Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Replacing the brakes & wheels on my Allegro

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Allegro-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
timpry

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:32 am    Post subject: Replacing the brakes & wheels on my Allegro Reply with quote

Well... I have disassembled the brake assembly on my Allegro... and the piston is frozen solid. The cost of getting that fixed & ordering a set of brake linings is nearing the cost of new wheel/brake assemblies from matco... which has got me debating the idea of replacing the existing wheel / brake assemblies with matco... and I figured I would hit you guys up to see if anyone has already done anything like this ?

Thanks

- The Matronics Allegro-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Allegro-List
ledson

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing the brakes & wheels on my Allegro Reply with quote

Timpry,

Glad to see that you're working out the problems with your airplane. Talking about the matco brakes to replace your existing brakes that are in fact Evektor brakes is the way to go. I know that the later model Evektor sportstars have been equipped with the matco brakes because of the cost and availability of the Evektor brakes. There is also the fact that you have to consider how your plane is registered. If it's registered as a S-LSA or E-LSA you have to get authorization from the manufacturer to change the parts. That shouldn't be a problem. To stay out of trouble, you would need a letter of authorization from Doug Hempstead at B Bar D Aviation to proceed.

Make sure you do us all a favor and post your experiences during the brake change out. I for one have considered what you are talking about doing and would learn from your experiences.

Take care, and I hope you're flying soon!

Larry

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

timpry

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing the brakes & wheels on my Allegro Reply with quote

Well I contacted Matco about replacement parts... and placed an order for wheels, brakes and axles... I also hit up Doug Hempstead and asked about a letter of authorization... Since my plane is E LSA he said I wouldnt need one.

Still waiting on the parts to be delivered.. so I can start the project... I may post pics of the actual work online... I will post an address here if I do.

ledson

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing the brakes & wheels on my Allegro Reply with quote

Thanks for keeping us updated. I for one,am very interested in your experience with this conversion. I would like to see what your take is on the procedure as well as the cost impact.

I hope to see that you're flying soon!

Larry
N4362c

timpry

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing the brakes & wheels on my Allegro Reply with quote

Well here is what I got done this weekend.

1. The matco axles are not exact replacements for the Evektor axles. They fit & have the same bolt pattern.. but the matco axles have 6mm holes for the attach bolts.. and the Evektor axle has 8mm holes. So we fabricated some sleeves from steel tubing that had an 8mm OD and a 6mm ID. so that we could use put 6mm bolts through the 8mm holes in the legs..

2. the matco wheel is a 600x6 not 400x6. so I am going to have to buy new tires and tubes... and fabricate larger wheel pants if I plan on using them.

3. I have decided to replace the brake lines & master cylinder rather than attempt to clean out the dot 4 fluid. why risk contamination is my thought.

Also the evektor axle is threaded so the attach bolts bolt directly into it. .. the matco axle is not.. new attach bolts, washers & self locking nuts were required. and I did have to do a little fitting on the leg to give the brakes clearance.

If aircraft spruce gets my order delivered this week.. I should be able to get finished this weekend.

timpry

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing the brakes & wheels on my Allegro Reply with quote

Well I am still not quite done with this project.. The primary problem was the T fitting I bought from aircraft spruce was supposed to have 1 1/8" npt and 2 1/8" compression fittings. It had 3 1/8" compression fittings instead.. I am ordering a second T fitting in the hope that it will be correct.

The new wheels, tires, brakes, brake lines & master cylinder are installed.. everything is looking fine.

Major parts list:
Matco MHMHE6B1.25 EV (matco wheel / brake assembly)
Matco WHLAXLE3EV (matco axle)
matco Mc-5 master cylinder
MCCREARY AIRTRAC 600-6 tires

high pressure tubing, right angle and t fittings, aircraft quality bolts, washers, lock nuts.

I would probably recommend using 1/4" brake line.. since it is a LOT easier to find fittings in this size.. in the event you are missing something.. say a T fitting...
Total cost of materials was about $900
total time invested so far.. about 20 man hours.
I will probably post pictures of the finished product once everything is complete.

timpry

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing the brakes & wheels on my Allegro Reply with quote

Here are a couple of pics

back.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  53.03 KB
 Viewed:  18564 Time(s)

back.jpg

front.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  56.9 KB
 Viewed:  18564 Time(s)

front.jpg

timpry

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing the brakes & wheels on my Allegro Reply with quote

Well I finally got a chance to condition the brakes.. and give them a proper test. On their best day the Evektor brakes would barely hold the plane at 3500rpm. I stopped testing the Matco brakes at 4900 rpm. So I would say they are an improvement... Also they appear to be easier and cheaper to maintain.

Overall I am pretty happy with the decision and the results.

ledson

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing the brakes & wheels on my Allegro Reply with quote

Looking at the photos that you provided, it appears that you had to modify the landing leg in order to mount the caliper. Does this mean the the provided mounting bracket that is supplied by MATCO doesn't work without modifying the landing leg?

Thanks,
Larry

timpry

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing the brakes & wheels on my Allegro Reply with quote

I did have to reshape the legs to give the brakes clearance..

Roger Lee

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing the brakes & wheels on my Allegro Reply with quote

Hi Timpry,

I set up Matco's for the Flight Design CT. I'm also an OEM for Matco. The CTLS model has strut gear like yours. You may have been better off with the right brake (pictured) on the other wheel. You would still have to of had cut the corner at a 45 degree on the bottom back edge just like the CTLS, but the caliper would be in a much better position at 4 o'clock and the brake line and bleeder valve would have been in a more upright position. This would also put them a tad higher so as not to strike a low object. There is also a little different wheel/brake set that the CTLS uses that may have been a bit easier to mount. I have those part numbers if anyone would like them. You also need to go out and burnish the brakes (heat them up). If you don't you sacrifice up to 50% of the stopping power. With the Matco's you should be able to run at WOT and the brakes will hold.
If you call George (owner) at Matco for the Allegro brakes tell him you need the setup for the Flight Design CTLS.

Light Sport Repairman
Home 520-574-1080 TRY HOME FIRST
Cell 520-349-7056
Roger Lee

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing the brakes & wheels on my Allegro Reply with quote

Here is a picture of what it could look like and position the caliper better.

ls caliper orientation.JPG
 Description:
Matco caliper placement
 Filesize:  179.98 KB
 Viewed:  18438 Time(s)

ls caliper orientation.JPG

Light Sport Repairman
Home 520-574-1080 TRY HOME FIRST
Cell 520-349-7056
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Allegro-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: