Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RV8a- Ailerion & Wing Tip Match

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV8-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
japhillipsga(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:19 am    Post subject: RV8a- Ailerion & Wing Tip Match Reply with quote

RV-8 Builders, I got a problem. I have the wings mounted on my 8a. I attached the ailerons and set them to the template provided by Van (cut out plywood). Added the flaps and with plenty of careful trimming they line up with the ailerons and fuselage bottom. All is well. Then I put on the fiberglass wing tips and they don't line up with the aileron. Sooooo. Do I go with the template or the wing tip ? I want the bird to fly right, but I also want it to look right. Hope to hear from some folks that have solved this problem. Thanks, Bill of Georgia

--

- The Matronics RV8-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV8-List
dan(at)rvproject.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:54 am    Post subject: RV8a- Ailerion & Wing Tip Match Reply with quote

I'm not a fan of the wood template. It's a broad stroke on something that, imho, can be a lot more precise.

On my RV-7 (same wings as yours), I used the extended centerline that bisects the main wing rib tooling holes, and I made sure the ailerons' trailing edges were dead nuts on that extended line. More accurate technique imho. YMMV

Sharpie
www.rvproject.com
[quote] ---

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

japhillipsga(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:07 am    Post subject: RV8a- Ailerion & Wing Tip Match Reply with quote

Sharpie, is this centerline/deadnuts technique shown on the plans somewhere? Thanks Bill

--

planecrazzy(at)wildblue.n

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:13 am    Post subject: RV8a- Ailerion & Wing Tip Match Reply with quote

Bill,

I had the same problem on my 8a.

I went with the template.

I had to split the wing tip ends and adjust to fit the ailerons.

Results were ok.

ray

south caroline
RV-8 Builders, I got a problem. I have the wings mounted on my 8a. I
[quote] attached the ailerons and set them to the template provided by Van (cut
out plywood). Added the flaps and with plenty of careful trimming they
line up with the ailerons and fuselage bottom. All is well. Then I put on
the fiberglass wing tips and they don't line up with the aileron. Sooooo.
Do I go with the template or the wing tip ? I want the bird to fly right,
but I also want it to look right. Hope to hear from some folks that have
solved this problem. Thanks, Bill of Georgia

--

dan(at)rvproject.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject: RV8a- Ailerion & Wing Tip Match Reply with quote

It may be. It has been a while. I honestly don't remember where I saw it or read about it. I think it was in the RV-7 construction manual. If memory serves, it mentioned that the wing profile template would be printed on the inside of the crate (it was not), and that an alternate method involves using the tooling holes. It may be mentioned on a Construction FAQ on Van's site. Don't hold me to that...check with Van's if you're unsure.

In any case, YMMV, but this "priority" order of things worked great for me (my plane is no slouch speed-wise):

1. Set the ailerons precisely in trail.
2. Align the flaps to the ailerons.
3. Align the wing tips to the ailerons.
4. Rig the pushrods/bellcranks with the ailerons held exactly in trail.

On a side-by-side RV (I know this is the RV-8 list, but I'm mentioning it regardless), make sure the elevators are rigged & clamped in trail while you rig your aileron pushrods & bellcranks. There's a "triangulation" effect on the side-by-side RVs since the aileron & elevator control movements are linked.

Sharpie
[quote] ---

flyinwithme99(at)yahoo.co

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:33 pm    Post subject: RV8a- Ailerion & Wing Tip Match Reply with quote

Also remember that there is quite a bit of adjustment available when installing the wingtip. It can be joggled around to line up with just about anything...

Manny

japhillipsga(at)aol.com wrote:
[quote]Sharpie, is this centerline/deadnuts technique shown on the plans somewhere? Thanks Bill

--

jesse(at)casco.net

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: RV8a- Ailerion & Wing Tip Match Reply with quote

Finishing up on my 8A QB and had the same problem. Talked to factory but they weren't much help. I think I recall the wing tips sometimes get distorted and use the template. I did get them close. We'll see when I fly.

Jesse-Oregon
painting
[quote] ---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV8-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: