Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Allegro 2000, cracked gear leg.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Allegro-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
t.j.vanduin(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:55 am    Post subject: Allegro 2000, cracked gear leg. Reply with quote

Fellow-Allegro-owners / Mr. Thom Riddle,

Since one month I am the possessor of an Allegro 2000, built in 2001, which I bought from a
first owner in the Netherlands. I'm located in France. After the purchase I found your Allegro list
on the internet. I went through all your mails and would very much like to join you as a member
of the list.

At the innerside of the left gear leg I found a crack about 4 inches from the clamping area over
the total width of the leg. Too risky to keep flying!

Replacing both gear legs by stronger (and .1 inch thicker) ones is possible, but this requires to
remove partially .025 inch of material at both sides of the legs (the thickness) and also to
remove this material from the mating socket surfaces on the fuselage.

I quote Thom when he concludes that lastmentioned job is going to be no fun at all and don't
know whether Thom and myself are the only ones to deal with this problem until now.
I could not find any follow-up info about his rework- and replacement job on the Allegro list
and am very interested to learn more about his experiences in this matter.

On the other hand, as only one leg of my plane is damaged, and so many Allegro's are still
flying with the old design legs, why shouldn't I try to find a replacement leg of the original size?

Any comments in this matter is very much appreciated! ( I would like to fly again asap and safe).

Theo van Duin

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Allegro-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Allegro-List
Thom Riddle

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:00 am    Post subject: Re: Allegro 2000, cracked gear leg. Reply with quote

Hello Theo,

We replaced both main gear legs on our Allegro. It turned out to be less trouble than I had expected. We did NOT remove any material from the sockets where the gear legs fit into the fuselage. All the material removal was from the gear legs themselves where they fit into the sockets. We used a powered belt sander for this work and it went more quickly than I had anticipated. I suggest you do the work carefully, removing equal amounts of material, as required, from opposite sides and opposite edges. Sand and test the fitting, then sand some more and test again. Do not remove more material than necessary to get the leg to fit.

Once you have them fitting nicely, I suggest you put a piece of thin rubber (like the material that a tire inner tube is made of) above the leg where it contacts the outboard part of the fuselage socket. Without this rubber, the bending leg makes contact with that sharp edge at the top of the socket putting unnecessary and undue amounts of stress on the upper part of the gear leg. The strip of rubber, perhaps 3-4 cm wide and the full width of the socket, should be glued in place on the upper surface of the gear leg or to the inside of the socket in that area. It does not have to stick outside the socket, which would be ugly, but it must come close to the outside edge of the socket to absorb the stresses of the bending gear leg.

After replacing the gear legs in this manner we flew the airplane more than 300 hours with no more gear leg trouble, before selling the airplane last month.

- The Matronics Allegro-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Allegro-List

Don't worry about old age... it doesn't last very long.
- Anonymous
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Allegro-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: