Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fuse availability

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Aerobatic-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jack lucas

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: Fuse availability Reply with quote

[color=blue]List,

What follows is a message from a Paul Messenger's new Yahoo List concerning in-flight availablity of fuses, etc. which seems to counter advice given in Bob's book regarding in-flight availability of these devices.
Any comments on this posting greatly appreciated, as I am confused.

Jack Lucas
[/color]

Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 13:26:14 -0700
Subject: ILLEGAL EQUIPMENT
Perhaps I need to point out a few very common misconceptions that can get you grounded at best and void your aircraft insurance at worst.

My only purpose is to inform you.

Fuses for equipment essential for the flight conditions MUST be replaceable in flight. I question why anything is on a small single engine aircraft that is not essential to flight.

For example if a radio or light or heated pitot etc is requires for the
flight conditions taken they must be pilot accessible and spares on board.

Strobes must meet the FAR's if they are required for a specific flight
condition.

AeroFlash DO NOT MEET FARS. They are grandfathered for older type
certificated aircraft NOT new TC or experimental aircraft. That they are
sold for experimentals means they are ONLY legal when the flight condition does not require them. This after personally speaking to the President of Aeroflash some years ago.

Ever wonder why production aircraft come out with new models of an old
design where ever possible? Its to take advantage of grandfathering and thus allow lower quality/cost equipment to be used as well as far lower
certification requirements.

Recognition lights must also meet FARs when required. There are several LED recognition lights being sold as meeting the FARs but they do not. Like the AeroFlash strobes you are being mislead. But at least the AeroFlash is reasonably close (1/2) as bright where the LED's are far short of the required coverage. Soon perhaps but not at present. Whelan has just started with one light and look at the price of the first attempt!

Lets say you have fuses in your recognition light system and the fuse opens during a night flight and you land at an airport with no lights and there happens to be a FAA inspector on the ground and he walks over and inquired and finds out the fuse must have blown and its not accessible in flight. Your C of A can be rescinded and you can be sited with a violation. If your insurance Co finds out your insurance is most likely voided.

Or you have an totally unrelated (to lighting or fuses) accident and it
comes out you have unapproved lights, fuses, etc. your insurance Co can and has in some cases voided the insurance as there is a clause covering the requirement to meet all applicable FARS. I have discussed this with both the FAA FSDO and my insurance company so its not just an opinion.

As far as lights/strobes etc I want the brightest available and the multi
flash is the most attention getter I know of. See and Be seen can be a life
saver. Its a few hundred bucks more to get the best and a drop in the bucket in a 60,000-150,000 aircraft.

"But the DAR signed off on my installation so it must be legal". That sign
off only means its likely in compliance for day VFR and the Pilot is
responsible (not the builder if different) to assure the aircraft fully
meets all requirements of the intended flight.

One of my pet peeves, sorry for the outburst Smile

Paul

- The Matronics Aerobatic-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Aerobatic-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Aerobatic-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: