Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

020 empenage skins

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV4-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SSampson.SLN21(at)london.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:06 am    Post subject: 020 empenage skins Reply with quote

Rob / others - this was a really useful email in terms of what you would build if you were doing it over. Today I got to thinking what would you do differently. (For instance do any aspects of the U/C become loose over time and you wished you had used taper bolts in the first place?) Just trying to make sure I get it as near to right first time as possible.

Thanks, Steve.

---

- The Matronics RV4-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV4-List
smokyray(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:59 am    Post subject: 020 empenage skins Reply with quote

Hi Steve,
Haven't had any issues with the u/c bolts so far. I replaced all my control surface hardware at 1000 hours. Showed very little wear but I lubricate them regularly with LPS 2. (sold in several places including Acft Spruce). The one thing I do have is cracks in the lower rudder skins between the rivets, none so far on the elevator. Rather than make a new rudder out of .020, I stopdrilled the cracks and used HySol and a round .016 patch clamped on overnight over the area. Once the HySol cured, it looks bulletproof. I can always make a rudder later, too busy flying it right now...Van's sells .020 skins for the RV4 control surfaces pre-bent...
Someday when Van's has forgotten the RV4 completely and all he sells is (trainers) 7A and 9A and 10's, (which is getting close by looking at completions), I may try to buy the rights to the RV4 and make a pre-drilled and quickbuild kit...just thinking out loud...
Good Luck!

RR

Steve Sampson <SSampson.SLN21(at)london.edu> wrote:

Rob / others - this was a really useful email in terms of what you would build if you were doing it over. Today I got to thinking what would you do differently. (For instance do any aspects of the U/C become loose over time and you wished you had used taper bolts in the first place?) Just trying to make sure I get it as near to right first time as possible.

Thanks, Steve.

---

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

SSampson.SLN21(at)london.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:02 am    Post subject: 020 empenage skins Reply with quote

Thanks Rob. I'll just do what the book says then. I went the 020 skins as
you advised although I have the standard forward fuse skins. I am waiting
for the XP-320 to be announced - not long now - and will put a 2 blade MT
on. It sounds as though the way the -4 bolts together is pretty well
debugged. The nosedragger -7 & 9 that is certainlty not the case. Lots of
problems with the nosewheel - both the bolting together and the design. On
soft ground its an accident waiting to happen. Boring to fly though even if
quick.

My mail was prompted by the Rocket construction notes where I saw all sorts
of assembly issues causing a problem in later life (the aeroplanes) and
thought I should enquire at this stage. I guess it is lighter and therefore
less hard on itself.

One thing which I find ugly on the -4 is the way the shoulder PAX seat belts
attach to the upper skin. The -9 and I presume 6 and 8 approach seems
better. But I am going the standard route.

A couple of questions. Do you think it is acceptable to put a little door in
the foot step F-428 to keep small loose articles in? Is this sometimes done?
Also, what is your thought about putting the PAX 5th harness point around
the flap drive. There was a picture of that on VAF last week.

Cheers, Steve.
---

splitess(at)suscom-maine.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:47 pm    Post subject: 020 empenage skins Reply with quote

Anyone responding to that fuel tank pick-uptube/b-nut safety wiring bulletin
on Van's website? I looked at it real hard and talked to my local A&P. He
though it was nuts. There are B-nuts all over the AC that never seem to go
bad. Plus you'll potentially do more damage to the tank lid tyring to get
the sealer and gasket off to retrofit. Try as you might to clean it up
you'll get little flecks of sealer floating in your fuel for years.
Steve Schlieper
Topsham, Maine
N16FB at IWI
---

bipetype(at)hotmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:47 am    Post subject: 020 empenage skins Reply with quote

< Someday when Van's has forgotten the RV4 completely and all he sells is (trainers) 7A and 9A and 10's, (which is getting close by <looking at completions), I may try to buy the rights to the RV4 and make a pre-drilled and quickbuild kit...just thinking out loud...
< Good Luck!
<
< RR

Where do I send my deposit?

Tim

smokyray(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:21 pm    Post subject: 020 empenage skins Reply with quote

Steve, I too thought the Van's fuel tank AD was a CYA forage into the ridiculous. No I didn't cut into my fuel tank and I know for a fact I don't plan to...
Hmmmmm, reminds me of the inspection AD they published right after the RV8 demonstrator had a wing fall off...

RR

Steve Schlieper <splitess(at)suscom-maine.net> wrote:

Steve Schlieper
Topsham, Maine
N16FB at IWI
---

smokyray(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:24 pm    Post subject: 020 empenage skins Reply with quote

You da man Tim..I'll hold you to that when I build the first kit...

RR

Tim <bipetype(at)hotmail.com> wrote:

< Someday when Van's has forgotten the RV4 completely and all he sells is (trainers) 7A and 9A and 10's, (which is getting close by < Good Luck!
<
< RR

Tim

---------------------------------

shaun-s(at)sbcglobal.net

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject: 020 empenage skins Reply with quote

take me off your list

rob ray <smokyray(at)yahoo.com> wrote:

You da man Tim..I'll hold you to that when I build the first kit...

RR

Tim wrote:

< Someday when Van's has forgotten the RV4 completely and all he sells is (trainers) 7A and 9A and 10's, (which is getting close by < Good Luck!
<
< RR

Tim

---------------------------------

shaun-s(at)sbcglobal.net

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject: 020 empenage skins Reply with quote

take me off your list

rob ray <smokyray(at)yahoo.com> wrote:

Steve, I too thought the Van's fuel tank AD was a CYA forage into the ridiculous. No I didn't cut into my fuel tank and I know for a fact I don't plan to...
Hmmmmm, reminds me of the inspection AD they published right after the RV8 demonstrator had a wing fall off...

RR

Steve Schlieper wrote:

Steve Schlieper
Topsham, Maine
N16FB at IWI
---

sather(at)CHARTER.NET

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:14 am    Post subject: 020 empenage skins Reply with quote

Let me know if that happens. Would be really interested in a quick build of
one of the sexiest planes ever the RV-4.

AnBo
---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV4-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: