Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hartzel Blended foil

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Glasair-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Craymondw(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:40 pm    Post subject: Hartzel Blended foil Reply with quote

We had another chance to test our new Hartzel blended foil prop on our Glasair 2S FT-!0360 200 HP engine. We flew the plane with a light cross wind this time and noted a shorter take off roll from the runway end threshold to the hash marks. This time we noted that full take off RPM had settled down to 2600 rpm and that the fluctuating RPM we had on our first flights may have been due to either the prop purging itself of a little air or the oil being a bit warmer. Our last prop required adjusting the hub stop to get 2750 rpm. We climbed to 6,500 feet at a 140 mph indicated airspeed and noted this new prop provided a much higher rate of climb than our old prop did. Once at altitude we flew West at 6,500 feet with 24 inches manifold pressure, 2450 RPM and 50 degrees lean of peak for fifteen miles and recorded GPS ground cruise speeds of 214 mph in one direction and 204 mph on the return course that averaged out to 209 mph and noted an increase of around 15 mph over our old cruise speed. This increase in air speed was a bit lower than the twenty mph increase we noted at 3,000 feet. But this may have been do to slightly warmer temperatures and saturated air from a rain system that was moving in. The visibility for this flight was limited and no were near the crystal clear air we had on our first two tests flights and that may have been the cause. We also noted with our old prop that increasing the RPM over 2350 rpm didn't add to the air speed, but increasing the rpm with the new blended foil did increase airspeed all the way up to 2475 rpm. My guess for this is that the new blended foil has far more bite at higher rpm's than our old prop did. When the weather cooperates we will shoot for 8,500 feet on hopefully a clear day.

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Glasair-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Glasair-List
Matt Dralle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:26 pm    Post subject: Hartzel Blended foil Reply with quote

Nice report. What was the "old" prop you had?

Matt Dralle
RV-8 #82880 N998RV
http://www.mattsrv8.com Matt's Building Blog
Finishing Up...
At 03:27 PM 3/4/2010 Thursday, you wrote:
Quote:
We had another chance to test our new Hartzel blended foil prop on our Glasair 2S FT-!0360 200 HP engine. We flew the plane with a light cross wind this time and noted a shorter take off roll from the runway end threshold to the hash marks. This time we noted that full take off RPM had settled down to 2600 rpm and that the fluctuating RPM we had on our first flights may have been due to either the prop purging itself of a little air or the oil being a bit warmer. Our last prop required adjusting the hub stop to get 2750 rpm. We climbed to 6,500 feet at a 140 mph indicated airspeed and noted this new prop provided a much higher rate of climb than our old prop did. Once at altitude we flew West at 6,500 feet with 24 inches manifold pressure, 2450 RPM and 50 degrees lean of peak for fifteen miles and recorded GPS ground cruise speeds of 214 mph in one direction and 204 mph on the return course that averaged out to 209 mph and noted an increase of around 15 mph over our old cruise speed. This increase in air speed was a bit lower than the twenty mph increase we noted at 3,000 feet. But this may have been do to slightly warmer temperatures and saturated air from a rain system that was moving in. The visibility for this flight was limited and no were near the crystal clear air we had on our first two tests flights and that may have been the cause. We also noted with our old prop that increasing the RPM over 2350 rpm didn't add to the air speed, but increasing the rpm with the new blended foil did increase airspeed all the way up to 2475 rpm. My guess for this is that the new blended foil has far more bite at higher rpm's than our old prop did. When the weather cooperates we will shoot for 8,500 feet on hopefully a clear day.

Matt G Dralle | Matronics | PO Box 347 | Livermore | CA | 94551
925-606-1001 V | 925-606-6281 F | dralle(at)matronics.com Email
http://www.matronics.com/ WWW | Featuring Products For Aircraft

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Craymondw(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:07 am    Post subject: Hartzel Blended foil Reply with quote

The prop I had before was a 72" Hartzel constant speed prop that was recommended and sold through Glasair Corp and was recommended for 180/2-00 hp Lyc. It didn't have a name, just serial numbers. Our new prop is a 72 inch constant speed "Blended Foil" prop. My home base builder bolted one on his RV 9 and noted a 10 mph increase in cruise speed. I think my greater performance was due to my plane not being completely stream lined in cruise and with the added thrust this prop produces I had an increase in cruise speed greater than 10 mph ranging between 15 to 20 mph. I have only recorded three short flights with this new Blended Foil design and with the arrival of spring I will be making more cross country flights and will report what I see.
As a side note, I placed my prop for sale in Trade A Plane and it sold within two weeks to a Mooney driver. His prop hub was worn out and a prop shop wanted close to $4,000 for a new hub and several thousand dollars for two serviceable blades because one of his blades could no longer be dressed. My old prop had less than 600 hours and after being inspected by a prop shop, determined all it needed was inspection, paint and fresh seals and grease. This Mooney driver would have had to pay $10,300 for a new prop and was happy to find mine for half the price. Also, if you own a low time prop in excellent condition like mine was, I was offered $3,000 by a prop shop. Glasair supplies this new Blended Foil prop for $6,600. They installed one on their factory Glasair Super 2S and noted a 7 mph increase.

In a message dated 3/4/2010 9:26:31 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, dralle(at)matronics.com writes:
Quote:
--> Glasair-List message posted by: Matt Dralle <dralle(at)matronics.com>

Nice report. What was the "old" prop you had?

Matt Dralle
RV-8 #82880 N998RV
http://www.mattsrv8.com Matt's Building Blog
Finishing Up...
At 03:27 PM 3/4/2010  Thursday, you wrote:
Quote:
We had another chance to test our new Hartzel blended foil prop on our Glasair 2S FT-!0360 200 HP engine. We flew the plane with a light cross wind this time and noted a shorter take off roll from the runway end threshold to the hash marks. This time we noted that full take off RPM had settled down to 2600 rpm and that the fluctuating RPM we had on our first flights may have been due to either the prop purging itself of a little air or the oil being a bit warmer. Our last prop required adjusting the hub stop to get 2750 rpm. We climbed to 6,500 feet at a 140 mph indicated airspeed and noted this new prop provided a much higher rate of climb than our old prop did. Once at altitude we flew West at 6,500 feet with 24 inches manifold pressure, 2450 RPM and 50 degrees lean of peak for fifteen miles and recorded GPS ground cruise speeds of 214 mph in one direction and 204 mph on the return course that averaged out to 209 mph and noted an increase of around 15 mph over our old c!
ruise speed. This increase in air speed was a bit lower than the twenty mph increase we noted at 3,000 feet. But this may have been do to slightly warmer temperatures and saturated air from a rain system that was moving in. The visibility for this flight was limited and no were near the crystal clear air we had on our first two tests flights and that may have been the cause. We also noted with our old prop that increasing the RPM over 2350 rpm didn't add to the air speed, but increasing the rpm with the new blended foil did increase airspeed all the way up to 2475 rpm. My guess for this is that the new blended foil has far more bite at higher rpm's than our old prop did. When the weather cooperates we will shoot for 8,500 feet on hopefully a clear day.

Quote:

Matt G Dralle | Matronics | PO Box 347 | Livermore | CA | 94551
925-606-1001 V | 925-606-6281 F | dralle(at)matronics.com Email
http://www.matronics.com/ WWW | Featuring Products For ========================= e the ties Day ================================================ - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS ================================================ - List Contribution Web Site sp;   ===================================================

[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Glasair-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: