise powers if they are operated at mixtures that are more lean than the stoichiometric mixture.

Not only is the engine cooler and less expensive to operate when on the "lean" side, but it also produces much less carbon monoxide. While none of us ever expect to have an exhaust leak that will find it's way into our cabin heater, running lean could save your life if a leak does occur.

I think there are at least two questions here.

1. Is it a good idea to find out what IS happening in each cylinder?

2. Is it a good ideas to operate on the Green (lean) side of best power?

I believe the answer to both questions is a strong and resounding YES!!

I do plead guilty to being flip. But I think you missed my point.

With a single carb for 6 cylinders, that is altitude compensating not mechanically leanable from the cockpit, just what options does the worried pilot have?

True you can get some indication of what is happening in each cylinder, IF the sensors are correctly placed and monitored, IF you have both EGT and CHT probes , you MAY have a means of understanding what MAY be happening. That takes some resounding off the yes to question one.

While it may be a good idea to operate on the lean side of peak, just how do you do that when you have little control over it? The carb supplied with the Jab 3300 can be tweeked to run lean at a particular altitude, particular load and particular RPM. But it will make up its own mind at all other throttle settings, density altitude and load. That takes a great deal of shine off the resounding Yes to question 2.

I thought that fuel cooling was well known in the aviation engine business, perhaps I am wrong. I remember reading a couple articles about it over the years. But it is particularly helpful in high power settings, such as takeoff and climb....which is why many engines do run rich at those settings. Not so helpful at cruise, I agree.

I do agree that knowing Peak EGT would be very helpful IF you could control the mixture.

No quibles about carbon monoxide being less at lean mixtures. However, a tight cockpit is a requrement if you are going to get gassed.....and requires use of a cabin heater with access to combustion products.

Doug Koenigsberg

[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> JabiruEngine-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: