Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tail Cone Longerons

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thomas(at)koelzer.us

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:17 pm    Post subject: Tail Cone Longerons Reply with quote

Question about countersinking forward most skin holes of longerons:

There is much reference throughout plans cautioning not to final drill or dimple holes related to forward tail cone F-1006 Bulkhead. Page 10-11 step 2 has builder match-drill all common holes to side skins and longerons. Page 10-16 step 1 has builder machine countersink all skins holes in longerons except those aft associated with empennage gap cover.

My question is that the forward most longeron hole aligns with a back tab of the forward F-1006 Bulkhead and I just want to make certain I read this right that this most forward hole gets countersunk now and not later at some point when the tail cone is matched and jointed to the forward fuselage.

Any other "gouge" would be appreciated. I've read through Tim's gottchas and notes but did not see reference to this specific issue.

Just being careful,

Tom Koelzer

#40950 Tail Cone

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
jesse(at)saintaviation.co

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:44 am    Post subject: Tail Cone Longerons Reply with quote

Yes, you do countersink that hole. All holes in the longeron get countersunk now except the ones that get tapped to accept screws for the F-1094 Gap Cover. None of those holes get final drilled #40 yet because that has to be done with the fuselage side skins down the road. You may need to final drill the hole in the longeron if the countersink bit doesn't fit, but that shouldn't be a big deal.

Note, that Page 10-11 Step 2 has you match drill 3/32", not #40. You will end up drilling some of these holes again with the top skins or with the fuselage side skins, most of which you probably already did before page 16, but that's why you don't drill the bulkhead holes yet.

do not archive

Jesse Saint
Saint Aviation, Inc.
jesse(at)saintaviation.com
Cell: 352-427-0285
Fax: 815-377-3694

On Dec 27, 2009, at 9:15 PM, Thomas G Koelzer wrote:

Quote:

Question about countersinking forward most skin holes of longerons:

There is much reference throughout plans cautioning not to final drill or dimple holes related to forward tail cone F-1006 Bulkhead. Page 10-11 step 2 has builder match-drill all common holes to side skins and longerons. Page 10-16 step 1 has builder machine countersink all skins holes in longerons except those aft associated with empennage gap cover.

My question is that the forward most longeron hole aligns with a back tab of the forward F-1006 Bulkhead and I just want to make certain I read this right that this most forward hole gets countersunk now and not later at some point when the tail cone is matched and jointed to the forward fuselage.

Any other "gouge" would be appreciated. I've read through Tim's gottchas and notes but did not see reference to this specific issue.

Just being careful,

Tom Koelzer

#40950 Tail Cone

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

brenthumphreys

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:45 am    Post subject: Tail Cone Longerons Reply with quote

Ok, I need a little clarification here.

I believe the question was about the whole most forward on the tailcone
longeron. This is at the F-1006 bulkhead. All of the instructions say
not to drill any of the holes associated with F-1006, which included the
hole in question.

As I sit right now, I am riveting the stiffeners in place. I have not
done any drilling on the F-1032 longeron at this most forward hole. I
suppose I should go ahead and c-sink it and dimple the skin while I
still have access.
--

Phil.Perry(at)netapp.com

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:48 am    Post subject: Tail Cone Longerons Reply with quote

I didn't dimple the holes - per the plans.

However I didn't rivet the stiffeners all the way out to the bulkhead
until I was fitting the tailcone. I left ~15 inches un-riveted and just
held them with clecos. This let me pull the stiffeners out the way to
gain access to dimple any holes I might need access to during the
fitting.

Worked really well.
Phil
--

thomas(at)koelzer.us

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:13 pm    Post subject: Tail Cone Longerons Reply with quote

Thanks Jesse,

That's the info I was looking for.

Tom

do not archive

thomas(at)koelzer.us

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:37 pm    Post subject: Tail Cone Longerons Reply with quote

Brent,

I was thinking the same way you did after going over the plans. I finally decided the last longeron hole needed drilling and countersinking but wanted confirmation, which Jesse provided.

Phil,

I thought too that I might want to leave some room do to work related to fitting to the fwd fuselage, although I did not find others stating "wished I'd left some room to work" once getting to that point. None-the-less, I like your idea.

Thanks,

Tom

do not archive

On Dec 28, 2009, at 10:46 AM, Perry, Phil wrote:

[quote]

I didn't dimple the holes - per the plans.

However I didn't rivet the stiffeners all the way out to the bulkhead
until I was fitting the tailcone. I left ~15 inches un-riveted and just
held them with clecos. This let me pull the stiffeners out the way to
gain access to dimple any holes I might need access to during the
fitting.

Worked really well.
Phil

--

brenthumphreys

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:55 pm    Post subject: Tail Cone Longerons Reply with quote

I just pulled the longerons out and got that hole drilled, dimpled, and
countersunk.

I have been riveting the stiffeners, and did leave the forward most
rivets. I had not decided how long I would leave them un-riveted.
Still not sure.

It would be difficult to drill, dimple, and c-sink with all of those
longeron rivets in place.

Thanks for asking the question, as it kicked me in the tail to get it
done.

--
Brent Humphreys

Do not archive

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: