Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help me solve the case of the missing fuel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Glasair-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MPPalmer(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:07 pm    Post subject: Help me solve the case of the missing fuel Reply with quote

Hi All:

Over the last 3 months or so, we have been running out of fuel faster than usual and faster than our fuel totalizer shows. It's gotten to the point now that we can't account for about 7 gallon of fuel in a 43 gallon top off! (Ran out of fuel in flight in the main today an hour short. Fortunately, had the Header topped for just such a contingency.)

At first, when the problem started, I thought the totalizer was off a bit. But as the problem grows, it seems the totalizer must still be right. It says we're burning our usual 7 GPH, but our fule "burn" calculates now to 9 GPH! We're certainly not going any faster for it!

I'm thinking we must be blowing a bunch of fuel overboard in flight, but am at a loss to figure out where or how. I've checked the fuel pump overflow. It's dry. I've looked at the belly. Maybe something at the center vent... not sure yet, nor am I sure how to tell. (Steve K. can testify you don't want to form up on me to find out!)

We can't smell any fuel in the airplane. But when we've had bona fide leaks before - like when one of the fuel drains didn't close all the way on preflight - we can sure smell fuel then.

The airplane is hangared. I don't think a thief is stealing fuel from us

- The Matronics Glasair-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Glasair-List
Bruce(at)glasair.org

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:19 pm    Post subject: Help me solve the case of the missing fuel Reply with quote

Are you blowing it out the fuel caps?

Bruce
www.Glasair.org
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />
[quote]
--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

deej(at)deej.net

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: Help me solve the case of the missing fuel Reply with quote

MPPalmer(at)aol.com wrote:

Quote:
The airplane is hangared. I don't think a thief is stealing fuel from us.

Are you sure? If it were leaking, you'd see it on the ground or smell
it. I went nuts trying to figure out why my header tank was empty every
time I went to the airport, until I moved the airplane to another
airport and mysteriously the fuel stayed in the tank after that.

-Dj

--
Dj Merrill
Sportsman 2+2 Builder #7118
http://deej.net/sportsman/

"Many things that are unexplainable happen during the construction of an
airplane." --Dave Prizio, 30 Aug 2005

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Glasair-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: