Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sailplane-List Digest: 1 Msgs - 12/24/08

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Sailplane-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrJSherm(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject: Sailplane-List Digest: 1 Msgs - 12/24/08 Reply with quote

GOD...activity!!! Watching this site for 2 yrs...well, if I am able to respond correctly, Hi! I used to have a Grob tandem, and did spins, loops Cuban 8's...what ru doing...loved taking people up for that kind of stuff w/o an engine! Gave it up when I relocated to the Carolina coast...wish I had a motor glider! John Sherm, Wilmington, NC

In a message dated 12/25/2008 3:09:31 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, sailplane-list(at)matronics.com writes:
Quote:

=========================
Online Versions of Today's List Digest Archive
=========================

Today's complete Sailplane-List Digest can also be found in either of the
two Web Links listed below. The .html file includes the Digest formatted
in HTML for viewing with a web browser and features Hyperlinked Indexes
and Message Navigation. The .txt file includes the plain ASCII version
of the Sailplane-List Digest and can be viewed with a generic text editor
such as Notepad or with a web browser.

HTML Version:

http://www.matronics.com/digest/digestview.php?Style=82701&View=html&Chapter=2008-12-24&Archive=Sailplane

Text Version:

http://www.matronics.com/digest/digestview.php?Style=82701&View=txt&Chapter=2008-12-24&Archive=Sailplane
=======================
EMail Version of Today's List Digest Archive
=======================
----------------------------------------------------------
  Sailplane-List Digest Archive
  ---
  Total Messages Posted Wed 12/24/08: 1
----------------------------------------------------------
Today's Message Index:
----------------------

1. 12:12 AM - Re: Sailplane-List Digest: 0 Msgs - 12/23/08 (Dylan Caldwell)

________________________________ Message 1 _____________________________________
Time: 12:12:58 AM PST US
Subject: Re: Sailplane-List Digest: 0 Msgs - 12/23/08
Hi,
Anyone on this list? Anyone have a B4 or fly aerobatics?
sp; (And Get Some AWESOME FREE find you for -Matt Dralle, List e the es y - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS =========================

One site keeps you connected to all your email: AOL Mail, Gmail, and Yahoncid=emlcntaolcom00000025">Try it now.
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Sailplane-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Sailplane-List
pj.ladd(at)btinternet.com

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:04 am    Post subject: Sailplane-List Digest: 1 Msgs - 12/24/08 Reply with quote

Is this some sort of Christmas prersent? Posts on the list! Hurrah!

I started gliding more years ago than I like to think. OK I looked it up. 21st June 1964.

Fist flight in a Slingsby T21c. A BIG side by side barge of an aircraft. Then flew Slingsby T31. Soloed in a Grunau then flew at various times ,Ka7, T49,Krancich, Slingsby Swallow, Olympia 21b, Bijave (In France,) Bocian,, ASK 13,, Blanik, Skylark 3F, Capstan, Olympia 419 (Wild Goose in which Peter Scott won the aerobatic Champs.in the UK)Scheitzer 2-33 and 1-26 in Florida, ,K13. Pilatus, Jantar. This was my last glider and was rather nice. 19 metre span all fibreglass, retractable u/c adjustable trailing edges, water ballest. The works. That took me through until 1986 where I see from my log book that I flew a K10 and I cant remember what that was.
Apart from a bit of flying in motorgliders Scheibe Falke, Bergfalke, Grob ,I did little training and a few flights for sheer pleasure in Tiger moth, Harvard, Mustang, T3, Jet Provost.
I more or less quit glider flying in 1987.

Went from there into hang gliding and via a broken leg into microlights , or ultralights as you call them. which I still fly.

With my 80th birthday looming I suppose my flying is coming to a halt. Certainly if my wife gets her way, but there maybe a bit of flying still to be done.

There you are, more than you ever wanted to know from me

Cheers

Pat.

[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

TELEDYNMCS(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:04 am    Post subject: Sailplane-List Digest: 1 Msgs - 12/24/08 Reply with quote

In a message dated 12/25/2008 5:31:38 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, DrJSherm(at)aol.com writes:
Quote:
>>>>wish I had a motor glider! <<<<<

Howdy,

Yes, indeed! After running a glider tow operation from my strip for about 5 years (and losing money every year) I sold my Pawnee, club gliders and person glider and I purchased a used AMT 200S Ximango (#135) in March of 2007. Best move I've made in years! I've logged a little over 300 hours in it now, mostly engine off, including a half dozen 500K's and a couple of wave flights to over 12,000 msl. Not bad for SE Tennessee. 'Course, our lingering drought and the 150 miles of ridge we have here in the Sequatchie and Lookout Valleys helped a bunch, particularly in the summer of '07 when we had 10+ knot lift with 10,000-11,000' cloudbase every day for 4 months.

I don't sell them and in no way do I benefit from the sale of any Ximango, but if you haven't had a ride in a Ximango, and you are serious about wanting a motorglider, you owe it to yourself to seek out a test flight. My wife is also a pilot and that meant any motorglider I considered would have to be a two place to keep the peace. In my search for a suitable motorglider, I flew virtually every 2 place motorglider currently out there except the Pipistrel Taurus and a few of those TST contraptions. Most were either too big to be practical to operate from my 2200' turf strip, or they were just underpowered, 2 stroke accidents looking for a place to happen.

The Ximango, OTOH, is the best kept secret in two place motorgliders, IMHO. I had written it off after looking at the pictures of it, thinking it was just another touring airplane with long wings. However, when one came available near where I was going on a ski trip I decided to take a closer look. As soon as I saw it up close I was very, very impressed. So impressed, in fact, after I flew it I left a deposit and returned a couple of weeks later to complete the purchase. It's a decent touring machine, too. I flew mine from SW Colorado to SE Tennessee in just over 10 hours (1150 nm), not including an hour or so running the ridge at Magazine Mountain in Arkansas on the way back. I've also done a couple of fairly long powered cross country flights in it, i.e., >600 nm. It cruises under power at 115 kts at about 4 gph, with plenty of baggage room for two for a few days. It has the most comfortable seats of any airplane I've ever flown, too.

FWIW, I built and fly a Europa experimental and my partner and I do composite repair and refinish on sailplanes here in my shop. We pretty much eat, sleep and breathe composites. Everything from rigid carbon hang gliders to numerous ASW-27's and LS-8's to the new 18m JS-1 that just won the 18m Nationals this year has come through our shop. I can tell you from my experience that the Ximango is extremely well built and well thought out. Although not quite up to German standards in terms of fit and finish, it is very refined and very robust. Aeromot does a good job of supporting the fleet, too. It has honest 30+ to 1 performance with about a 180 fpm sink rate with two on board. It's the best compromise between a touring aircraft and a glider that I'm aware of and it doesn't have a laundry list of AD's like the Stemme. Probably the easiest to fly tail dragger I've ever flown, too. They are still in production and are available new. There are also a few used ones that come up for sale now and then. Ximangos built after 2003 are all urethane finishes, too. Check it out, you won't be sorry. It's so nice to be able to go fly a glider without having to drag out the tow plane!

Cheers!

John Lawton
Whitwell, TN (TN89)
Ximango #135

One site keeps you connected to all your email: AOL Mail, Gmacom40vanity&ncid=emlcntaolcom00000025">Try it now.
[quote][b]

rparigor(at)SUFFOLK.LIB.N

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:01 am    Post subject: Sailplane-List Digest: 1 Msgs - 12/24/08 Reply with quote

Hi John

Sounds like you are having just about too much fun with your Ximango! STOP
IT!!

Whats your take on touring plane with long wings >> Europa?

Ron Parigoris
Quote:

In a message dated 12/25/2008 5:31:38 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
DrJSherm(at)aol.com writes:

>>>>wish I had a motor glider! <<<<<

Howdy,

Yes, indeed! After running a glider tow operation from my strip for
about 5
years (and losing money every year) I sold my Pawnee, club gliders and
person glider and I purchased a used AMT 200S Ximango (#135) in March of
Best move I've made in years! I've logged a little over 300 hours in it
now,
mostly engine off, including a half dozen 500K's and a couple of wave
flights to
over 12,000 msl. Not bad for SE Tennessee. 'Course, our lingering drought
and the 150 miles of ridge we have here in the Sequatchie and Lookout
Valleys
helped a bunch, particularly in the summer of '07 when we had 10+ knot
lift
with 10,000-11,000' cloudbase every day for 4 months.

I don't sell them and in no way do I benefit from the sale of any
Ximango,
but if you haven't had a ride in a Ximango, and you are serious about
wanting
a motorglider, you owe it to yourself to seek out a test flight. My wife
is
also a pilot and that meant any motorglider I considered would have to be
a
two place to keep the peace. In my search for a suitable motorglider, I
flew
virtually every 2 place motorglider currently out there except the
Pipistrel
Taurus and a few of those TST contraptions. Most were either too big to
be
practical to operate from my 2200' turf strip, or they were just
underpowered, 2
stroke accidents looking for a place to happen.

The Ximango, OTOH, is the best kept secret in two place motorgliders,
IMHO.
I had written it off after looking at the pictures of it, thinking it was
just another touring airplane with long wings. However, when one came
available
near where I was going on a ski trip I decided to take a closer look. As
soon
as I saw it up close I was very, very impressed. So impressed, in fact,
after I flew it I left a deposit and returned a couple of weeks later to
complete
the purchase. It's a decent touring machine, too. I flew mine from SW
Colorado to SE Tennessee in just over 10 hours (1150 nm), not including
an hour or
so running the ridge at Magazine Mountain in Arkansas on the way back.
I've
also done a couple of fairly long powered cross country flights in it,
i.e.,
>600 nm. It cruises under power at 115 kts at about 4 gph, with plenty of
baggage room for two for a few days. It has the most comfortable seats of
any
airplane I've ever flown, too.

FWIW, I built and fly a Europa experimental and my partner and I do co
mposite repair and refinish on sailplanes here in my shop. We pretty much
eat,
sleep and breathe composites. Everything from rigid carbon hang gliders to
numerous ASW-27's and LS-8's to the new 18m JS-1 that just won the 18m
Nationals
this year has come through our shop. I can tell you from my experience
that the
Ximango is extremely well built and well thought out. Although not quite
up
to German standards in terms of fit and finish, it is very refined and
very
robust. Aeromot does a good job of supporting the fleet, too. It has
honest
30+ to 1 performance with about a 180 fpm sink rate with two on board.
It's the
best compromise between a touring aircraft and a glider that I'm aware of
and it doesn't have a laundry list of AD's like the Stemme. Probably the
easiest to fly tail dragger I've ever flown, too. They are still in
production and
are available new. There are also a few used ones that come up for sale
now
and then. Ximangos built after 2003 are all urethane finishes, too. Check
it
out, you won't be sorry. It's so nice to be able to go fly a glider
without
having to drag out the tow plane!

Cheers!

John Lawton
Whitwell, TN (TN89)
Ximango #135
**************One site keeps you connected to all your email: AOL Mail,
Gmail, and Yahoo Mail. Try it now.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Sailplane-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: