Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

(off topic) Aircraft Ground to the hangar floor when parked

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
toddheffley

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:43 am    Post subject: (off topic) Aircraft Ground to the hangar floor when parked Reply with quote

ALL

Sorry for the distractor... but I am on a quest for "Simple Science" FACTS to rebuff some "Hanger Talk" about grounding aircraft when parked.

MOST military, some heavy maintenance bases , and a few General aviation facilities provide and use ground wires to the hangar floor when aircraft are parked.

Why is that so???

The reasons I have gathered are:

1. "Grounds Out" static electricity when the aircraft is being polished (sounds reasonable)

2. "Grounds Out" the airplane if the hangar is struck by lightening (sounds like hanger talk)

3. Reduces Galvanic corrosion by dissimilar metals in the landing gear. ( sounds like hanger talk)

4. Provides path to ground in the event of a 220VAC Ground Power Unit being wired wrong and/or failure of the Green ground wire from the Mains supply (sounds reasonable). This has been witnessed by one our staff.

5. Reduces chances of damage to ESD components, for example, when removing Printed Circuit Cards from cages. (sounds reasonable)

6. Some Hanger Keepers insurance policies require it. (I have yet to see one...hanger talk)

7. And finally, the most common answer.... Because the Army told me to ground the airplane 30 years ago and I have been doing it ever since........(hanger talk accepted blindly with no supporting rationale)

The accepted norms from several (Military) documents are: <10K Ohms to SOIL.... and/or ~MilliOhms to the Electrical grounds in the building Mains Supply.

I figure with the brain power and diverse backgrounds here on the list, SOMEONE should be able to add real knowledge to this subject.

Anyone?

Todd Heffley
Maintenance/Avionics background only..... plus a Champ restoration.

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List

Float Flyr

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:27 am    Post subject: (off topic) Aircraft Ground to the hangar floor when parked Reply with quote

If all aircraft in a hangar are bonded (grounded) to a common ground there
is no chance of a spark occurring between aircraft and all static is
immediately sent to ground.

The AMO (Authorized Maintenance Organization - Canada) I worked for did in
fact have a stipulation on the insurance requiring all aircraft on the
premises be bonded to ground, even the ones tied down outside. I never
actually saw the policy but I was told by the owner of the company such a
stipulation was in effect. On one occasion the insurance company did send
an inspector and he did check for grounds on all aircraft that may have fuel
in them.

Noel

--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

lm4(at)juno.com

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:40 am    Post subject: (off topic) Aircraft Ground to the hangar floor when parked Reply with quote

Tod,
I'll take a shot at this.
On hot,and particularly dry, days the fuel in the tanks will heat up and push the fumes out of the vent. The fumes, being heavier than air, will sink to the ground, asphalt, concrete or whatever. Should you rub against the plane or hit something that will make a spark there is a fair chance the spark will detonate the fume buildup on the ground. If the plane is grounded it will not contribute to a spark. I hope.
Larry
On Dec 17, 2010, at 9:43 AM, toddheffley wrote:

Quote:

ALL

Sorry for the distractor... but I am on a quest for "Simple Science" FACTS to rebuff some "Hanger Talk" about grounding aircraft when parked.

MOST military, some heavy maintenance bases , and a few General aviation facilities provide and use ground wires to the hangar floor when aircraft are parked.

Why is that so???

Geoff Heap

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: (off topic) Aircraft Ground to the hangar floor when par Reply with quote

This would explain all the exploding hangars all over the country...Geoff

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: