Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

first flight

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> KIS-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sstearns2(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:39 pm    Post subject: first flight Reply with quote

Hello all,

I flew my TR-1 taildragger for the first time a few days ago. It went well and ended safely.

The engine CHTs and oil ran pretty hot, so I've opened up the cooling exit area and plan to make a set of pressure recovery intake ducts. The engine also only has about 4 hours on it, so it might still be hot from break in. It's a "180 HP" IO-360 that makes 220 HP, but I never ran it over 25" and was flying at 20-22" most of the time due to the high temps and trying to keep it from going building up too much speed. The data logging capability of the dynon units are a great help for fligh test.

It also wanted to roll left even with full trim in, but the stick forces were low and I may not have had the ball fully centered. I'm installing a fixed trim tab.

I had the flap and strobe circuit breakers pop due to being undersized. Easy fix.

It seeds to handle well. The pitch and roll forces seem about equal. My elevator is 2 inches longer in chord than stock, which helped increase the pitch force.

Scott

[quote][b]

- The Matronics KIS-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?KIS-List
lgdavid(at)roadrunner.com

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:29 pm    Post subject: first flight Reply with quote

Scott, Congrats! What take off and landing speed did you use? Any instability like has been advertized when slower in ground effect? Congrats again. Feels great doesn't it. Larry
[quote] ---

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

gbrighton(at)skymesh.com.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:52 pm    Post subject: first flight Reply with quote

Great news Scott and congratulations from 'down under too' .... Busting to hear more as u progress along ... I have the standard Elevator and its way light ... Well Done .
Graham

sstearns2(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:39 pm    Post subject: first flight Reply with quote

Hi Larry,

I'm not sure exaclty what speed I lifted off at, but it was pretty fast. Between 75 and 80 KIAS for lift off looking at the data. As best I can tell from the data i touched down at about 60 knots. I was overcontrolling it a bit, but it felt solid and responsive all the way to impact, I mean touchdown. I need to tuft the wing root fairings and the bottom of the elevator when I have a chase plane and see if there is separation at high AOA.

Scott

--- On Sat, 6/19/10, Larry David <lgdavid(at)roadrunner.com> wrote:

[quote]
Subject: Re: first flight
To: kis-list(at)matronics.com
Date: Saturday, June 19, 2010, 2:25 PM

Scott, Congrats! What take off and landing speed did you use? Any instability like has been advertized when slower in ground effect? Congrats again. Feels great doesn't it.  Larry
[quote] ---

ftyoder(at)yoderbuilt.com

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:29 pm    Post subject: first flight Reply with quote

Congratulations!

Tim
[quote] ---

Flyinisfun(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:34 pm    Post subject: first flight Reply with quote

Hi Larry,

I would like to know what your empty weight is and how your CG came out. Sounds like you have a good balance. How much gas did you have on your first flight. Full --- Half full ---- or maybe a total of 10 gallons?

Thanks, Jesse
[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> KIS-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: