Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

tank repair

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> KIS-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
richard_trickel(at)yahoo.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:39 am    Post subject: tank repair Reply with quote

Mike
Now that you found the leak. Put a vacumn pressure on the tank.  Donīt worry about seeing the ribs when you do this. <You can control the vacumn by putting something to release the pressure a little. Mix a small amount of epoxy and warm it up a little so that it is more watery. apply to the leak area spending some time to keep reappling. as your applying the last of the resin bleed off the vacumn and do a final application. Allow to dure and test.
Rich
--- On Wed, 1/13/10, Mike Pienaar <mjpienaar(at)shaw.ca> wrote:

[quote]
Subject: Re: Fuel tank
To: kis-list(at)matronics.com
Date: Wednesday, January 13, 2010, 6:31 PM

--> KIS-List message posted by: "Mike Pienaar" <mjpienaar(at)shaw.ca (mjpienaar(at)shaw.ca)>

Hi All,

Found my leak to-day quite by accident. In desperation I covered the entire wing with dishwashing liquid where I thought the leak could be (that should give you a clue). Nothing.

While I was hosing the wing down to get rid of the soap I noticed bubbles at the end of the front spar, 4 inches from the tank. Air was travelling through the foam core of the spar and exiting at the end.

The question now is do I open the tank and re-coat it inside or do I live with gas soaked foam in the spar, all comments will be appreciated. My initial feeling is to live with the situation as the major surgery involved to cut each bay open and reclose it may be worse

Thanks for the help

Mike
----- Original Message ----- From: <bakerocb(at)cox.net (bakerocb(at)cox.net)>
To: <kis-list(at)matronics.com (kis-list(at)matronics.com)>; "Mike Pienaar" <mjpienaar(at)shaw.ca (mjpienaar(at)shaw.ca)>
Sent: Wednesday, January 13, 2010 11:15 AM
Subject: Re: Fuel tank
[quote] --> KIS-List message posted by: <bakerocb(at)cox.net (bakerocb(at)cox.net)>

1/13/2010

Hello Mike, You quoted: "Do not apply over old epoxies or other previously
applied coatings. "

I think that you have to view that as written by some lawyer. Obviously, if
there is a primer or base coating on the substrate that is not properly
adhered then any further coating will also be not be properly adhered to the
substrate.

Realize that our KIS moldings have been made from pre impregnated (with
epoxy) fiber glass. So all of us that have successfully used Jeffco 9700 FCR
on the interior of our wing fuel tanks have, in effect, applied the Jeffco
9700 FCR over a previously applied coating.

Some of us have even applied additional laminating resin over the interior
surface before applying the Jeffco 9700 FCR.

'OC' Says: "The best investment we can make is the effort to gather and
understand knowledge."

====================

---

- The Matronics KIS-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?KIS-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> KIS-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: