Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[QUAR] RE: SV: SV: Re: KIS IT-1 Aerodynamics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> KIS-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jconners(at)dot.state.nv.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:52 am    Post subject: [QUAR] RE: SV: SV: Re: KIS IT-1 Aerodynamics Reply with quote

Yes, 35 knots indicated but I did not say stalls at 35 knots but slow flight at 35 knots…I usually do the maneuver above 6000 AGL with winds at altitude less than 10 knots…my GPS readouts are usually set for  groundspeed and I have not been interested enough to confirm 35knot slow speed (Note…N94K did not stall under those slow flight speeds…I was reluctant to reduce airspeed…)  I have not done such maneuvers since 2004…went on to other N94K ‘studies’.

From: owner-kis-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-kis-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Richard Trickel
Sent: Tuesday, July 06, 2010 10:41 AM
To: kis-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: [QUAR] RE: SV: SV: Re: KIS IT-1 Aerodynamics
Importance: Low

Hi Jerry

Thanks for logging in. You say the plane stalls 35 Knots so I´m guessing that is indicated. Have you tried to compare with a gps in different directions to compensate for the wind.. Your number is very low.

Rich

--- On Tue, 7/6/10, Conners, Jerry L <jconners(at)dot.state.nv.us> wrote:
[quote]

Subject: RE: SV: SV: Re: KIS IT-1 Aerodynamics
To: kis-list(at)matronics.com
Date: Tuesday, July 6, 2010, 5:21 PM
--> KIS-List message posted by: "Conners, Jerry L" <jconners(at)dot.state.nv.us>

My experiences flying N94K (KIS TR-1 with Lycoming O-235 L2C) at slow speeds at high altitudes (8000-14500 MSL) and full fuel with pilot only...the aircraft does not stall at 35 knots but the resulting extreme low tail attitude prevents landing at such speeds.

What are the recorded slow flight speeds being experienced by other TR-1 pilots?

Jer

Jerry Conners, PE
Civil Engineer
Nevada Department of Transportation
310 Galletti Way
Sparks, Nevada 89431
775-834-8363 (voice mail)
jconners(at)dot.state.nv.us

--

- The Matronics KIS-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?KIS-List
mantafs(at)earthlink.net

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:32 am    Post subject: [QUAR] RE: SV: SV: Re: KIS IT-1 Aerodynamics Reply with quote

Please keep in mind that there could be a very large difference between actual and indicated airspeed at 35 knots (~40 mph) indicated. Pitots tend to have large errors when not aligned with the airflow. The calculated stall airspeed I did is power off. The power on stall airspeed is highly dependent on the thrust. For example if the trust was very high, say 1450 lbs static, the power on stall speed would be zero at a gross of 1450 lbs. Rich's TR1 had 125 hp and depending on the prop it maybe could produce about 600 lbs of thrust at about 35 knots. This thrust would greatly lower the stall speed. The plane may also not truly stall with so much trust but could just mush along.

And of course weight also has a big effect on stall speed. For example the calculated power off stall speed at 1200 lbs is 55 mph (48 knots).

Mark

- The Matronics KIS-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?KIS-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> KIS-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: