Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wheel Bearing Inspection/Lubrication

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Allegro-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hgmckay

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:35 am    Post subject: Wheel Bearing Inspection/Lubrication Reply with quote

I notice that the Allegro 2000 Check and Maintenance Manual says very little
concerning checking the front and main gear wheel bearings. I haven't looked
closely, but do these bearings have to be lubricated, or are they sealed
bearings?

Hugh McKay III

Allegro 2000

Rotax 912 UL

N661WW

- The Matronics Allegro-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Allegro-List
Thom Riddle

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:40 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel Bearing Inspection/Lubrication Reply with quote

Hugh,
The wheel bearings on the Allegro are sealed and need no periodic cleaning and greasing. In about 600 hours of service on our Allegro, so far, they have performed well with no complaint and no service. During annual inspections, we examine the wheel carefully for cracks etc and spin it to see if there is any drag in the bearing but that is about it.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Don't worry about old age... it doesn't last very long.
- Anonymous
Roger Lee

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel Bearing Inspection/Lubrication Reply with quote

Hi Hugh,

There are 1 or 2 little checks you should do. Jack one side up so the wheel is off the ground just a little and see if you can detect any wobble or odd noise from the wheel or the brakes. When wheels have some time on them the axial nut may need to be adjusted, usually a little tighter. See if the wheel turns freely or is it hanging up slightly or is there any movement from side to side. If you have standard straight ball bearing type wheel or tapered roller bearings. If you have the tapered roller bearing the wheel should only spin once around when you try to spin it. If it's the straight roller bearing type then it should spin freely several times.

Light Sport Repairman
Home 520-574-1080 TRY HOME FIRST
Cell 520-349-7056
hgmckay

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:11 am    Post subject: Wheel Bearing Inspection/Lubrication Reply with quote

Roger:

I have jacked the main gear wheels and checked the free rotation without
load on the wheel. Both wheels turn freely for part of a revolution and then
seem to drag on the brake pad and stop. I can feel the slight drag at one
area when I slowly turn the wheel with my hand. My spare parts catalogue has
a blank page where the main carriage with hydraulic brakes are listed, so I
don't know if the main gear wheels have tapered or ball bearings. I visually
checked the inside pad/disk clearance and can see no gap between the pad and
the disk. This doesn't mean there is not a minute gap that can't be seen.
The caliper unit does have some play in it which is normal, but should I be
able to see a small gap between the inside pad and the disk, or not? I also
notice that the visible ends of the two steel pins that retain the pads,
(the ends that have cotter-pins in them) are protruding different lengths.
The top steel pin protrudes more than the bottom steel pin. The outer pad is
snug against the cotter-pin in the lower steel pin. Should these steel pins
have free movement in them? The pads have plenty of material on them, so
they appear to be fine. Any comments?

The nose gear wheel rotates freely.

Hugh

--

Roger Lee

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel Bearing Inspection/Lubrication Reply with quote

Hi Hugh,

If you see a very small gap in the brake pad and the disc that is ok. It is not ok if it causes you to pump your brakes to get them to contact the disc to slow you down.
One way to check for straight round bearings verses tapered roller bearings is to pull it off the axial. Tapered roller bearings look conical and you can actually see the elongated roller bearings. If they are the straight ball bearings it will look like a sealed bearing and you may or may not see the round balls inside the bearing. Tapered ball bearings fit into the race straight in and tapered roller bearings kind of "V" inward toward the axial. If you see a tapered roller bearing there won't be any doubt in you mind as to what it is.
If your wheel spins smoothly and has no play back and forth in the bearings when you grab the wheel when it is jacked up off the ground you should be ok. If it spins part way and has around or stops it means your bearing is probably starting to go or it could have had water in the bearing area. That doesn't mean you drove through any water you may live in a very humid climate. You may have a bearing starting to wear a little too much.
The best way to really check the bearings and axial is of course to take it off and inspect it. If you put your finger in the bearing and turn the wheel you will have a better feel about the rough spots in the bearing and race.

Light Sport Repairman
Home 520-574-1080 TRY HOME FIRST
Cell 520-349-7056
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Allegro-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: