Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fuel gauge probe

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Allegro-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
parahawk

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 2:18 pm    Post subject: Fuel gauge probe Reply with quote

My fuel gauge acts weird when tank is 3/4 full. It jumps all over the place. when full or less than 3/4 it's OK.
Could not find a ground problem so I suspect the fuel probe in the tank being the culprit.

However I can't find it. I expected it somewhere under the seat but only found the 2 fuel lines.

Can anybody help me to steer me in right direction where the probe sits and if it's easy to remove ( If anybody has done that before ). So I don't have to tear out everything.

I appreciate your help.

Thanks
Al

- The Matronics Allegro-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Allegro-List

jlhazen(at)copper.net

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 2:57 pm    Post subject: Fuel gauge probe Reply with quote

I would never trust any fuel gage unless it read empty. My fuel gage does the same thing. If its running out the filler, it's full. Time x 4-1/2 gph is the only thing I trust

--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

aerosiam

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel gauge probe Reply with quote

The fuel sender is on the top of the tank under the console and is easy to access.
My guage reads full at 11 gallons but seems to read reasonable accurately between 0 and 11gall.

Having said that, it lags when i am filling the wing tanks. if I switch off and on again, it will read about 1 gallon less.

I don't think any of us should trust guages. It is easy to make a short light-coloured wooden stick and dip it in the tank to check the contents.

Drain the tank, add 5 galls and make a notch in the stick at 5 gallon intervals. It takes a little practice to feel the bottom of the tank because it slopes but as long as you are consistent with the angle you insert the stick, you will get accurate results.

When filling the tank, if you look inside at the top center of the tank, you will see a round white nylon bushing in the middle of the tank (part of the sender mount). When the fuel touches the bottom of this bushing, it is about full. A maglite is ideal to shine a point of light while keeping the flashlight well away from the tank.

Paul

jlhazen(at)copper.net

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 7:04 am    Post subject: Fuel gauge probe Reply with quote

In order to insure a full fuel load, I have a wedge that I put under the left main wheel. The wedge is made out of high density foam and about 2" high It's easy to roll the A/C on and the wheel makes a slight indent in the foam to stay in place. I do a lot of cross country flying (48 states, 115 different airports) and fuel is a major consideration. I also check fuel burn with flight timer every stop.

--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Allegro-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: