Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gas Tanks larger than 5 gallons
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
biglar(at)gogittum.com

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:23 pm    Post subject: Gas Tanks larger than 5 gallons Reply with quote

You said it right, Ray. It's easy to master - with a little help - and very
satisfying when done. There are many fillers to use for different purposes,
and each has its' place. System Three resins in WA state has excellent
articles and video tapes available, too, as does West System Epoxies in (I
think) MI. I dealt with System 3 extensively when working on boats in
WA, and found them to be very helpful. Good Folks.
I'm also *quite* sure there are epoxy formulations to handle almost any
fuels and additives you might find anywhere. Once again, research is the
key. Lar. Do not Archive.
Larry Bourne
Palm Springs, CA
Building Kolb Mk III
N78LB Vamoose
www.gogittum.com

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Ralph Hoover

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas Tanks larger than 5 gallons Reply with quote

My Firestar is pre TNK as it is a 1990 KXP. The fuel tank opening is 10" x 10" and will hold the standard 5 gal. tank as supplied by Kolb. After searching the world of plastics (The industry that I work in), I have found a retro-fit tank of 10 gal. Retro-fit as in NO MODIFICATIONS to the plane! I personally like that. The material of choice is the same material as the present tanks, Polyethlyene!
The key here is UV RATED..as in "can be used for fuel"! Very important, as the un UV rated not for fuel poleyethelynes. The Ploy tanks must have a Chlorene treat on the inside. This adds a hardness to the inside surface keeping the fuels from degrading the tank as the tank is made of derivatives of petrochemicals. The tank that I am speaking of is avaliable from the following:
Very Happy Shocked
Diverse Plastic Tanks, Inc.
jim.toni(at)plastictanks.ca
Tel: (800) 685-3174 or (905) 607-5189
Fax: (905) 607-9835
The tank as sold DOES NOT have the chlorene treat, However Jim Tony at the above company can give you the name of a company that does treat them. There is a drawing avaliable on their web site. Just type in their name on your search engine!
The cost of p/n 209010 10 USG
24"L x 10"W x 10"h
with 1 - 4" Black Vented twist lock cap is US$ 121.80 Tank is in stock
Delivery: Approx. 4- 5 days from receipt of approved drawing Drawing of the tank is available on our (their) website. Sad Sad
The way I proposed the tank to tony, as these tanks are spun molded (nice thick wall, no oilcanning) is to install the fill on one of the ends offset from center to allow a standard 24" long fuel probe to be installed without any modifications. the only addition one would need is to install a discharge port on the bottom corner like the smaller stock ones. It's overall lenght should fit under any obstructions above it's top. This you want to check as it is close quarters.
I realize that this seems a bit expensive. However, the added advantage of not having to modify my ship is real important. I'm a steel and plastics guy and modifying the structure of this machine doesn't excite me the slightest. Every other choice I found on the web offers too thin a wall, too little gain of gallonage, too much modifications or in the case of Aluminum, too much cost and you still have to rip into the stits material to install them.
An now instead of the dreaded "do not archive". Twisted Evil I need to say "forgive the poor spelling" as this &

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Paul Petty

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Gas Tanks larger than 5 gallons Reply with quote

John,
What did was cut one steel tube and make a sleeve on each side to reinstall the tube after the fuel tank was installed. Then I made a cardboard model of the fuel tank and shipped it to Mark German of Areofab. He welded up a nice aluminum fuel tank complete with stainless steel hold downs and made me custom aluminum saddels for it to rest on the tail boom. Very pleased Very Happy

Kolbra #12
Ms Dixie
912 UL 70" warp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: