Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

C-5 Oil Consumption Issue...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Corvette-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matt Dralle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:35 am    Post subject: C-5 Oil Consumption Issue... Reply with quote

Quote:
,..Matt bought a C-5 back in 2001, and I did also, so that is how the
list started...He had oil consumption problems with his stick shift
version...Several of us mentioned to him that he was "throwing" it by going
to max RPM in every gear...That must have been the problem, for we didn't
hear much of anything from him after that, or from anyone...

I found a couple of things that helped the situation. I've got about 43k miles on my C5 now and the oil consumption is down to maybe 1qt every 5000 or so. Not great, but livable. To lower the consumption, I found that always using 6th gear on the highway helped a lot. The C5 is pretty gutless in 6th at 75mph, so when I first got it I would leave it in 5th.

Now, I typically always try to keep the rpm around 2000-2500 (or less) for normal driving. This seems to help too.

I also try to minimize the amount of compression down shifting. Yeah, it sounds really cool, but I think those compression pops are when the oil is blowing by.

Finally, I think that at 43k miles, its finally just mostly broken in. With the 2001 model year, Chevy used new and much harder rings which didn't like to seat.

Other than that, I totally love the C5 and have had little or now other problems.

Matt

Matt G Dralle | Matronics | PO Box 347 | Livermore | CA | 94551
925-606-1001 V | 925-606-6281 F | dralle(at)matronics.com Email
http://www.matronics.com/ WWW | Featuring Products For Aircraft

- The Matronics Corvette-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Corvette-List

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Corvette-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: