Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

100LL

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Glasair-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Craymondw(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:13 am    Post subject: 100LL Reply with quote

I read in an AOPA article that stated that unless an aircraft engine isn't turbo charged or has high compression pistons, the engine doesn't need to use high octane 100LL fuel. It went on to say that the only reason 100LL has a high octane is for those mentioned turbo charged or high compression engines. Does this mean that 200HP and 300 HP engines can use auto gas. I know a Franklin engine dealer that has been using auto gas in his 200HP engines for years. He also informed me about a Moony Club that uses auto fuel in all of their aircraft. He recently returned from a conference that involved A/C fuel providers and related to me how in the near future the only fuel available will be unleaded leaded car gas with a few extra additives for altitudes. Does this mean that all along aviators using non turbo engines have been over paying for the use of 100LL when they could have used auto gas?
What's for dinner tonight? Find quick and easy dinner ideas for any occasion.
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Glasair-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Glasair-List
Bruce(at)glasair.org

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:24 am    Post subject: 100LL Reply with quote

The most likely candidate will be 100LL without the lead or about 95 octane.

Bruce
www.Glasair.org

--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

John Bolding

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:24 pm    Post subject: 100LL Reply with quote

About 30 yrs ago I ran an RV3 for 500+ hrs on almost 100% premium auto fuel, The engine was a 0-320 160 hp I built up. IF I remember correctly (50% chance of that) the manual required 91 (or maybe 90) octane . Engine ran fine, plugs stayed clean even at the low power I ran a lot of time while skimming the beach.
John Bolding
[quote] ---

lists(at)stevet.net

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:41 pm    Post subject: 100LL Reply with quote

The real issue with mogas these days is ethanol content. With up to 10% ethanol in the gas, there are untold things that can happen to your airplane, including dissolving gas tanks, rotting fuel bladders, hose breakdown, and more. I am currently running a test on the effect of ethanol on my gas tanks. But, if your mogas has ethanol, you may have more than detonation for a problem.
Steve Thomas

On Jul 21, 2009, at 2:22 PM, John Bolding wrote:
[quote]About 30 yrs ago I ran an RV3 for 500+ hrs on almost 100% premium auto fuel, The engine was a 0-320 160 hp I built up. IF I remember correctly (50% chance of that) the manual required 91 (or maybe 90) octane . Engine ran fine, plugs stayed clean even at the low power I ran a lot of time while skimming the beach.
John Bolding
[quote]---

John Bolding

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:55 pm    Post subject: 100LL Reply with quote

ABSOLUTELY, 30 yrs ago the car gas was MUCH different from today, gonna be interesting to see what shakes out from all this John
[quote] ---

Craymondw(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:57 pm    Post subject: 100LL Reply with quote

The AOPA article said that general aviation will definitely be running on unleaded mogas with a few extra additives and that unless an engine is turbo charged, it only needs 91 octane. I would like to see data from people flying 200/300 hp engines. I only know one Franklin dealer that says uses it in his 200hp aircraft and claims he has had no problems.
What's for dinner tonight? Find quick and easy dinner ideas for any occasion.
[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Glasair-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: