Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GRT AHRS/Magnetometer Location

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ron.mcgann(at)baesystems.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: GRT AHRS/Magnetometer Location Reply with quote

G'day all,
There was a brief thread 6 or so months ago about where to locate the GRT AHRS and Magnetometer.  I get the feeling that a few builders (myself included) are going with the GRT EFIS 1.  Have you guys given any further thought to AHRS and magnetometer location?  How many are locating the magnetometer in the wing?  Are there any pros/cons about locating the AHRS/magnetometer together in the aft fuse?  Does the AHRS need to be in proximity to the displays? How do you ensure only 0.5 deg variation in orientation of the AHRS and magnetometer?
As always, all feedback welcome.
cheers,
Ron
about to attach tailcone

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
dlm46007(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject: GRT AHRS/Magnetometer Location Reply with quote

I went with the Chelton which has the magnetometer integral to the AHRS; However my suggestion is a platform in the rear and mount it next to the AHRS. It makes alignment on/parallel to the axis easy.
[quote] ---

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

PC250030.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  827.67 KB
 Viewed:  400 Time(s)

PC250030.JPG

coop85(at)bellsouth.net

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject: GRT AHRS/Magnetometer Location Reply with quote

Ron,
    You’ll have to take this with a grain of salt as so far I have only powered my GRT EFIS up enough to ooh and ahh.  It seems like the wingtip is a pretty common place for the magnetometer and theoretically would have the minimum interference.  My only concern about that is the strobe light that would be within a couple feet surging away.  As for the .5 degrees of variation, I’m having a hard time believing the significance.  It doesn’t seem to really matter which way I point the magnetometer and moving it around hasn’t caused the EFIS heading to change any, only moving the AHRS changes the heading.  Like I said up front, these are simple observations so far, but I hope to being going final with the installation soon myself so look forward to other inputs.

Marcus

--

acs(at)acspropeller.com.a

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:12 pm    Post subject: GRT AHRS/Magnetometer Location Reply with quote

Hi Ron,
Info from GRT
  •  AHRS/Air Data Computer. The AHRS/Air Data Computer is the sensor package which electronically measures attitude and airspeed/altitude/vertical speed. It is a separate unit, and not built into the display unit.  Its overall dimensions are 6" long (including the mounting flange), 4" wide, and 3.375" high. It is mounted with 6" long dimension in the direction of flight. The pitot and static connections,  and a single d-sub connection for power and serial data connect to the rear side side of the unit (the side which faces the rear of the airplane.) The AHRS/Air Data Computer should be mounted in the cabin, and not in a location subject to condensation, nor in a location in which cabin heat blows directly onto it. It must be rigidly mounted. Weight is less than 1.75 lbs.
  • Magnetometer:  Ideally mounted near the wing tip, typically inside the wing,  more than 12" from any electrical power leads, motors, or moving mechanisms that include ferrous metal. Its dimensions are 5.125" long (including the mounting flanges), 2.75" wide, 1.125" high. The long dimension is mounted in the direction of flight. A single 9-pin d-sub connector is used for all electrical connections. Weight is 0.25 lbs “

Also if you need further info contact Todd Stehouwer [todds(at)grtavionics.com]

John 40315 Fuse

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of McGANN, Ron
Sent: Wednesday, 22 March 2006 12:14 PM
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: GRT AHRS/Magnetometer Location

G'day all,
There was a brief thread 6 or so months ago about where to locate the GRT AHRS and Magnetometer.  I get the feeling that a few builders (myself included) are going with the GRT EFIS 1.  Have you guys given any further thought to AHRS and magnetometer location?  How many are locating the magnetometer in the wing?  Are there any pros/cons about locating the AHRS/magnetometer together in the aft fuse?  Does the AHRS need to be in proximity to the displays? How do you ensure only 0.5 deg variation in orientation of the AHRS and magnetometer?
cheers,
Ron
about to attach tailcone

flysrv10(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:12 am    Post subject: GRT AHRS/Magnetometer Location Reply with quote

Mine is located at the wing tip. I could not fit any more wires to
the aft fuselage so I decided to install it in the wing tip. The
AHARS is installed in the forward fuselage and leveled with the canopy
rail. That way, I will level the magnometer with the canopy rail. I
do not have any strobes in the wing tip soI am not sure how it might
effect the magnometer. Talk to Todd ot Geff at GRT.
On 3/21/06, McGANN, Ron <ron.mcgann(at)baesystems.com> wrote:
Quote:

G'day all,

There was a brief thread 6 or so months ago about where to locate the GRT
AHRS and Magnetometer. I get the feeling that a few builders (myself
included) are going with the GRT EFIS 1. Have you guys given any further
thought to AHRS and magnetometer location? How many are locating the
magnetometer in the wing? Are there any pros/cons about locating the
AHRS/magnetometer together in the aft fuse? Does the AHRS need to be in
proximity to the displays? How do you ensure only 0.5 deg variation in
orientation of the AHRS and magnetometer?

cheers,
Ron
about to attach tailcone

dav1111(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:35 am    Post subject: GRT AHRS/Magnetometer Location Reply with quote

For what it is worth, as I have not yet flown, I mounted duel AHRS and duel Magnetometers side by side on a shelf I built behind the baggage compartment.   The shelf is anchored to the upper side longeron's and I nutplated the shelf to the cross members so I could remove the entire shelf with the AHRS and Magnetometers in place.  Since the wiring comes up from underneath the baggage compartment and the shelf is only 14" wide sitting in the middle of the cross members, it is easy to hook up the AHRS and Magnetometers before screwing the plate onto the cross members.  I put the nutplates in so that I could set the shelf on the cross members and then screw the shelf on from underneath.

Russ Daves
N710RV (Reserved)
Hopefully flying to OSH2006
[quote] ---

Dick Sipp

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:11 am    Post subject: GRT AHRS/Magnetometer Location Reply with quote

David & list,

It is my understanding that the new Pinpoint GADAHRS that will replace the Crossbow  AHRS in the Chelton system is a modular design with the magnetometer being a separate unit.  Your suggestion for mounting remains a good one in my opinion.

Dick Sipp
[quote] ---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: