Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BP/Sunoco 93 octane

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Glasair-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Craymondw(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:21 am    Post subject: BP/Sunoco 93 octane Reply with quote

Has anyone tried using BP or Sunoco 93 octane auto gas in a Glasair using an IO 360 200hp lycoming engines? A retired Lockheed engineer that is now a Franklin Engine distributor and remanufacturer has been testing auto gas for the past several years on his 200hp Franklin, Continental and Lycoming engines. He places 100LL in one wing and 93 autogas in the other and uses 100LL for take offs and landings. He claims that at altitude the compression ratio falls below 8.5 to 1 and 100LL isn't needed. He reports that he retards his timming a few degrees and only notices slightly higher EGT temps. He also added that 100LL is nothing more than 93 octane. He reported that he personnally knows of Mooney owners that have been doing the same for well over ten years. He frequently travels to Oklahoma to meet with various FAA officials that are telling him that the EPA is cramming the end of 100 LL down their throats and that 93 octane auto gas with a little ether and blue dye will be the next generation fuel. When I inquired about damage to seals and fuel pumps, he replied that he didn't notice any problem. My question is about fiberglass fuel tanks and are there any Glasair's using 160 Hp engines using auto gas?
A Good Credit Score i6x1201267884/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fwww.freecreditreport.com%2Fpm%2Fdefault.aspx%3Fsc%3D668072%26hmpgID%3D62%26bcd%3DfebemailfooterNO62"> See yours in just 2 easy steps!
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Glasair-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Glasair-List
John Bolding

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:44 am    Post subject: BP/Sunoco 93 octane Reply with quote

Two part answer, built an early RV3 with a 160 hp 0-320, ran auto fuel for almost all of the 500 hrs I flew it, only difference I could tell was the plugs stayed cleaner with the auto fuel.

Built the tank in my Boston Whaler almost 40 yrs ago from cheap polyester resin and it hasn't sprung a leak yet. I would THINK the vinylester resin would be much better but I defer judgment on that one.

John Bolding Beach City TX
[quote] ---

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

robin02(at)mindspring.com

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:19 am    Post subject: BP/Sunoco 93 octane Reply with quote

My question is about fiberglass fuel tanks and are there any Glasair's using 160 Hp engines using auto gas?

I had a vapor lock in my 160HP TD. It was the only time I lost power due to this and it was attributed to 93 octane car gas. It was a very hot day and the flight was a quick turn around. The vapor lock happened at full throttle on take off about ten feet off the ground. I solved the problem with a top off of 100LL of about 15 gallons. Don't know if it was the cooler fuel added or the raise in octane but, the next takeoff attemot was uneventful. It has been 13-14 years and I haven't gone back to car gas and had no further problems. RObin [quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Glasair-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: