Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pulsar-List Digest: 0 Msgs - 01/15/11

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Pulsar-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob H

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:42 am    Post subject: Pulsar-List Digest: 0 Msgs - 01/15/11 Reply with quote

Heater Solutions-
I have avoided using the original Pulsar XP heater because of possible CO entrainment into cabin. So I tried installing a heat exchanger to use engine coolant as heating source but could not get sufficient heat and the cowl got really cluttered with additional plumbing.
So I'm asking whether anyone with the original heater that brought in cowl air from behind radiator ever had issues with CO contamination? It makes an easy heating source as long as no bad stuff gets in.
Bob H
--

- The Matronics Pulsar-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Pulsar-List
ccoulter(at)wavecable.com

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:10 pm    Post subject: Pulsar-List Digest: 0 Msgs - 01/15/11 Reply with quote

On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 10:27:43 -0800 (GMT-08:00)
bobh5(at)earthlink.net wrote:
[quote]

Heater Solutions-
I have avoided using the original Pulsar XP heater
because of possible CO entrainment into cabin. So I tried
installing a heat exchanger to use engine coolant as
heating source but could not get sufficient heat and the
cowl got really cluttered with additional plumbing.
So I'm asking whether anyone with the original heater
that brought in cowl air from behind radiator ever had
issues with CO contamination? It makes an easy heating
source as long as no bad stuff gets in.
Bob H

--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

freedom4life(at)xtra.co.n

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:25 pm    Post subject: Pulsar-List Digest: 0 Msgs - 01/15/11 Reply with quote

Hi Bob

I have the original designed heater collecting heat from behind the
radiator. It will supply moderate heat during winter and I have never had a
problem with CO. I did change my exhaust system to something similar to
Rick Thomasen's? design. The original system cracked on numerous
occassions. I have not had any problems with the new exhaust system and it
has been on now for over 1200 hours. The draw back with this heater system
is once I have got to the top of any mountain and start my descent there is
very little heat comes from it as CHT falls to 80 C or less. I have
purchased an oil thermostat and perhaps when this is fitted it may help with
maintaining warmer temperatures through the core?

Cliff
[quote] Heater Solutions-
I have avoided using the original Pulsar XP heater because of possible CO
entrainment into cabin. So I tried installing a heat exchanger to use
engine coolant as heating source but could not get sufficient heat and the
cowl got really cluttered with additional plumbing.
So I'm asking whether anyone with the original heater that brought in cowl
air from behind radiator ever had issues with CO contamination? It makes
an easy heating source as long as no bad stuff gets in.
Bob H
--

w7ikt(at)fly-web.us

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:44 pm    Post subject: Pulsar-List Digest: 0 Msgs - 01/15/11 Reply with quote

Used the orgional Aero Designs Heater.
No Problems either with the SkyStar exhaust system or Tick T system.
Plenty of heat with the oil temp around 200 F.
Note: it is not used very often.
Pulsar XP N912RV
Shaving the Way to Conquer Kids' Cancer,
Bob & Carol Heiser
web page www.fly-web.us
---

ronko(at)att.net

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:48 pm    Post subject: Pulsar-List Digest: 0 Msgs - 01/15/11 Reply with quote

Bob,

Have you looked at "The Neat Heater"
http://store.leadingedgeairfoils.com/product_info.php?products_id=14953
and its installation kit
http://store.leadingedgeairfoils.com/product_info.php?products_id=14954
new, from Leading Edge Air Foils?

I created a similar system for my 582 win a 5" radiator used for liquid cooling computer microprocessor chips. Their are lots of radiators out their like this of all different sizes and layers of cooling coils. Nice thing is most use pipe fitting that are easily available at larger auto parts stores (I have a Napa Auto parts warehouse that I am a frequent customer and they are always willing to search for plumbing solutions). The radiator I bought already had the correct hole spacing for a 5" (120mm) computer fan which also run off of 12Vdc.

I wish my system provided more heat. I think most of the time in cold weather, I am fussing with the right amount of duct tape blocking the radiators to get the coolant up in temperature, but not to cause over heating, and I am always running on the cool side.  Plus when my heater core valves are open, they share (parallel) the flow that goes through the nose radiators and I believe that the net flow through the heater core is low.

I too like the radiator core heater system in the cabin system, but mine needs improvement also.

Ron

To: pulsar-list(at)matronics.com
Sent: Sun, January 16, 2011 12:27:43 PM
Subject: Re: Pulsar-List Digest: 0 Msgs - 01/15/11

--> Pulsar-List message posted by: bobh5(at)earthlink.net (bobh5(at)earthlink.net)

Heater Solutions-
I have avoided using the original Pulsar XP heater because of possible CO entrainment into cabin. So I tried installing a heat exchanger to use engine coolant as heating source but could not get sufficient heat and the cowl got really cluttered with additional plumbing.
So I'm asking whether anyone with the original heater that brought in cowl air from behind radiator ever had issues with CO contamination? It makes an easy heating source as long as no bad stuff gets in.
Bob H
--

ghf4986(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:03 pm    Post subject: Pulsar-List Digest: 0 Msgs - 01/15/11 Reply with quote

Hi Bob,

I have been using the original heater design but with a CO2 monitor.  Also I get some amount of air leakage around the canopy.  I have flown the plane at 16 degrees F and was marginally warm.   My oil temp was running at about 230 degrees F.

I installed an oil temperature thermostat when I was building the plane and it seemed to work well last winter.  This summer the oil temps were too hot so I removed the thermostat and now I have not been able this winter to fly as our weather has been terrible, low fog and clouds.

I am anxious to get in the air and see how my oil temps are and cabin heat.

Regards,

Dennis Adams
N3756CM

On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 11:27 AM, <bobh5(at)earthlink.net (bobh5(at)earthlink.net)> wrote:
[quote]--> Pulsar-List message posted by: bobh5(at)earthlink.net (bobh5(at)earthlink.net)

Heater Solutions-
Bob H

--

jerry(at)craftworks.biz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:53 pm    Post subject: Pulsar-List Digest: 0 Msgs - 01/15/11 Reply with quote

BOB, I HAVE HAD THE ORIGINAL PULSAR HEATER SINCE BUILDING THE PLANE, I DIDN'T EVEN GIVE AERO DESIGNS ANY MONEY FOR IT BECAUSE THEY SENT ME A DRAWING OF IT AND I THOUGHT I CAN MAKE THIS IN 5 MINUTES AND DID. TOTAL HEATING SYSTEM WEIGHT ABOUT 1 POUND! AND I CAN GO OUT ON A 5 DEGREE DAY IN A T-SHIRT AND BE JUST FINE! CO PROBLEM... NEVER BUT I DO HAVE A CO DETECTOR AND HAVE NEVER HAD A WARNING FROM IT. JERRY

-----ORIGINAL MESSAGE-----
FROM: OWNER-PULSAR-LIST-SERVER(at)MATRONICS.COM [MAILTO:OWNER-PULSAR-LIST-SERVER(at)MATRONICS.COM] ON BEHALF OF BOBH5(at)EARTHLINK.NET
SENT: SUNDAY, JANUARY 16, 2011 1:28 PM
TO: PULSAR-LIST(at)MATRONICS.COM
SUBJECT: PULSAR-LIST: RE: PULSAR-LIST DIGEST: 0 MSGS - 01/15/11

--> PULSAR-LIST MESSAGE POSTED BY: BOBH5(at)EARTHLINK.NET

HEATER SOLUTIONS-
I HAVE AVOIDED USING THE ORIGINAL PULSAR XP HEATER BECAUSE OF POSSIBLE CO ENTRAINMENT INTO CABIN. SO I TRIED INSTALLING A HEAT EXCHANGER TO USE ENGINE COOLANT AS HEATING SOURCE BUT COULD NOT GET SUFFICIENT HEAT AND THE COWL GOT REALLY CLUTTERED WITH ADDITIONAL PLUMBING.
SO I'M ASKING WHETHER ANYONE WITH THE ORIGINAL HEATER THAT BROUGHT IN COWL AIR FROM BEHIND RADIATOR EVER HAD ISSUES WITH CO CONTAMINATION? IT MAKES AN EASY HEATING SOURCE AS LONG AS NO BAD STUFF GETS IN.
BOB H
-----ORIGINAL MESSAGE-----
Quote:
FROM: PULSAR-LIST DIGEST SERVER <PULSAR-LIST(at)MATRONICS.COM>
SENT: JAN 15, 2011 11:57 PM
TO: PULSAR-LIST DIGEST LIST <PULSAR-LIST-DIGEST(at)MATRONICS.COM>
SUBJECT: PULSAR-LIST DIGEST: 0 MSGS - 01/15/11

==================================================
ONLINE VERSIONS OF TODAY'S LIST DIGEST ARCHIVE
==================================================

TODAY'S COMPLETE PULSAR-LIST DIGEST CAN ALSO BE FOUND IN EITHER OF THE
TWO WEB LINKS LISTED BELOW. THE .HTML FILE INCLUDES THE DIGEST FORMATTED
IN HTML FOR VIEWING WITH A WEB BROWSER AND FEATURES HYPERLINKED INDEXES
AND MESSAGE NAVIGATION. THE .TXT FILE INCLUDES THE PLAIN ASCII VERSION
OF THE PULSAR-LIST DIGEST AND CAN BE VIEWED WITH A GENERIC TEXT EDITOR
SUCH AS NOTEPAD OR WITH A WEB BROWSER.

HTML VERSION:

HTTP://WWW.MATRONICS.COM/DIGEST/DIGESTVIEW.PHP?STYLE=82701&VIEW=HTML&CHAPTER 11-01-15&ARCHIVE=PULSAR

TEXT VERSION:

HTTP://WWW.MATRONICS.COM/DIGEST/DIGESTVIEW.PHP?STYLE=82701&VIEW=TXT&CHAPTER 11-01-15&ARCHIVE=PULSAR
================================================
EMAIL VERSION OF TODAY'S LIST DIGEST ARCHIVE
================================================

----------------------------------------------------------
PULSAR-LIST DIGEST ARCHIVE
---
TOTAL MESSAGES POSTED SAT 01/15/11: 0
----------------------------------------------------------

TODAY'S MESSAGE INDEX:
----------------------

kdpalmer(at)mweb.co.za

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:19 pm    Post subject: Pulsar-List Digest: 0 Msgs - 01/15/11 Reply with quote

Hi Bob,
Did you use a fan behind your heat exchanger in the cockpit ?

Keith

---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Pulsar-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: