Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AW: SV: SV: SV: Picture of fillet / Control forces

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> KIS-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
r.twellmann(at)steute.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:53 pm    Post subject: AW: SV: SV: SV: Picture of fillet / Control forces Reply with quote

This leads to a question which arose during our weekend flying in Germany:
We found that the aileron forces on Hans plane are considerably higher than on mine and on Keiths.
Does anybody know whether the kinematics of the controls were changed during production of the kits?
(Hans has one of the earlier kits)

Ralf
-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: owner-kis-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-kis-list-server(at)matronics.com] Im Auftrag von Mark Kettering
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 21. Juli 2010 04:21
An: kis-list(at)matronics.com
Betreff: Re: SV: SV: SV: Picture of fillet

Hello Hans,

If your inconsistency landing is before you touch down then moving the gear location will not help. There are two or three minor design issues that may be causing pretouch down problem. The first and largest issue is the control harmony. The pitch forces are too light and the roll forces are too heavy in relation to the pitch force. The most simple way to reduce this problem some is to increase the pitch force by extending the elevator about 2+ inches in cord. The second would be to increase the movement of the elevator for a given stick movement. Keep in mind that you fly a plane with control force not control position. The third would be to reduce the ratio on the ailerons. The design of the stick on both the TR1 and TR4 actually makes for more leverage on the elevator and less on the ailerons. Ideally this would be reversed and then it would help lighten the aileron force and firm up the elevator force.

The second area you may want to look into is control friction and play. The less friction and play you have in the system the better. Scott went to all ball bearings in his control system.

A third area that causes some more pilot effort when landing is the slightly higher span loading of the TR1. This is best solved with piloting methods. Some like to keep a bit of power through the flair. I prefer to add a small burst of power at the flair to reduce the rate of decent just at the flair. Another method is to hold just a bit more speed and trade this speed for reduced rate of decent right at the flair. Practice all and do what works best for you but keep in mind if you use the keep a bit of power method you may not have that in an engine out situation.

I am a big fan of Stinton. I agree with his gear placement but keep in mind the main requirement for the main gear is not the weight on the nose gear but the tail down force needed to rotate. Once the main gear is set from that requirement then you place the nose gear to get the 6 to 15%. Of course this is not possible on many single engine planes since the nose is not that long and there is a prop in the way so you can not place the nose gear so far forward.

Good to hear you had a great trip! Wish I was there.

Mark

Quote:

I am not looking for shorter landings, as I think I land shorter than I
take off, with the prop I have I am looking for consistently good
landings. The wing fairings may be a help (and Julians statement was
that it was a great help), and a better gear position should also help.

On the subject of gear position; Ralf showed me the Stinton book and on
page
373 Stinton state that the nose wheel should have between 6 and 15 % of
the total weight. With the main gear at STA 73.5 the nose gear takes about 23%.
To get the load down to 15% I calculate I will have to move the main
gir to STA 70! I don't know if it is advicable to tilt the legs that much forward.
(But also on this subject, I don't know what autority Stinton is!)

But, I will rather use the time flying. I had a grat trip to Germany at
the weekend - as Ralf posted picture of.

Regards, Hans Christian

- The Matronics KIS-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?KIS-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> KIS-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: