Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ever Happen To You ? ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Pulsar-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bernard.wilder2(at)gmail.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:43 am    Post subject: Ever Happen To You ? ? Reply with quote

To avoid speculation as you read :

The canopy was latched and the pins in the back of the canopy were and still are as per specks as are the holes in the bulkhead into which they fit.

On final - a little hot and high.

Pulled nose up and bled off speed. Put her into a forward slip nose to starboard - airspeed 75 - 80.

Wanted to loose altitude faster so pushed the nose farther to starboard to about 35 degrees off center. Pushed nose down and kept air speed at about 75 mph. ((Though with the pitot tube at this angle, accuracy of airspeed can be questioined.))

On the starboard side, the pin can out of its hole, roller came out of its channel, canopy flexed up and
out so could see an inch and a half gap between cockpit edge and the bottom of the canopy.  It was of course flapping.

Port side of the canopy  stayed put.

Straightened out made a normal landing.  Pushed canopy forward, pulled it in and put roller back in its channel. Closed canopy and it fit as normal.

Looked everything over and found no sign that anything had happened.
No blood - Not foul ! ! ! !

Subsequent flights normal.

The only explanation that I can think of is that at the angle of attack wind was coming over the canopy at an angle such that it generated lift, distorted the shape of the canopy  and pulled the starboard side  up and out.

What do you think - other than 35 degrees is probably too extreme an angle of slip for a Pulsar.

Bernie Wilder
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Pulsar-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Pulsar-List
mortweaver(at)sbcglobal.n

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:25 am    Post subject: Ever Happen To You ? ? Reply with quote

Bernard -
I suspect one the major variables in trying to compare your individual hand made canopy to another builders is the amount of spring-back you ended up with between the rear horse shoe shaped frame member sides.  I would think the air side load presented, during your approach with crab profile, offered enough compressive force to canopy rear frame member to cause the windward side roller to become disengaged.  I have noticed that a warm canopy is easier to compress during installation than a cold one.  I was liberal with the uniglass when I built my canopy.  If I had experienced what you have described, I would reglass the inside surface of the rear frame member with one thin layer of carbon fiber tape (uniglass) to stiffen it up.  The carbon fiber is less weight than standard fiber glass.  You will have to cut and overlap individual pieces around the horse shoe shaped frame member.  I am glad to hear you did not loose your canopy in flight.
Dave Weaver - N912GR  

--- On Sat, 1/22/11, Bernard Wilder <bernard.wilder2(at)gmail.com> wrote:
Subject: Ever Happen To You ? ?
To: "Pulsar Net" <pulsar-list(at)matronics.com>
Date: Saturday, January 22, 2011, 10:41 AM

To avoid speculation as you read :

The canopy was latched and the pins in the back of the canopy were and still are as per specks as are the holes in the bulkhead into which they fit.

On final - a little hot and high.

Pulled nose up and bled off speed. Put her into a forward slip nose to starboard - airspeed 75 - 80.

Wanted to loose altitude faster so pushed the nose farther to starboard to about 35 degrees off center. Pushed nose down and kept air speed at about 75 mph. ((Though with the pitot tube at this angle, accuracy of airspeed can be questioined.))

On the starboard side, the pin can out of its hole, roller came out of its channel, canopy flexed up and
out so could see an inch and a half gap between cockpit edge and the bottom of the canopy.  It was of course flapping.

Port side of the canopy  stayed put.

Straightened out made a normal landing.  Pushed canopy forward, pulled it in and put roller back in its channel. Closed canopy and it fit as normal.

Looked everything over and found no sign that anything had happened.
No blood - Not foul ! ! ! !

Subsequent flights normal.

The only explanation that I can think of is that at the angle of attack wind was coming over the canopy at an angle such that it generated lift, distorted the shape of the canopy  and pulled the starboard side  up and out

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

kdpalmer(at)mweb.co.za

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:38 pm    Post subject: Ever Happen To You ? ? Reply with quote

Hi,
I had often thought of having a retainer at the most aft position of the wheel track, so when closed the wheel could not jump out of the track, but never got round to it.
[quote] ---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Pulsar-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: