Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPARK PLUGS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> M14PEngines-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KT247

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:25 pm    Post subject: SPARK PLUGS Reply with quote

I started opening the boxes of spark plugs that came with my M-14P motor. It appears as if one box contains plugs ending in "91" and another has plugs that end in "92". EG "49CMM 91" or "49CMM 92".

Does anyone know what the 91/92 mean?

Thanks, KG

- The Matronics M14PEngines-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?M14PEngines-List
dsavarese0812(at)bellsout

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:35 pm    Post subject: SPARK PLUGS Reply with quote

Sorry, I don't know the answer to that. Why not make the change now to the automotive conversion kit and you'll never have to deal with finding Russian plugs again the problems inherent with the Russian wiring harnesses. One Russian plug will cost you about the same as a complete set of the automotive plugs included in my kit. http://www.yak-52.com/plug_conversion.htm

Contact me off-list if you would like to talk about it. I'm also available by telephone and on central time 334-285-2141.

Dennis
[quote] ---

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Deutsche-Werke

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: SPARK PLUGS Reply with quote

Sorry, Dennis.
He asked a question and you link to a site
of selling a strange wiring system.
I would never use it on a plane, maybe on a car Laughing .
KG, I also don`t know what 91/92 means.
But you can measure the resistance of the
spark plugs. These plugs have integrated
resistors. Maybe there are 2 kinds of plugs...
Yours, Uwe Wulf

jan.mevis(at)informavia.b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:14 pm    Post subject: SPARK PLUGS Reply with quote

Nothing "strange" about the wiring system: it is a MUCH better way of
running the M14P. All those who have tested it, can confirm this.

How is the small car with the M14P doing ?
Jan

--

yakplt(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:56 pm    Post subject: SPARK PLUGS Reply with quote

Deutsche-Werke wrote:
 Sorry, Dennis.
I would never use it on a plane, maybe on a car [Laughing] .

(text on spark plugs removed)

Yours, Uwe Wulf

Dear Uwe Wulf,

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, and of course I understand that you honestly felt your statements to be accurate and a good recommendation to others.

That said, it is my polite opinion that you really have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to ignition wiring systems on M-14 engines.

While it is true that in some countries modifications such as what is offered in the United States are not possible due to restrictions placed on the owners, it is also a known fact that engines equipped with this system run better, develop more power, idle better, are cheaper to maintain, and are installed by most every unlimited aerobatic pilot flying behind these radials in this country. Most people NOT using this system are just waiting for their Russian systems to fail (which they all  do) and then will immediately convert over to the modern system discussed.

To someone like yourself who might not fully understand what is being offered, it is understandable that a person might condemn or make fun of it. But I suggest that before you jump to that kind of conclusion again, you fully investigate the issue before making light of it. 

The bottom line is that the system suggested is better than the one originally designed, uses higher quality components, and works extremely well, as has been proved by the dozens and dozens of people already using it. This is simply a known fact...... maybe not by yourself, but very clearly to most everyone in the United States.

Best Regards,

Mark Bitterlich
N50YK

[quote][b]

n223rv(at)wolflakeairport

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:15 pm    Post subject: SPARK PLUGS Reply with quote

Re-read the note and keep in mind Uwe does not own an airplane, he has a car powered with a M14P engine..... He would never use it on a plane because he doesn't have one, maybe he would on a car because he has one..... It was a joke.....

Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 5, 2009, at 6:54 PM, Yak Pilot <yakplt(at)yahoo.com (yakplt(at)yahoo.com)> wrote:

[quote]
Deutsche-Werke wrote:
Sorry, Dennis.

Yours, Uwe Wulf

Dear Uwe Wulf,

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, and of course I understand that you honestly felt your statements to be accurate and a good recommendation to others.

That said, it is my polite opinion that you really have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to ignition wiring systems on M-14 engines.

While it is true that in some countries modifications such as what is offered in the United States are not possible due to restrictions placed on the owners, it is also a known fact that engines equipped with this system run better, develop more power, idle better, are cheaper to maintain, and are installed by most every unlimited aerobatic pilot flying behind these radials in this country. Most people NOT using this system are just waiting for their Russian systems to fail (which they all do) and then will immediately convert over to the modern system discussed.

To someone like yourself who might not fully understand what is being offered, it is understandable that a person might condemn or make fun of it. But I suggest that before you jump to that kind of conclusion again, you fully investigate the issue before making light of it.

The bottom line is that the system suggested is better than the one originally designed, uses higher quality components, and works extremely well, as has been proved by the dozens and dozens of people already using it. This is simply a known fact...... maybe not by yourself, but very clearly to most everyone in the United States.

Best Regards,

Mark Bitterlich
N50YK

Quote:

[b]

Deutsche-Werke

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:41 am    Post subject: Re: SPARK PLUGS Reply with quote

That was probably just a semi-joke of me...
Under my impression,
it appears to me like homemade wiring,
which can not withstand any short fire.
In case the engine catch a fire, the cables
would burn up and ignition will fail completely
until you are able to find a place for emergency
landing.
Uwe Wulf

yakplt(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:48 pm    Post subject: SPARK PLUGS Reply with quote

And my response was as polite and accurate as I could make it. Glad you saw his reply as a joke. Many people took it seriously. Me included.

So since it was a joke, I can then assume that Uwe would convert to that ignition harness in a heartbeat in his car .... or his airplane... if he ever gets one.

Glad to know it.

Best Regards,

Mark Bitterlich

--- On Sat, 12/5/09, Michael Kraus <n223rv(at)wolflakeairport.net> wrote:

Quote:

Subject: Re: Re: SPARK PLUGS
To: "m14pengines-list(at)matronics.com" <m14pengines-list(at)matronics.com>
Date: Saturday, December 5, 2009, 7:07 PM

Re-read the note and keep in mind Uwe does not own an airplane, he has a car powered with a M14P engine..... He would never use it on a plane because he doesn't have one, maybe he would on a car because he has one.... It was a joke.....

Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 5, 2009, at 6:54 PM, Yak Pilot <yakplt(at)yahoo.com (yakplt(at)yahoo.com)> wrote:

Quote:

Deutsche-Werke wrote:
Sorry, Dennis.

Yours, Uwe Wulf

Dear Uwe Wulf,

While it is true that in some countries modifications such as what is offered in the United States are not possible due to restrictions placed on the owners, it is also a known fact that engines equipped with this system run better, develop more power, idle better, are cheaper to maintain, and are installed by most every unlimited aerobatic pilot flying behind these radials in this country. Most people NOT using this system are just waiting for their Russian systems to fail (which they all  do) and then will immediately convert over to the modern system discussed.

Best Regards,

Mark Bitterlich
N50YK

Quote:

[quote][b]

yakplt(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:03 pm    Post subject: SPARK PLUGS Reply with quote

Uwe, it is pretty much standard practice that when an airplane catches fire, you look for a place to land. Very quickly.

The ignition wires themselves are made from silicone, which does not burn very well, but besides that fact, the P lead insulation to the mags would also melt in a fire and ground out, shutting off the mags as well.

None of that matters.

If you ever become a pilot and fly an airplane you will learn that the very first thing you do when the engine catches fire is to shut off the fuel. When you shut off the fuel, the engine does not run anymore, but hopefully the fire goes out. With no fuel going to the engine, it really does not matter what the ignition harness is made out of. 

The last thing you would ever do is to ignore the fire, leave the fuel turned on, and try to fly it to an airport. In fact, most folks would bail out of an airplane that was on fire, but if they did not have a chute, they would shut off the fuel and start praying the fire went out before the whole aircraft went up in a bright ball of flame.

The real reason that the original ignition harness was put into metal tube(s) was not because of fire, but because of EMI. Electromagnetic Interference. In other words, the noise from the mags and the wires caused interference to every radio aboard the aircraft. Modern ignition systems have gone a long way towards solving that problem.

Good luck with your car.

Mark Bitterlich

--- On Sun, 12/6/09, Deutsche-Werke <wulf(at)deutsche-werke.de> wrote:

Quote:

Subject: Re: SPARK PLUGS
To: m14pengines-list(at)matronics.com
Date: Sunday, December 6, 2009, 5:41 AM

--> M14PEngines-List message posted by: "Deutsche-Werke" <wulf(at)deutsche-werke.de (wulf(at)deutsche-werke.de)>

That was probably just a semi-joke of me...
Under my impression,
it appears to me like homemade wiring,
which can not withstand any short fire.
In case the engine catch a fire, the cables
would burn up and ignition will fail completely
until you are able to find a place for emergency
landing.
Uwe Wulf

[quote][b]

Deutsche-Werke

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: SPARK PLUGS Reply with quote

Hi Mark.
I`m just curious how you solve the EMI-problem now?
Did you made a change at the magnetos, e.g. add a
semiconductor? My starting buzzer does operate with a
high voltage transistor and it could probably be really
easy adding also a transistor for the magnetos.
Your, Uwe Wulf

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> M14PEngines-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: