Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oil Drain Valve

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Allegro-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ledson

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:13 am    Post subject: Oil Drain Valve Reply with quote

After having experienced my first oil change and the amount of mess that it was....I wanted to ask everyone if they had installed one of the quick oil drain valves on their Allegro with the Rotax 912 engine and if they found it helpful? I would also like to know if the valve that was installed was a straight one or one with the 90 degree adapter?

Thanks for your help! I appreciate it.

Larry

- The Matronics Allegro-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Allegro-List
Thom Riddle

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:25 pm    Post subject: Oil Drain Valve Reply with quote

I installed a straight one our Allegro but the nipple was so close to the motor mount I had to shim the oil tank out about 3/8" from the firewall for it to clear. Yes, it makes the draining and cleaning of the oil tank much easier. 

Thom in Buffalo
[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Don't worry about old age... it doesn't last very long.
- Anonymous
ledson

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Drain Valve Reply with quote

Thom,

Thanks for the reply! Do you know what type valve you used? I noted that there are two different manufacturers of the quick drain valves, Curtis and Saf-Air. The Curtis valve appears to be complete made of brass and the Saf-Air valve looks to be aluminum.

Thanks,

Larry
Allegro 2000
N4362C

Thom Riddle

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Drain Valve Reply with quote

Larry,

I don't recall which one I bought but it was mostly aluminum. Both companies make very good drain valves so it is a toss up in my opinion.

Don't worry about old age... it doesn't last very long.
- Anonymous
Bear Creek Aviation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Drain Valve Reply with quote

With the Mfg essentially out of business, and it appears this aircraft is under a SLSA airworthiness certificate, where are you guys getting the Letter of Authorization to do this work? Are you reregistering as a ELSA?

Just curious,

Terry Gardner
RM(AP)(WS)(PP)

ledson

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Drain Valve Reply with quote

FYI
The original manufacturer is out of business, but all of the right to the design are owned by the new US manufacturer, Allegro USA LLC. So the design is not widowed and there is no reason to register as an ELSA.

Larry

brad(at)vision-technology

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:16 am    Post subject: Oil Drain Valve Reply with quote

I spent some time with Doug H at OSH last week talking about the production rights, etc. Also spoke with an Allegro dealer.  I came away with a good feeling about the Allegro's future.

I'd also mentioned to Doug that I'd like to add a panel mount CO2 detector and he said I don't need approval for that. He said the documentation was intentionally written to allow owners flexibility in doing some customizing / accessories, as long as they're not screwing around with the basic equipment as supplied by the factory. I haven't yet verified that in the documentation... but that's the word from the person who would have to provide the approval.

A quick-drain valve would be way down on my list of things to worry about documentation for (unless the thing leaks and causes an accident). It's not like the Feds will do a ramp check, remove the cowling and check log books for something like a quick drain. (most of them can't even identify a Rotax 912)

Brad
Bismarck ND
N221FA

[quote]--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Allegro-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: