Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nose gear problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
speckter(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:19 am    Post subject: Nose gear problems Reply with quote

Quote:
I mounted the nose wheel in the fork and was not happy with the bearing situation.  It appears to me that the wheel is spinning between the bearing and the center rod not rotating the bearings as it appears to be designed.  Does anyone else have that problem.
In my thinking the outer sleves on each end should exert pressure inward to the bearing to hold it to the center shaft so that the rollers can indeed roll not slip between the inner race and the center rod.
This may not be very clear but if someone knows what my issue is and wants to call me feel free.
Gary Specketer
770-403-3450

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
10flyer(at)verizon.net

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:05 pm    Post subject: Nose gear problems Reply with quote

Gary, I had a similar problem with my nose gear. I kept getting a nose wheel shimmy on roll out. First I re-tightened the fork (as recommended by Vans), It loosens up after a while. I then noticed a lot of side play with the tire and bearings. It seemed as though I was getting the torque on the bolt but the sleeves were not compressing enough to tighten up against the bearings. Vans suggested shortening the axle a little bit so that the fork would squeeze the sleeves tighter against the bearing. After about ten landings, the shimmy was back. I took it apart to find the sleeves had been ground down to the shape of the bearings outer surface and every thing was rotating. After a lengthy discussion with Vans ( they found a similar problem on their first 10) they sent me two large diameter aluminum washers ( about 1/8 or more in thick) to put on the axle against the bearing to provide more surface area to push against the bearings. You have to cut down the steel sleeves by the thickness of the new washers. Haven't had a problem since!!   A few notes however ( for everyone ), apparently most RV's have some shimmy during rollout( mine included). I still have a little in the 35kt range, but not nearly as extreme as before. Secondly, not all 10's are having this problem for some reason. Van's is thinking about some sort of solution such as replacing the existing steel sleeves with thicker material that provides a better area to press against the bearings. I don't think at this point that all builders should expect new parts heading their way as some people are not having a problem. I would certainly call Bruce or Ken K. and mention your problem for the record though and ask about the spacers I got. Mark (40016) 45hrs.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

dlm46007(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject: Nose gear problems Reply with quote

Just a reference to the other nose wheel problem. The new Matco wheel provides about 1/2" clearance for the valve stem.
[quote] ---

speckter(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject: Nose gear problems Reply with quote

I called Van's today and outlined my problem.  They are aware of it but don't have a fix yet.  He wasn't sure when they might have one.  So, I devised my own.
I made two aluminum washers .030 one for each side of the spacers next to the fork.  Then I lubed up the bearing good and put a bead of JB Weld on the inboard end of the spacer and mated it against the bearing.  After cure I trimmed it back to just clear the seal and yet claim all the metal surface area possible.  Not it looks like it is working like it was designed.
Gary Specketer
[quote]
--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: