Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

0-290 and other Lycoming info

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Tailwind-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flamini2(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:38 pm    Post subject: 0-290 and other Lycoming info Reply with quote

All you ever wanted to know about Lycoming engines,
JC...not Injuns;

http://www.7ts0.com/manuals/lycoming/290/

And the GPU

http://www.7ts0.com/manuals/lycoming/290/Lycoming_0-290-GPU_Conv_0-290D.pdf

Dennis from Chicago
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Tailwind-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Tailwind-List
patreilly43(at)hotmail.co

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:32 am    Post subject: 0-290 and other Lycoming info Reply with quote

Dennis C I live in Rockford and have a W10 in need of TLC. I am currently rebuilding a Kitfox and plan on starting on the Tailwind this summer. The  Matronix website is extremely active. I have learned an immense amount of info from the website. I wish the Tailwind site was a more active website. I have been told the Yahoo Tailwind forum is good. But C I don't think the format is as user friendly as this Matronix site.

Pat Reilly
Mod 3 582 Rebuild
Rockford C IL

To: thorplist(at)yahoogroups.com; TailwindForum(at)yahoogroups.com; tailwind-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Tailwind-List: 0-290 and other Lycoming info
Date: Fri C 27 Feb 2009 01:35:38 -0600

All you ever wanted to know about Lycoming engines C
JC...not Injuns;

http://www.7ts0.com/manuals/lycoming/290/

And the GPU

http://www.7ts0.com/manuals/lycoming/290/Lycoming_0-290-GPU_Conv_0-290D.pdf

Dennis from Chicago
[quote]

t">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Tailwind-List
ronics.com
ww.matronics.com/contribution

[b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

flamini2(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:13 pm    Post subject: 0-290 and other Lycoming info Reply with quote

Pat,

The Tailwind forum at matronics was the only site for some time and has lots of archived info.
i think it was one of the Fresno guys that got us started on Yahoo due to ability to add photos to posts, shortly after most switched to Yahoo
Matt added the same thing to Matronics but almost everyone stayed on Yahoo.
i try to post to both since i have some friends that refuse to switch to Yahoo.

Tell me more about yourself and the Kitfox and Tailwind...photos?

Dennis

---

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:16 pm    Post subject: 0-290 and other Lycoming info Reply with quote

Dennis C I will send photos at a latter date. I saw the plane on Barnstormers a year ago in Alabama. It was built in Alabama in 1993 I believe. It was deregistered C dismanteled and sold for scrap on the record. But C the only dismanteling was the removale of the wings. A fellow bought it as part of a package with a couple of engines he wanted and put it on Barnstormers. I am rebuilding a Kitfox that will be up and flying in a couple of months. A Kitfox cruises at 85mph. I thought that is a great low and slow plane and thought an RV would make a great getup and go plane. Saw this W10 for about 1/4 of what an RV cost C liked the design and history of the Whittman and could justify getting it. The plane is actually in better shape than I had Hoped by the pictures in barn stormers. The fellow that had it listed C when I asked the condition said what it really needed was a wash job. He wasn't lying It looked damn good after I washed it. As a matter of fact one guy saw it a couple of days after it was delivered C came back a couple of months later after the wash job and asked me if I had repainted it. I will start working on it this summer. And hope to have it up summer of 2010. The plane was built with an 0-320 and latter converted to an 0-290 by the original builder. Are you located in Chicago?

Pat Reilly
Mod 3 582 Rebuild
Rockford C IL

To: tailwind-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: 0-290 and other Lycoming info
Date: Fri C 27 Feb 2009 17:11:07 -0600

.ExternalClass .EC_hmmessage P {padding-right:0px;padding-left:0px;padding-bottom:0px;padding-top:0px;} .ExternalClass BODY.EC_hmmessage {font-size:10pt;font-family:Verdana;} Pat C

The Tailwind forum at matronics was the only site for some time and has lots of archived info.
i think it was one of the Fresno guys that got us started on Yahoo due to ability to add photos to posts C shortly after most switched to Yahoo

Dennis

---

flamini2(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:42 pm    Post subject: 0-290 and other Lycoming info Reply with quote

Pat,
We are in the South Suburbs of Chicago about 30 miles South of MDW, Frankfort, IL.
i flew a W9 Tailwind for 12 years, 1000 hrs and raced it a little, it had an 0-360 with CS prop and did about 200 while racing.
The new W10's are a lot faster, in the 2006 Airventure we were low on fuel so throttled back and flew high but a W10 from CA with
0-320 flew low and fast into mostly headwinds and did 216mph!
See photos of Tailwind, N564DF that i sold in 2005 and last raced in 2006.Also current biplane project.
i am only sport pilot now and hope to be able to lift my leg high enough to get in the biplane.
66 years old and happy to even see 2009.
Dennis from Chicago
PS; i attended the RFD EAA flyins from 1963 on and flew a Cougar, N6484D built by Leonard Eaves into the first OSH flyin.

[quote] ---

ACRO_NICK_JAKE.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  167.65 KB
 Viewed:  12967 Time(s)

ACRO_NICK_JAKE.jpg

osh_race.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  49.03 KB

osh_race.jpg

P7230510.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  75.58 KB

P7230510.JPG

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:44 pm    Post subject: 0-290 and other Lycoming info Reply with quote

Dennis C WOW! I finally contacted a real Tailwinder on this site. I had given up hope. I didn't even know there was a W9. W8 and W10 was all I ever heard of. What biplane project have you got going. I have to have a biplane. I like the Skybolt or Marquart Charger. I am a little dismayed though. "66" ain't old. I am "65" and will get my license this spring. I had an ultralight 20 years ago for 3 years. Sold it C toyed with the idea of getting my license C but was raising a family and didn't really have the time. Two years ago we moved to Rockford C 1 mile west of runway 7 C found EAA Chp 22 and a hotbed of experimental aircraft aviation at Cottonwood airport here in Rockford. Streetrods are fun C motorcycles are crazy C airplanes... they are reserved for the insane. Can't wait to meet you and pick your brain on the Tailwind.

Pat Reilly
Mod 3 582 Rebuild
Rockford C IL

Date: Fri C 27 Feb 2009 18:39:45 -0600

.ExternalClass .EC_hmmessage P {padding-right:0px;padding-left:0px;padding-bottom:0px;padding-top:0px;} .ExternalClass BODY.EC_hmmessage {font-size:10pt;font-family:Verdana;} Pat C
We are in the South Suburbs of Chicago about 30 miles South of MDW C Frankfort C IL.
i flew a W9 Tailwind for 12 years C 1000 hrs and raced it a little C it had an 0-360 with CS prop and did about 200 while racing.
The new W10's are a lot faster C in the 2006 Airventure we were low on fuel so throttled back and flew high but a W10 from CA with
See photos of Tailwind C N564DF that i sold in 2005 and last raced in 2006.Also current biplane project.
i am only sport pilot now and hope to be able to lift my leg high enough to get in the biplane.
Dennis from Chicago
PS; i attended the RFD EAA flyins from 1963 on and flew a Cougar C N6484D built by Leonard Eaves into the first OSH flyin.

[quote] ---

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:45 pm    Post subject: 0-290 and other Lycoming info Reply with quote

Dennis C WOW! I finally contacted a real Tailwinder on this site. I had given up hope. I didn't even know there was a W9. W8 and W10 was all I ever heard of. What biplane project have you got going. I have to have a biplane. I like the Skybolt or Marquart Charger. I am a little dismayed though. "66" ain't old. I am "65" and will get my license this spring. I had an ultralight 20 years ago for 3 years. Sold it C toyed with the idea of getting my license C but was raising a family and didn't really have the time. Two years ago we moved to Rockford C 1 mile west of runway 7 C found EAA Chp 22 and a hotbed of experimental aircraft aviation at Cottonwood airport here in Rockford. Streetrods are fun C motorcycles are crazy C airplanes... they are reserved for the insane. Can't wait to meet you and pick your brain on the Tailwind.

Pat Reilly
Mod 3 582 Rebuild
Rockford C IL

Date: Fri C 27 Feb 2009 18:39:45 -0600

We are in the South Suburbs of Chicago about 30 miles South of MDW C Frankfort C IL.
i flew a W9 Tailwind for 12 years C 1000 hrs and raced it a little C it had an 0-360 with CS prop and did about 200 while racing.
The new W10's are a lot faster C in the 2006 Airventure we were low on fuel so throttled back and flew high but a W10 from CA with
See photos of Tailwind C N564DF that i sold in 2005 and last raced in 2006.Also current biplane project.
Dennis from Chicago
PS; i attended the RFD EAA flyins from 1963 on and flew a Cougar C N6484D built by Leonard Eaves into the first OSH flyin.

[quote] ---

pittsflyers1s(at)yahoo.co

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:47 pm    Post subject: 0-290 and other Lycoming info Reply with quote

Not quite correct Dennis. Actually the history of the Tailwind Forum (Yahoo) and Tailwind List (Matronics) is basically as follows:

Burt Rudolph first had the Tailwind e-mail list on his website back in the late 1990's. That is when I first joined the group. His list worked for a time, then he had troubles maintaining it and periodically it would go down. He got it going again for a short time, but at that time it was a lot of work to maintain a list.  His website was http://www.chlassociates.com/Aviation/tailwind.htm but it is no longer available and it hadn't been updated in years.

When Jerry Hey took over the Tailwind Times (late 1990s or 2000), he also set up the "Tailwind Forum" e-mail group. I don't remember how long he was able to manage it, I think it was about a year, perhaps even two, but then he also had problems maintaining it and protecting against spam. After it went down, I suggested to Jerry that perhaps we should start a Yahoo group, which a number of other aircraft groups had also done. Jerry asked me to set it up and so I did in August 2001--I followed Jerry's lead (with his blessing) and named it the "Tailwind Forum".

About perhaps a year or more later, Matronics was setting up its various e-mail groups, and was successful with the RV types among others. He expanded to include the "Tailwind-List" among others. Many liked this because the Matronics Lists didn't have advertisement, but for a long time it could not accommodate pictures. This was later modified and pictures and files were allowed, but the Matronics Tailwind List never became popular compared to the Tailwind Forum, though it has had its stalwart supporters. I think this was for a variety of reasons, the monthly admonitions about content on the forums, the annual fundraiser/plea for money, and the lack of flexibility and content that the Yahoo groups allow (these are my personal opinions mindya!). 

The Yahoo Tailwind Forum currently has 885 members worldwide, and a wealth of information on the Tailwind between the pictures, links and files on the forum site, not to mention the average of 400 to over 800 posts per month, which are archived and searchable. Yes it still has some advertisement, but it is fairly unobtrusive. It allows the owners and moderators to be changed, and the group can have input into these if they need to. For example, on another Yahoo group that I frequent, the Owner disappeared, and the group was getting a fair amount of spam because the membership was wide open to anyone. I worked with Yahoo, and we got two new moderators who now monitor the memberships, and who have put much more content on the site. It is now much better.

I am not trying to bash the Tailwind list--I have been a member of it since inception--and it is, and always has been, listed on the Tailwind forum as an alternate group. However, like many Matronics groups, it is not used very much. I know this is not the preference of those who like the Matronics group better, but it is the fact.

Dave Magaw
N168A
Sacramento, CA

Sent: Friday, February 27, 2009 3:11:07 PM

.hmmessage P { PADDING-RIGHT:0px;PADDING-LEFT:0px;PADDING-BOTTOM:0px;MARGIN:0px;PADDING-TOP:0px;} BODY.hmmessage { FONT-SIZE:10pt;FONT-FAMILY:Verdana;} Pat,

i think it was one of the Fresno guys that got us started on Yahoo due to ability to add photos to posts, shortly after most switched to Yahoo

Dennis

---

downing.j(at)sbcglobal.ne

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:39 am    Post subject: 0-290 and other Lycoming info Reply with quote

Pat, glad to see that you are getting motivated on the Tailwind, see you at Baraboo. Farmer John
[quote]

Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 17:11:07 -0600

.ExternalClass .EC_hmmessage P {padding-right:0px;padding-left:0px;padding-bottom:0px;padding-top:0px;} .ExternalClass BODY.EC_hmmessage {font-size:10pt;font-family:Verdana;} Pat,

Dennis

---

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:13 am    Post subject: 0-290 and other Lycoming info Reply with quote

Farmer John C I was in Baraboo last year. I drove in from a trip back from Door County. That was the 1st time That I met Jim Clement. I'll have to get there this year. Hope I have C Hell hope never gets the job done C I will have my Kitfox up and fly it to Baraboo. The Tailwind will be in process. One thing I like about the Kitfox site is the posters Post there location C model and engine. Farmer john from where with what model and engine?

Pat Reilly
Mod 3 582 Rebuild
W10 0-290 Rebuild
Rockford C IL

Date: Sat C 28 Feb 2009 08:42:10 -0500

.ExternalClass .EC_hmmessage P {padding-right:0px;padding-left:0px;padding-bottom:0px;padding-top:0px;} .ExternalClass BODY.EC_hmmessage {font-size:10pt;font-family:Verdana;} Pat C glad to see that you are getting motivated on the Tailwind C see you at Baraboo.  Farmer John
[quote]

Date: Fri C 27 Feb 2009 17:11:07 -0600

i think it was one of the Fresno guys that got us started on Yahoo due to ability to add photos to posts C shortly after most switched to Yahoo

Dennis

---

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:32 am    Post subject: 0-290 and other Lycoming info Reply with quote

Dave C thanks for the info. I am used to the Matronix format so I like it. I am a Hotmail subscriber not Yahoo. I started to sign up for Tailwind forum on Yahoo. I might have even completed signing up but found the format confusing after the simplisity of the Matronix site. I don't mind contributing to the website founder as I would never spend the kind of time it takes to put one of these together and feel  I he deserves it C no matter what the cost C I ain't no freeloader. I could not have rebuilt my Kitfox without the info of other members. I guess I will have to sit down and force myself to become familiar with the Yahoo website if I am going to use the internet for Tailwind info. I guess you ain't going to bring the mountain to me.

Pat Reilly
Mod 3 582 Rebuild
Rockford C IL

Date: Fri C 27 Feb 2009 19:45:34 -0800
To: tailwind-list(at)matronics.com; TailwindForum(at)yahoogroups.com

.ExternalClass DIV {;} Not quite correct Dennis.  Actually the history of the Tailwind Forum (Yahoo) and Tailwind List (Matronics) is basically as follows:

Burt Rudolph first had the Tailwind e-mail list on his website back in the late 1990's.  That is when I first joined the group.  His list worked for a time C then he had troubles maintaining it and periodically it would go down.  He got it going again for a short time C but at that time it was a lot of work to maintain a list.  His website was http://www.chlassociates.com/Aviation/tailwind.htm but it is no longer available and it hadn't been updated in years.

When Jerry Hey took over the Tailwind Times (late 1990s or 2000) C he also set up the "Tailwind Forum" e-mail group.  I don't remember how long he was able to manage it C I think it was about a year C perhaps even two C but then he also had problems maintaining it and protecting against spam.  After it went down C I suggested to Jerry that perhaps we should start a Yahoo group C which a number of other aircraft groups had also done.  Jerry asked me to set it up and so I did in August 2001--I followed Jerry's lead (with his blessing) and named it the "Tailwind Forum". 

About perhaps a year or more later C Matronics was setting up its various e-mail groups C and was successful with the RV types among others.  He expanded to include the "Tailwind-List" among others.  Many liked this because the Matronics Lists didn't have advertisement C but for a long time it could not accommodate pictures.  This was later modified and pictures and files were allowed C but the Matronics Tailwind List never became popular compared to the Tailwind Forum C though it has had its stalwart supporters.  I think this was for a variety of reasons C the monthly admonitions about content on the forums C the annual fundraiser/plea for money C and the lack of flexibility and content that the Yahoo groups allow (these are my personal opinions mindya!). 

The Yahoo Tailwind Forum currently has 885 members worldwide C and a wealth of information on the Tailwind between the pictures C links and files on the forum site C not to mention the average of 400 to over 800 posts per month C which are archived and searchable.  Yes it still has some advertisement C but it is fairly unobtrusive.  It allows the owners and moderators to be changed C and the group can have input into these if they need to.  For example C on another Yahoo group that I frequent C the Owner disappeared C and the group was getting a fair amount of spam because the membership was wide open to anyone.  I worked with Yahoo C and we got two new moderators who now monitor the memberships C and who have put much more content on the site.  It is now much better.

I am not trying to bash the Tailwind list--I have been a member of it since inception--and it is C and always has been C listed on the Tailwind forum as an alternate group.  However C like many Matronics groups C it is not used very much.  I know this is not the preference of those who like the Matronics group better C but it is the fact.

Dave Magaw
N168A
Sacramento C CA

From: "Flamini C Dennis C Fran" <flamini2(at)comcast.net>
Sent: Friday C February 27 C 2009 3:11:07 PM

Dennis

---

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:07 am    Post subject: 0-290 and other Lycoming info Reply with quote

If you need Yahoo help, let me or Dan Doolin (the other Tailwind forum moderator, who is very computer savvy) know. Basically all you need is a Yahoo ID and password, but you will have to use them to access many of the features of the Tailwind forum site.

Yes it is true that maintaining e-mail groups does take time and effort, and hardware costs, not to mention overhead, etc, and somehow that cost has to be paid. Google and Yahoo do it through advertising, Matronics through donations.

Good to see another tailwind progressing, definitely get you and your Kitfox to Baraboo if possible.

Dave

To: Tailwind Matronics <tailwind-list(at)matronics.com>
Sent: Saturday, February 28, 2009 7:31:56 AM
Subject: RE: 0-290 and other Lycoming info

.hmmessage P { margin:0px;padding:0px;} body.hmmessage { font-size:10pt;font-family:Verdana;} Dave, thanks for the info. I am used to the Matronix format so I like it. I am a Hotmail subscriber not Yahoo. I started to sign up for Tailwind forum on Yahoo. I might have even completed signing up but found the format confusing after the simplisity of the Matronix site. I don't mind contributing to the website founder as I would never spend the kind of time it takes to put one of these together and feel I he deserves it, no matter what the cost, I ain't no freeloader. I could not have rebuilt my Kitfox without the info of other members. I guess I will have to sit down and force myself to become familiar with the Yahoo website if I am going to use the internet for Tailwind info. I guess you ain't going to bring the mountain to me.

Pat Reilly
Mod 3 582 Rebuild
Rockford, IL

Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 19:45:34 -0800

.ExternalClass DIV {} Not quite correct Dennis. Actually the history of the Tailwind Forum (Yahoo) and Tailwind List (Matronics) is basically as follows:

Burt Rudolph first had the Tailwind e-mail list on his website back in the late 1990's. That is when I first joined the group. His list worked for a time, then he had troubles maintaining it and periodically it would go down. He got it going again for a short time, but at that time it was a lot of work to maintain a list. His website was http://www.chlassociates.com/Aviation/tailwind.htm but it is no longer available and it hadn't been updated in years.

When Jerry Hey took over the Tailwind Times (late 1990s or 2000), he also set up the "Tailwind Forum" e-mail group. I don't remember how long he was able to manage it, I think it was about a year, perhaps even two, but then he also had problems maintaining it and protecting against spam. After it went down, I suggested to Jerry that perhaps we should start a Yahoo group, which a number of other aircraft groups had also done. Jerry asked me to set it up and so I did in August 2001--I followed Jerry's lead (with his blessing) and named it the "Tailwind Forum".

About perhaps a year or more later, Matronics was setting up its various e-mail groups, and was successful with the RV types among others. He expanded to include the "Tailwind-List" among others. Many liked this because the Matronics Lists didn't have advertisement, but for a long time it could not accommodate pictures. This was later modified and pictures and files were allowed, but the Matronics Tailwind List never became popular compared to the Tailwind Forum, though it has had its stalwart supporters. I think this was for a variety of reasons, the monthly admonitions about content on the forums, the annual fundraiser/plea for money, and the lack of flexibility and content that the Yahoo groups allow (these are my personal opinions mindya!).

The Yahoo Tailwind Forum currently has 885 members worldwide, and a wealth of information on the Tailwind between the pictures, links and files on the forum site, not to mention the average of 400 to over 800 posts per month, which are archived and searchable. Yes it still has some advertisement, but it is fairly unobtrusive. It allows the owners and moderators to be changed, and the group can have input into these if they need to. For example, on another Yahoo group that I frequent, the Owner disappeared, and the group was getting a fair amount of spam because the membership was wide open to anyone. I worked with Yahoo, and we got two new moderators who now monitor the memberships, and who have put much more content on the site. It is now much better.

I am not trying to bash the Tailwind list--I have been a member of it since inception--and it is, and always has been, listed on the Tailwind forum as an alternate group. However, like many Matronics groups, it is not used very much. I know this is not the preference of those who like the Matronics group better, but it is the fact.

Dave Magaw
N168A
Sacramento, CA

.ExternalClass .EC_hmmessage P {padding-right:0px;padding-left:0px;padding-bottom:0px;padding-top:0px;} .ExternalClass BODY.EC_hmmessage {font-size:10pt;font-family:Verdana;} Pat,

Dennis

---

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:46 am    Post subject: 0-290 and other Lycoming info Reply with quote

Dave C Your's C and a few other's messages don't read down the page without moving the screen right to left. I would imagine that some how or other you are in landscape format. Is that correct C and C if so why? It is difficult to read a message moving the screen back and forth. I have seen this before and it just dawned on me it looks like the landscape format.

Pat Reilly
Mod 3 582 Rebuild
Rockford C IL

Date: Sat C 28 Feb 2009 09:05:55 -0800

.ExternalClass DIV {;} If you need Yahoo help C let me or Dan Doolin (the other Tailwind forum moderator C who is very computer savvy) know.  Basically all you need is a Yahoo ID and password C but you will have to use them to access many of the features of the Tailwind forum site. 

Yes it is true that maintaining e-mail groups does take time and effort C and hardware costs C not to mention overhead C etc C and somehow that cost has to be paid.  Google and Yahoo do it through advertising C Matronics through donations. 

Good to see another tailwind progressing C definitely get you and your Kitfox to Baraboo if possible.

Dave

Sent: Saturday C February 28 C 2009 7:31:56 AM

.ExternalClass .EC_hmmessage P {padding:0px;} .ExternalClass body.EC_hmmessage {font-size:10pt;font-family:Verdana;} Dave C thanks for the info. I am used to the Matronix format so I like it. I am a Hotmail subscriber not Yahoo. I started to sign up for Tailwind forum on Yahoo. I might have even completed signing up but found the format confusing after the simplisity of the Matronix site. I don't mind contributing to the website founder as I would never spend the kind of time it takes to put one of these together and feel  I he deserves it C no matter what the cost C I ain't no freeloader. I could not have rebuilt my Kitfox without the info of other members. I guess I will have to sit down and force myself to become familiar with the Yahoo website if I am going to use the internet for Tailwind info. I guess you ain't going to bring the mountain to me.

Pat Reilly
Mod 3 582 Rebuild
Rockford C IL

Date: Fri C 27 Feb 2009 19:45:34 -0800

.ExternalClass DIV {;} Not quite correct Dennis.  Actually the history of the Tailwind Forum (Yahoo) and Tailwind List (Matronics) is basically as follows:

Burt Rudolph first had the Tailwind e-mail list on his website back in the late 1990's.  That is when I first joined the group.  His list worked for a time C then he had troubles maintaining it and periodically it would go down.  He got it going again for a short time C but at that time it was a lot of work to maintain a list.  His website was http://www.chlassociates.com/Aviation/tailwind.htm but it is no longer available and it hadn't been updated in years.

When Jerry Hey took over the Tailwind Times (late 1990s or 2000) C he also set up the "Tailwind Forum" e-mail group.  I don't remember how long he was able to manage it C I think it was about a year C perhaps even two C but then he also had problems maintaining it and protecting against spam.  After it went down C I suggested to Jerry that perhaps we should start a Yahoo group C which a number of other aircraft groups had also done.  Jerry asked me to set it up and so I did in August 2001--I followed Jerry's lead (with his blessing) and named it the "Tailwind Forum". 

About perhaps a year or more later C Matronics was setting up its various e-mail groups C and was successful with the RV types among others.  He expanded to include the "Tailwind-List" among others.  Many liked this because the Matronics Lists didn't have advertisement C but for a long time it could not accommodate pictures.  This was later modified and pictures and files were allowed C but the Matronics Tailwind List never became popular compared to the Tailwind Forum C though it has had its stalwart supporters.  I think this was for a variety of reasons C the monthly admonitions about content on the forums C the annual fundraiser/plea for money C and the lack of flexibility and content that the Yahoo groups allow (these are my personal opinions mindya!). 

The Yahoo Tailwind Forum currently has 885 members worldwide C and a wealth of information on the Tailwind between the pictures C links and files on the forum site C not to mention the average of 400 to over 800 posts per month C which are archived and searchable.  Yes it still has some advertisement C but it is fairly unobtrusive.  It allows the owners and moderators to be changed C and the group can have input into these if they need to.  For example C on another Yahoo group that I frequent C the Owner disappeared C and the group was getting a fair amount of spam because the membership was wide open to anyone.  I worked with Yahoo C and we got two new moderators who now monitor the memberships C and who have put much more content on the site.  It is now much better.

I am not trying to bash the Tailwind list--I have been a member of it since inception--and it is C and always has been C listed on the Tailwind forum as an alternate group.  However C like many Matronics groups C it is not used very much.  I know this is not the preference of those who like the Matronics group better C but it is the fact.

Dave Magaw
N168A
Sacramento C CA

From: "Flamini C Dennis C Fran" <flamini2(at)comcast.net>
Sent: Friday C February 27 C 2009 3:11:07 PM

Dennis

---

planecrazzzy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:42 am    Post subject: 0-290 and other Lycoming info Reply with quote

And there's always three of the same message....

Somebody has it on "Full Auto".....
        Gotta Fly...
Buttercup - STOL - Aircraft
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Buttercup-STOL/

Firestar I&II - STOL - Aircraft
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Kolb_Firestar/

My Web Site:
http://www.geocities.com/planecrazzzy/Planecrazzzy.html

Sometimes you just have to take the leap and build your wings on the way down...

--- On Sat, 2/28/09, patrick reilly <patreilly43(at)hotmail.com> wrote:
[quote]
To: "Tailwind Matronics" <tailwind-list(at)matronics.com>
Date: Saturday, February 28, 2009, 11:45 AM

#yiv680254161 .hmmessage P { margin:0px;padding:0px;} #yiv680254161 { font-size:10pt;font-family:Verdana;} Dave, Your's, and a few other's messages don't read down the page without moving the screen right to left. I would imagine that some how or other you are in landscape format. Is that correct, and, if so why? It is difficult to read a message moving the screen back and forth. I have seen this before and it just dawned on me it looks like the landscape format.

Pat Reilly
Mod 3 582 Rebuild
Rockford, IL

Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 09:05:55 -0800

#yiv680254161 .ExternalClass DIV {} If you need Yahoo help, let me or Dan Doolin (the other Tailwind forum moderator, who is very computer savvy) know. Basically all you need is a Yahoo ID and password, but you will have to use them to access many of the features of the Tailwind forum site.

Yes it is true that maintaining e-mail groups does take time and effort, and hardware costs, not to mention overhead, etc, and somehow that cost has to be paid. Google and Yahoo do it through advertising, Matronics through donations.

Good to see another tailwind progressing, definitely get you and your Kitfox to Baraboo if possible.

Dave

Subject: RE: Tailwind-List: 0-290 and other Lycoming info

#yiv680254161 .ExternalClass .EC_hmmessage P {padding:0px;} #yiv680254161 .ExternalClass body.EC_hmmessage {font-size:10pt;font-family:Verdana;} Dave, thanks for the info. I am used to the Matronix format so I like it. I am a Hotmail subscriber not Yahoo. I started to sign up for Tailwind forum on Yahoo. I might have even completed signing up but found the format confusing after the simplisity of the Matronix site. I don't mind contributing to the website founder as I would never spend the kind of time it takes to put one of these together and feel I he deserves it, no matter what the cost, I ain't no freeloader. I could not have rebuilt my Kitfox without the info of other members. I guess I will have to sit down and force myself to become familiar with the Yahoo website if I am going to use the internet for Tailwind info. I guess you ain't going to bring the mountain to me.

Pat Reilly
Mod 3 582 Rebuild
Rockford, IL

#yiv680254161 .ExternalClass DIV {} Not quite correct Dennis. Actually the history of the Tailwind Forum (Yahoo) and Tailwind List (Matronics) is basically as follows:

Burt Rudolph first had the Tailwind e-mail list on his website back in the late 1990's. That is when I first joined the group. His list worked for a time, then he had troubles maintaining it and periodically it would go down. He got it going again for a short time, but at that time it was a lot of work to maintain a list. His website was http://www.chlassociates.com/Aviation/tailwind.htm but it is no longer available and it hadn't been updated in years.

When Jerry Hey took over the Tailwind Times (late 1990s or 2000), he also set up the "Tailwind Forum" e-mail group. I don't remember how long he was able to manage it, I think it was about a year, perhaps even two, but then he also had problems maintaining it and protecting against spam.  After it went down, I suggested to Jerry that perhaps we should start a Yahoo group, which a number of other aircraft groups had also done.  Jerry asked me to set it up and so I did in August 2001--I followed Jerry's lead (with his blessing) and named it the "Tailwind Forum".

About perhaps a year or more later, Matronics was setting up its various e-mail groups, and was successful with the RV types among others.  He expanded to include the "Tailwind-List" among others. Many liked this because the Matronics Lists didn't have advertisement, but for a long time it could not accommodate pictures. This was later modified and pictures and files were allowed, but the Matronics Tailwind List never became popular compared to the Tailwind Forum, though it has had its stalwart supporters. I think this was for a variety of reasons, the monthly admonitions about content on the forums, the annual fundraiser/plea for money, and the lack of flexibility and content that the Yahoo groups allow (these are my personal opinions mindya!).

The Yahoo Tailwind Forum currently has 885 members worldwide, and a wealth of information on the Tailwind between the pictures, links and files on the forum site, not to mention the average of 400 to over 800 posts per month, which are archived and searchable. Yes it still has some advertisement, but it is fairly unobtrusive. It allows the owners and moderators to be changed, and the group can have input into these if they need to. For example, on another Yahoo group that I frequent, the Owner disappeared, and the group was getting a fair amount of spam because the membership was wide open to anyone. I worked with Yahoo, and we got two new moderators who now monitor the memberships, and who have put much more content on the site. It is now much better.

Dave Magaw
N168A
Sacramento, CA

#yiv680254161 .ExternalClass .EC_hmmessage P {padding-right:0px;padding-left:0px;padding-bottom:0px;padding-top:0px;} #yiv680254161 .ExternalClass BODY.EC_hmmessage {font-size:10pt;font-family:Verdana;} Pat,

Dennis

---

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:24 pm    Post subject: 0-290 and other Lycoming info Reply with quote

You got me Pat. It comes out fine on my screen. I get some weird characters when I view the messages on my tiny Blackberry screen, but when on the home or work computer they look are fine.

Dave M

Sent: Saturday, February 28, 2009 9:45:03 AM

.hmmessage P { margin:0px;padding:0px;} body.hmmessage { font-size:10pt;font-family:Verdana;} Dave, Your's, and a few other's messages don't read down the page without moving the screen right to left. I would imagine that some how or other you are in landscape format. Is that correct, and, if so why? It is difficult to read a message moving the screen back and forth. I have seen this before and it just dawned on me it looks like the landscape format.

Pat Reilly
Mod 3 582 Rebuild
Rockford, IL

Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 09:05:55 -0800

.ExternalClass DIV {} If you need Yahoo help, let me or Dan Doolin (the other Tailwind forum moderator, who is very computer savvy) know. Basically all you need is a Yahoo ID and password, but you will have to use them to access many of the features of the Tailwind forum site.

Dave

Subject: RE: Tailwind-List: 0-290 and other Lycoming info

.ExternalClass .EC_hmmessage P {padding:0px;} .ExternalClass body.EC_hmmessage {font-size:10pt;font-family:Verdana;} Dave, thanks for the info. I am used to the Matronix format so I like it. I am a Hotmail subscriber not Yahoo. I started to sign up for Tailwind forum on Yahoo. I might have even completed signing up but found the format confusing after the simplisity of the Matronix site. I don't mind contributing to the website founder as I would never spend the kind of time it takes to put one of these together and feel I he deserves it, no matter what the cost, I ain't no freeloader. I could not have rebuilt my Kitfox without the info of other members. I guess I will have to sit down and force myself to become familiar with the Yahoo website if I am going to use the internet for Tailwind info. I guess you ain't going to bring the mountain to me.

Pat Reilly
Mod 3 582 Rebuild
Rockford, IL

.ExternalClass DIV {} Not quite correct Dennis. Actually the history of the Tailwind Forum (Yahoo) and Tailwind List (Matronics) is basically as follows:

Burt Rudolph first had the Tailwind e-mail list on his website back in the late 1990's. That is when I first joined the group. His list worked for a time, then he had troubles maintaining it and periodically it would go down. He got it going again for a short time, but at that time it was a lot of work to maintain a list. His website was http://www.chlassociates.com/Aviation/tailwind.htm but it is no longer available and it hadn't been updated in years.

When Jerry Hey took over the Tailwind Times (late 1990s or 2000), he also set up the "Tailwind Forum" e-mail group.  I don't remember how long he was able to manage it, I think it was about a year, perhaps even two, but then he also had problems maintaining it and protecting against spam. After it went down, I suggested to Jerry that perhaps we should start a Yahoo group, which a number of other aircraft groups had also done. Jerry asked me to set it up and so I did in August 2001--I followed Jerry's lead (with his blessing) and named it the "Tailwind Forum".

The Yahoo Tailwind Forum currently has 885 members worldwide, and a wealth of information on the Tailwind between the pictures, links and files on the forum site, not to mention the average of 400 to over 800 posts per month, which are archived and searchable. Yes it still has some advertisement, but it is fairly unobtrusive. It allows the owners and moderators to be changed, and the group can have input into these if they need to. For example, on another Yahoo group that I frequent, the Owner disappeared, and the group was getting a fair amount of spam because the membership was wide open to anyone. I worked with Yahoo, and we got two new moderators who now monitor the memberships, and who have put much more content on the site. It is now much better.

Dave Magaw
N168A
Sacramento, CA

Dennis

---

dan42101(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:17 pm    Post subject: 0-290 and other Lycoming info Reply with quote

Pat,
I am guessing it has to do with someone replying to a message where the sender was subscribed to the daily digest.

I don't know how this one will appear, but I have deleted all but one sentence from the string of replies... also I am replying from "Yahoo"...

- DjD

--- On Sat, 2/28/09, patrick reilly <patreilly43(at)hotmail.com> wrote:

Quote:

Date: Saturday, February 28, 2009, 11:45 AM

#yiv2039887351 .hmmessage P { margin:0px;padding:0px;} #yiv2039887351 { font-size:10pt;font-family:Verdana;} Dave, Your's, and a few other's messages don't read
down the page without moving the screen right to left.

[quote][b]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:25 pm    Post subject: 0-290 and other Lycoming info Reply with quote

Dave C This one is normal. It is not in landscape. I can read the message all the way accross without moving the page.

do not archive
Pat Reilly
Mod 3 582 Rebuild
Rockford C IL

Date: Tue C 3 Mar 2009 12:15:59 -0800

Pat C
I am guessing it has to do with someone replying to a message where the sender was subscribed to the daily digest.

I don't know how this one will appear C but I have deleted all but one sentence from the string of replies... also I am replying from "Yahoo"...

- DjD

--- On Sat C 2/28/09 C patrick reilly <patreilly43(at)hotmail.com> wrote:

Quote:

Date: Saturday C February 28 C 2009 C 11:45 AM

.ExternalClass #EC_yiv2039887351 .EC_hmmessage P {padding:0px;} .ExternalClass #EC_yiv2039887351 {font-size:10pt;font-family:Verdana;} Dave C Your's C and a few other's messages don't read
down the page without moving the screen right to left.

[quote]

t">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Tailwind-List
ronics.com
ww.matronics.com/contribution

[b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Tailwind-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: