Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Aerobatic ability

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV6-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MnwPeeps(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:07 am    Post subject: Aerobatic ability Reply with quote

Hello, all -

I've had my 6A for a while, but have not been successful determining what the aircraft can safely do - or not do, aerobatically. Without a 'chute, I don't want to be up there, experimenting.

Can anyone with experience advise:

1. Am I correct in assuming snaps are ok, as to airframe stress? What might be the best entry speed? I'm guessing around 90 to 110 mph.

2. I gather Vans has suggested rather firmly that we not engage in recreational spins. Why not? Do some of you spin, anyway? What is the risk factor? Aren't just two or three turns ok?

3. What about hammerheads? If the a/c allows them, safely, what are the control movements? With my previous military trainer, it was full pwr, straight up to just below stall, then full right rudder and simultaneous full left aileron, followed by immediate full-forward stick, maintaining the left bias. The trainer would then slowly pitch over, do a gentle half-roll, and proceed straight down. I'm kind of missing that!

4. Is a tailslide (as in "a failed hammerhead") dangerous for the 6A - - over-stressing?

I'm getting a tad bored with rolls and loops. Any sage advice would be appreciated.

thanks - Mark

New MapQuest Local shows what's happening at your destination. Dining, Movies, Events, News & more. Try it out!
[quote][b]

- The Matronics RV6-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV6-List
houndsfour(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject: Aerobatic ability Reply with quote

Without a chute, you shouldn't be doing any munuvers with a bank angle greater than 60 degrees
by faa regs.
Rich
But dosen't she do a great roll.

[quote]-------------- Original message --------------
Hello, all -

I've had my 6A for a while, but have not been successful determining what the aircraft can safely do - or not do, aerobatically. Without a 'chute, I don't want to be up there, experimenting.

1. Am I correct in assuming snaps are ok, as to airframe stress? What might be the best entry speed? I'm guessing around 90 to 110 mph.

2. I gather Vans has suggested rather firmly that we not engage in recreational spins. Why not? Do some of you spin, anyway? What is the risk factor? Aren't just two or three turns ok?

3. What about hammerheads? If the a/c allows them, safely, what are the control movements? With my previous military trainer, it was full pwr, straight up to just below stall, then full right rudder and simultaneous full left aileron, followed by immediate full-forward stick, maintaining the left bias. The trainer would then slowly pitch over, do a gentle half-roll, and proceed straight down. I'm kind of missing that!

4. Is a tailslide (as in "a failed hammerhead") dangerous for the 6A - - over-stressing?

I'm getting a tad bored with rolls and loops. Any sage advice would be appreciated.

thanks - Mark

New MapQuest Local shows what's happening at your destination. Dining, Movies, Events, News & more. Try it out!
Quote:

[b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

MnwPeeps(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:44 am    Post subject: Aerobatic ability Reply with quote

In a message dated 10/3/2008 2:17:49 PM Eastern Daylight Time, houndsfour(at)comcast.net writes:
Quote:
Without a chute, you shouldn't be doing any munuvers with a bank angle greater than 60 degrees
by faa regs.

Well, that's constructive!

"Munuvers?" How about maneuvers??

Back to your cave, laddie!

[quote][b]

D1GCC(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:53 am    Post subject: Aerobatic ability Reply with quote

In a message dated 03/10/2008 20:44:38 GMT Daylight Time, MnwPeeps(at)aol.com writes:
Quote:
maneuvers??

or in the Queen's English "manoeuvres"
[quote][b]

wdleonard(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject: Aerobatic ability Reply with quote

Mark,

Lots of stuff about that in the archives. Don't listen to me, check there

I have done snap rolls but they are a little a little sketchy because the entry speed window is rather narrow, closer to 75-80 kts as I recall. Work it out by doing accelerated stalls. Make sure your entry speed is less than the speed for a 4G accelerated stall, preferably even slower. It is a supper fun maneuver, but I snapped a rudder chain and also tweaked my rudder doing them, so I have not done any in a while.

I also do multi turn spins (even 10 or more turns). I loose oil pressure at around 8 turns (because the lateral forces build up and empty the oil sump). Also supper fun and relatively benign, at least in my plane. I think Vans recommends avioiding them because you never know if one aircraft will behave differently than the next. Also, it is only a matter of time until someone makes an error and burns in.

I don't do hammer heads because I never got training in them and it just seems to me that a backslide would be very hard on the rudder.

JMHO,
--
David Leonard

Turbo Rotary RV-6 N4VY
http://N4VY.RotaryRoster.net
http://RotaryRoster.net
On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 10:07 AM, <MnwPeeps(at)aol.com (MnwPeeps(at)aol.com)> wrote:
[quote] Hello, all -

thanks - Mark

Quote:

[b]

MnwPeeps(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject: Aerobatic ability Reply with quote

In a message dated 10/3/2008 11:23:35 PM Eastern Daylight Time, wdleonard(at)gmail.com writes:
Quote:
Lots of stuff about that in the archives. Don't listen to me, check there

Man

[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV6-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: