Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

engines

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dlm46007(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:59 pm    Post subject: engines Reply with quote

Just got another reason to be glad I bought the IO540 from Vans. Service Bulletin 659 arrived to day referring to the 50 pages of crankshafts that need to be replaced. New engines, overhauls, etc from about 1997 to present. The key is that there are only about 20 engine serials for the D4A5 on the list and mine wasn't there.

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
dlm46007(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject: engines Reply with quote

Correction that is SB 569...

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

rvbuilder(at)sausen.net

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject: engines Reply with quote

Not sure what the advantage of getting the engine from Van's is with this.  Care to elaborate?

Michael
do not archive

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of David McNeill
Sent: Friday, March 17, 2006 5:55 PM
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: engines

Just got another reason to be glad I bought the IO540 from Vans. Service Bulletin 659 arrived to day referring to the 50 pages of crankshafts that need to be replaced. New engines, overhauls, etc from about 1997 to present. The key is that there are only about 20 engine serials for the D4A5 on the list and mine wasn't there.

dlm46007(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject: engines Reply with quote

Primarily the D4A5 variant; There were 15 pages at 145 per page of IO540s but only 20 D4A5s. Also I would expect that if the new IO540 had a bad crank it would still be in warranty and could be shipped back to them for the mandatory Service Bulletin. Engines in the field which have the data plate on them must still comply within the three years; while truly experimentals (without a data plate) can do whatever they like. It will be an unknown if/until something happens to the engine.
The second reason is that no engineering work/mods are needed to make the kit work. On my Glastar they sold an engine that had not been installed in one of their airplanes. I bought a new O360A4M and then had to do the fiberglass work to reshape the cowl because the engine is 1/2" wide than the one they installed at the factory. Or if you observe Glastar cowls at the flyins, you can tell which have the particular engine installed. Either the cowl has been reshaped or there is a wart on the left side of the upper cowl where the #2 cylinder rocker cover rests and delivers its heat treatment

In short using the same engine variant as the prototype makes for an easier install; installing a new engine eliminates a few more of the variables to consider for first flight. Bells and whistles can be added later but with 260 HP lifting a gross weight of 2700 its a question whether they will be needed or desired.

Just my $.02

Do not archive  
[quote] ---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: