Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fuel Leaks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> KIS-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kentpyle(at)iland.net

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:39 pm    Post subject: Fuel Leaks Reply with quote

If you have been following this for a while, you are aware that I have been chasing fuel leaks for a few years. I learned from this exhange that fuel would creep through the wing skins. I didn't know that and thought I had new leaks.

Earlier in the week, I fixed a fuel drip in a quick drain and now there is not further leaks, seeps or drips. Apparenty, fuel was creeping through the skin and coming to the surface where I thought the leaks were. Oh! Happy Day!!

Kent
[quote][b]

- The Matronics KIS-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?KIS-List
gbrighton(at)skymesh.com.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:09 am    Post subject: Fuel Leaks Reply with quote

Yeah ..something to think about .. fuel migrating through the honeycomb skin... I have (and the previous owner ) a mystery fuel smell in the cockpit when the tank levels are high ...have searched every where but never found a stain or any wetness .... annoying, but nothing ever found visible .... as yet .!!!
Graham

TR1 s/n 80

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

galinhdz(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:53 am    Post subject: Fuel Leaks Reply with quote

Once in a while I have had a "mystery fuel smell in the cockpit" that seemed to come from the co-pilot side but haven't been able to figure it out. It also seemed to happen more often, but not always, when the tanks were very full.

I just completed a conditional inspection yesterday and found the hose between the fuel tank and the fuselage on the co-pilot side had a tiny crack in it. Nothing seeping until I wiggled it around firmly. Then a drop of fuel would form. I replaced the hoses on both sides with new ones. My A&P said that on some other airplanes, these hoses are replaced every 5yrs.

Since I will be flying from Houston to Puerto Rico via Savannah, Tampa and Miami starting next week I will get a good opportunity to see if the "mystery smell" will finally go away.

Galin
N819PR

On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 6:07 AM, Graham Brighton <gbrighton(at)skymesh.com.au (gbrighton(at)skymesh.com.au)> wrote:
[quote] Yeah ..something to think about .. fuel migrating through the honeycomb skin... I have (and the previous owner ) a mystery fuel smell in the cockpit when the tank levels are high ...have searched every where but never found a stain or any wetness .... annoying,  but nothing ever found visible .... as yet .!!!

Graham

TR1 s/n 80

[quote] ---

kentpyle(at)iland.net

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:55 am    Post subject: Fuel Leaks Reply with quote

Galin, I used the fuel hoses that have the steel mesh incorporated into the hose. Hopefully this will prevent the leaks in that area.

By the way, I was talking to my mechanic about fuel leaks. He said how would you know it was an airplane, if you couldn't smell fuel.

Kent
[quote] ---

galinhdz(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:33 pm    Post subject: Fuel Leaks Reply with quote

HAHAHA  I like your mechanic's point of view which is so true!

My mechanic told me to stay away from wing/in-line filters if possible. They just insert another possible failure point in the fuel line. More lines clog at a filter than anywhere else. He says a properly designed fuel system with a good gascolator is more than sufficient unless you have fuel injection which is another story.

Galin
N819PR

On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 9:54 AM, kent pyle <kentpyle(at)iland.net (kentpyle(at)iland.net)> wrote:
[quote] Galin, I used the fuel hoses that have the steel mesh incorporated into the hose.  Hopefully this will prevent the leaks in that area.

By the way, I was talking to my mechanic about fuel leaks.  He said how would you know it was an airplane, if you couldn't smell fuel.

Kent
[quote] ---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> KIS-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: